Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Concerned about Grandson’s diet

(57 Posts)
GrandmaFaye Sat 24-Nov-18 18:49:28

Hello,
I have a 9 year old grandson who eats a very limited diet. He has never eaten any meat or vegetables.

He only eats, Doritos, Peanuts, Peanut Butter on bread that has to be trimmed and toasted, French Fries, certain types of potato chips or Chocolates.

I know this sounds ridiculous and it is! Both parents humor him and will not try and get him to try other foods and they get upset if anybody else tries.

His mom says his physician says he is healthy and that is all that matters.

He carries a lunch box everywhere he goes with “his kind” of foods even to family gatherings.

Has anyone else had any experience with this type of thing ?

I wonder if it’s an eating disorder ?

EllanVannin Sun 25-Nov-18 17:42:34

I wouldn't worry about it. The more you show concern the more he'll continue with his own " diet ". Just ignore it.

Riggie Sun 25-Nov-18 18:08:46

If he doesn't like the smell of food then is there something sensory going on? Does he have additional needs?

BlueBelle Sun 25-Nov-18 18:10:32

Here we go I wondered how long it would take someone to diagnose a syndrome He’s just a little lad who is controlling his diet not uncommon wait till he gets a girlfriend haha

Deedaa Sun 25-Nov-18 21:58:46

I'm sorry BlueBelle but his limited diet was one of the first signs we had of GS1's autism. Nothing with tomatoes, so no pizza or baked beans and pasta was eaten plain with a bit of butter. Peer pressure had no effect because he was quite happy not to eat anything, He enjoys cooking, but don't expect him to eat what he cooks. Now he's 12 he's slightly more adventurous and will eat chicken drum sticks if they are really crunchy.

phoenix Sun 25-Nov-18 22:34:32

How on earth did this situation develop? Surely as a baby/toddler he was given a variety of foods to eat? hmm

gillybob Sun 25-Nov-18 22:43:57

My ex neighbours (both teachers) are at their wits end with their now 14 year old DD, who lives on white bread, white chips, mashed cauliflower, ReadyBrek and not a lot more.... she is very overweight (not sure how considering her very limited diet). They were constantly told she would grow out of it but it seems that she hasn’t .

I wonder if 'baby-led weaning' could lead to problems if babies are not encouraged to try different tastes and textures and only eat what they prefer?

I think maybe you could have a point amethyst as the mum I know was obsessed with her baby looking anything less than clean and perfect at all times. So much so that she only fed her white food.

stella1949 Mon 26-Nov-18 07:50:41

One of my nephews never ate anything except sausages and cheese sandwiches. I saw him frequently until he was about 14 and I never knew him to eat any other food. His parents tried everything - they were very healthy eaters themselves - but he wouldn't eat any other thing.

He was always very healthy. I saw him a few years ago, he is now about 30 and working as a business manager, healthy and happy. I asked him about his famous diet - and he said that he now eats a few other things because his wife makes him !

travelsafar Mon 26-Nov-18 08:07:39

I can remember putting small portions of our food in the liquidiser for my DC when they were babies. They ate everything from curry, chillie con carne and roast dinners with different veggies and meats. As soon as they had learned how to chew they just had what ever was available, apple, oranges a great favourite as they 'squirted'when they bit into the segments, banana mashed up, they now all eat whatever is put in front of them.I do wonder if now the powers that be have frightened young mums about what a child should and shouldn't have when they are being weaned.

EllanVannin Mon 26-Nov-18 08:29:00

Phoenix, it does make you wonder.

aggie Mon 26-Nov-18 08:40:24

My eldest grandson ate everything , even helped himself to raw onions and came back for more ! till he was school age but now refuses even to look at vegetables . He will eat my home made soup , but only if I whizz it ! White bread sandwiches with cheese and ham are his staple school lunch box . When I ask him and tell about him eating fruit and veg being important , he just says that they tell him that at school , but he can't be bothered eating them . One day I just plonked soup in front of him , he carefully left the veg and sifted out the liquid ! He is 15 and nearly 6foot and a bit podgy , dont tell him I said that !!!

trisher Mon 26-Nov-18 09:25:36

About baby-led weaning if it is done properly it introduces a great variety of foods to the child very early on. It certainly doesn't restrict foods to one sort or colour. I remember DGD being offered bits of pepper and cucumber far earlier than my children ever were.
As for your GS GrandmaFaye I think there is lots of evidence that he may develop wider tastes when he is older, but you coud try offering a small addition at each meal and inviting him to try it (without any presure of course)

Pythagorus Mon 26-Nov-18 10:19:59

Let them get on with it. Not your child. You will only alienate them by saying anything. We walk a fine line with our adult children. When in doubt, say nowt!

