Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Taking a car seat on a plane

(11 Posts)
sunbeater Tue 02-Oct-18 12:03:51

I am taking a long haul flight next week to see family and my daughter has asked if it is possible that I take the baby car seat over that she uses when she stays with us. I am happy to take it but wonder if it might get damaged by baggage handlers. What do you think? Has anyone else checked a car seat in?

silverlining48 Tue 02-Oct-18 12:17:48

Think my daughter took a car seat short haul a few years ago, it was ok, but there’s always a risk of damage I suppose. Not sure why you need to take a car seat, surely she has one. Not my business of course. Enjoy your trip.

Nonnie Tue 02-Oct-18 12:24:27

I wouldn't do it, not if you think about the way they throw things around. You wouldn't necessarily know if it was damaged as such damage wouldn't show. Charity shops won't take them, not even unused ones, because you cannot see if they have been damaged.

patcaf Tue 02-Oct-18 16:20:33

Yes, several times and just last month. Never had any issues and not been charged.

winterwhite Tue 02-Oct-18 16:30:53

May well be a charge if just luggage - with no infant checked in.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Oct-18 17:07:08

They are free if you have an infant, not sure if you will face a charge on your own.

Have never had a problem with putting one through with buggy and cases.

sunbeater Tue 02-Oct-18 20:05:09

Thanks for all the replies. The parents have decided it's worth a try and they are prepared to pay any extra baggage fee so I'll probably take it with me.

Situpstraight1 Tue 02-Oct-18 20:40:27

My problem would still be that there might be unseen damage done to the seat, this might only come to light in an accident.

trisher Tue 02-Oct-18 21:33:29

We took 2 with us when we went to Majorca -cheaper than hiring them. My son wrappped one in black plastic bags, but the other one went uncovered, both were fine, there and back and were used for a considerable period after we came home. Go for it!

notanan2 Tue 02-Oct-18 21:36:27

Nope nope nope.
Its okay if you are taking them in the cabin (you can with some kinds) but if you check it in you could ruin the shock absorption without ever knowing as it may still look externally fine.

notanan2 Tue 02-Oct-18 21:37:00

(To take them by hand you need to have a kid in it!)