Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Granddaughter 14 years old

(18 Posts)
Ladybird114 Wed 07-Nov-18 09:12:11

When my granddaughter was young, my husband and I babysat her three days a week and we were very close. So close that when it was time for her to go home, she would cry, and her mother (my dil) said to me once, "I think she likes you more than me." Over the years we stayed close, visiting her at least once a week, picking her up after school and taking her out for pizza or a smoothie. We stopped doing that when she was in sixth grade, when she started spending after school time with friends. For the last two years, she has pulled away from us to the point of being rude to us. I will text her and she doesn't answer. I tried joking on the texts, but that didn't get a response. After trying for a few weeks, I just gave up. I have told her that I feel badly that she doesn't answer me, but she chose to ignore that. I'm not sure why she is doing this. She is an only child; however, we do have other grandchildren that we spend time with. At one point, I thought maybe she was jealous of me spending time with the younger children. Anyway, I think I just wanted to vent, and to see if anyone else has had this type of reaction from their teenage grandchild. Thanks in advance...

CassieJ Wed 07-Nov-18 09:25:59

It is just her age, she is growing up. All teenagers at some point go through this.
I would step back and stop texting her. She knows where you are. Be there when she wants to see you, but don't push yourself onto her.

B9exchange Wed 07-Nov-18 09:34:17

Ours haven't quite reached that stage, but I know it will come as they get older. One headmaster I knew referred to it as 'the long dark tunnel of adolescence, don't worry, they will emerge'. My guess is that when she reaches 18, if not before, she will become lovely again. It won't be the same relationship you had before, but on a more equal footing. I am sure she still loves you and would be devastated if anything happened to you, but at that age they are completely inward focused, and their peers are all they are interested in. Write her the occasional loving letter, (everyone loves those, even in these days of social media) and wait for her to grow through it.

PECS Wed 07-Nov-18 09:40:45

My DGD1 is 13 now. Like you we have had a lot of involvement in her life. It is lovely to see her develop more independence & I know there will soon be a time when we are less of a priority for her. I think backing off a bit..just a text on a Friday for example wishing her a good weekend, keeps the links open but not sound too needy. I am sure she will be " back" ! I guess I dropped out of my grandma's life a bit at that stage & only saw her when I had to. but after a while I started popping in to see her on my way to or from town. Hope it works out. flowers

trisher Wed 07-Nov-18 10:44:34

She's a teenager. She's self centered and pre-occupied. She wants to show she is grown up and independent. I'm sure she doesn't mean to hurt you. In fact some would say the fact that she behaves as she does shows how certain she is of your love and affection. Step back. Send her happy and chatty texts maybe once a month and wait. She will grow up. She may come back to you quicker if you give her space.

Buffybee Wed 07-Nov-18 10:54:16

Not a teenager but my 10 year old Grandson.
He is the most loving and gorgeous individual towards me when he is in his home.
When I arrive he shouts Grandma and runs and hugs me around my waist.
But, if I see him playing football with his friends while I am walking my dog, he either totally ignores me or will occasionally give me a slight head nod.
So funny! I just smile to myself and walk past as if I don't know him.
I just think it's to do with the fact that he's growing up and making a fuss of his Grandma would ruin his "street cred". ?

paddyann Wed 07-Nov-18 11:05:05

Its normal ,she's 14 .There will be worse to come believe me .She will come through it and come back .Just text now and again or msg her on FB ,they prefer to communicate that way .

LullyDully Wed 07-Nov-18 12:34:55

My DVD is 13 and is growing up fast. She loves us but is not so cuddly as she was. She does have her moments.

I understand, at that age she needs to be with her peers. She can be rude but always later tells us she loves us. I miss the days when we used to have stories and sit round the kitchen table with boxes. , paint, glitter and glue. If we cook together now she just gets on with it without my help.

However she has to change and develop her own views and way of life as she slowly becomes a woman.

We still love her to bits as she approaches my height; she out grew her mother a year ago.

travelsafar Wed 07-Nov-18 13:31:47

I can remember being this way with my nan, and it makes me feel sad, she would take us out for day trips to the circus and seaside and each year one of us went on holiday with her. We also took it in turns to stay over at her flat for the weekend and she eventually moved into a little bungalow and i loved going there. I had a special plate with flowers on it for my meals and i would help her do her washing using the mangle which she kept in the garden shed. She let me try her face powder and lipstick and she taught me how to play cards and how to knit. But as i grew older, a teenager, my friends became more important and i got selfish. Only now i am older do i wish i hadn't grown away from her. Its too late now i just hope your grand daughter doesnt regret it when she gets older.

pensionpat Wed 07-Nov-18 15:58:34

I was fully prepared for this “pulling away”, having had 2 sons, but luckily it hasn’t happened yet. DGS coming up to 16. We took him to a rock concert on Monday, just to see him him safely there in the big city. As we approached the queue I said “ you don’t have to kiss me”. He replied “I’m not embarrassed to show I love my family”.

BlueBelle Wed 07-Nov-18 16:12:12

My 15 year old grandaughter rarely answer my texts but she always knows who to text if she needs something ???I accept it as I know she loves me and just trying to become an adult It’s natural to pull away she ll come back when she’s realised we re still there I did so much with my Nan but walked out without a second glance when I fell in love I did look after her in old age so I hope she knows how much I loved her

cornergran Wed 07-Nov-18 16:19:32

We’ve got a 12 year old who is just edging into this. Big hugs when we see her, radio silence if we send messages. It will pass, smile.

Ladybird114 Wed 07-Nov-18 16:47:02

Thanks so much for the replies! I will take the advice to not text her except maybe once a month. I guess I do come across as needy to her. I just miss the hugs and kisses!

Thanks again all!

Willow500 Wed 07-Nov-18 17:27:53

My 21 year old granddaughter has always been close to us although they moved away when she was 10 and never really went through that stage. However her younger sister who is 17 later this month is never in contact with us any more - she's always pleased to see us when we go but usually goes out with her friends or sits on her phone or game console when we're there. It's definitely an age thing - give her time and she'll come back to you. It happened with our sons too. when they were teenagers especially the younger one/

LullyDully Wed 07-Nov-18 19:39:52

Ladybird. We email our DGD every week. We just get a X back, that will do.

GrandmaFaye Thu 15-Nov-18 01:32:44

I tell my Gd to send me a ❤️Just so I know she got my text and she usually does

Apricity Thu 15-Nov-18 03:04:38

She's 14, it all sounds like pretty normal teenage stuff. Maybe things have become even more complicated these days with mobile phones. We can contact people more often than in the past and we expect replies. Leave her alone, be there when she needs you and I'm sure that, in time, all those good loving foundations laid down when she was little will still be there.

absent Thu 15-Nov-18 04:59:44

I was a horrible teen. Absentdaughter was a horrible teen. The oldest boy has gone that way. Next one – girl – doesn't look as though she is going to be a nightmare, but only time will tell. The next girl down is certainly going to be hard. It mostly works out in the end.