Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Absent granddaughter

(3 Posts)
rosieod1 Sat 15-Dec-18 00:25:08

My son met this woman a few years ago on his travels. Next thing he's going to be a dad. She's an American living in Mexico. My grandddaughter is born in Mexico.The relationship is rocky from the start,he only spends 6 months in Mexico,the other 6 in the UK working.For the first 3 years my gorgeous girl comes to the UK but then the parents totally fall apart and I haven't seen her in over 2 years now. My son still has intermittent contact with his daughter but the mother has severed all contact with me as it's my fault my son is a loser ??? He isn't. He
artbroken doesn't even cover how I feel. My only saving grace is my little grandson who lives only 10 minutes away from me and I look after him 2 days a week,that's exhausting but another story .Sorry for such a long rant x

stella1949 Sat 15-Dec-18 03:08:22

So sorry rosieodl , how difficult when our children have babies in other countries. You often hear of problems with different cultures, and children who hardly know one side of their family. I can only hope for your sake that the parents can come to some kind of amicable arrangement. Best wishes to you xx

agnurse Sat 15-Dec-18 04:06:38

This is a very sad situation. Your best bet is to speak to your son about seeing your GD. If and when she comes to see him, maybe he can arrange for her to see you as well.

When parents are not together, the general recommendation is that it is the responsibility of the AC to encourage the relationship between their child and the GP. In this case that would be your son.