SparklyGrandma Mon 26-Nov-18 10:32:36

My brother would only eat beans and those small freezer pizzas every day, with a Mars bar for breakfast. From about age 10 to 18.

At uni his diet was even worse.

He is a perfectly healthy adult, with a phd.

petra Mon 26-Nov-18 13:03:56

BlueBelle
9 yrs ago I would have said exactly the same as you grin
please don't find a syndrome for him
But then when you know that something is wrong with one of your own and through hrs and hrs of investigation you hit upon what 'it' is it makes life so much easier for everyone.

Nannarose Mon 26-Nov-18 14:14:51

It's true that a limited diet can be a sign of autism, but not necessarily. It can also be a sign of a child who feels 'out of control' of other aspects of their life, so controls the one that they can.

But some kids do just seem to do this.

We have a young relative whose similar insistence has continued into his late 30s. I realised when he was young, that if I was to be a help to the family, I simply had to accept this. I didn't encourage it, or comment on it (except when necessary, such as checking he had packed his own picnic).

He is physically healthy, holds down a good job and has a girlfriend, although they appear to be a couple who enjoy each others' company rather than a serious relationship.

I can't say that he seems to me to be as joyful and purposeful as many of the other young men in our family. But he is happier than many, and that is reason to be glad.

Ilovecheese Mon 26-Nov-18 15:43:20

But baby led weaning doesn't mean just giving them the foods they prefer.
They are given a range of foods to try, different tastes and textures, just like any other sort of weaning.

Helenlouise3 Mon 26-Nov-18 16:23:05

As a baby my son ate anything I gave him then all of a sudden, he started to refuse foods. As a teenager he ate no fruit or veg, didn't like rice, pasta or any form of potato apart from chips. this went on until he got married. Now he eats everything that's put in front of hi. His eldest son is 18 and is following in his footsteps. He only eats all type of meats plus chips, no fruit/veg etc yet he's never ill. Hopefully as he gets older things will improve. I'm certainly not worrying about it. I might add, that they both had to try a teaspoon of everything, before deciding they didn't like it.

GrandmaFaye Mon 26-Nov-18 20:54:54

I don’t know how many different types of food his parents introduced to him as a toddler. I wasn’t in their Home but very little. I ask very few questions and certainly don’t give any advice in an effort to keep the peace.

I can only assume that he was offered foods and when he refused they never offered again. I have offered different foods to him when he has been in my home but he refuses and I don’t push the issue.

As far as a “syndrome” I have wondered if he actually may have Aspergers. I have had extended family and friends ask about a “ diagnosis”, so it’s not like other people haven’t noticed, and I have to tell them that I don’t know.

He is very intelligent but is very socially withdrawn. He also has problems with eye to eye contact and is very immature for a 9 year old. He is very spoiled but I don’t think that is really the issue.

To my knowledge he has never been tested. Again, I don’t ask questions in order to keep the peace.

I just hope whatever is going on with him he will out grow it.

nanny2507 Mon 26-Nov-18 22:10:01

is he autistic? my son was a bit like this...cold sweetcorn, pizza. No crisps because they hurt his teeth etc

Deedaa Mon 26-Nov-18 23:33:28

Oh Nanny2507 the crisps hurting his teeth sounds so like my grandson! Actually on the whole he likes crunchy food - toast, biscuits, chicken nuggets and fish fingers if they have a really crisp coating. The thing that other people don't always understand is that they don't actually care much about eating and the whole "he'll eat it when he's hungry enough” thing doesn't work.

GrandmaFaye Mon 26-Nov-18 23:47:18

Nanny2507
He may be autistic. I have read more about Aspergers. Just how much difference is there between the two?

He is not my child so my hands are tied. If he were mine I would be driving dr’s crazy until they found out if or what the problem is.

If they have had him tested they have not voiced it to anyone in our family.

Isabel1 Tue 27-Nov-18 10:26:57

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Isabel1 Tue 27-Nov-18 10:29:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

aggie Tue 27-Nov-18 10:32:32

reported

Elrel Tue 27-Nov-18 14:40:43

Youngest grandson gradually stopped eating varied meals, especially rejecting fruit and veg. By the time he was 4 had to be coaxed to eat a banana and 10 grapes. At parties he politely asked for 'Buttered toast, please' and wasn't interested in burgers, fish fingers or pizza. Enjoys chocolate, biscuits and cake however,
At 6 he changed schools and the first day came out with a sticker saying 'Very Fussy Eater'. This avoided pressure from dinner ladies. School suggested 'Picky Eater Classes'!?
He does well academically and enjoys playing with friends, physically active (very slim). He dislikes being praised and becomes agitated if he's told he's done something well.