Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What's the matter with me

(97 Posts)
Samiejb Wed 19-Dec-18 12:19:12

Hi everyone - just come home from a first school Christmas service - one grandson in year 1 and the younger one sitting with me. Please tell me why once they start singing I start crying and can't stop throughout the whole thing. It's not watching the little ones dressed up, it's the singing that gets me going. I feel and must look right stupid. I know I'm a bit emotional but this is ridiculous - even to the stage that I wonder if I should go at all.

Minerva Thu 20-Dec-18 11:19:24

I was afraid I would cry at my youngest grandson’s nativity, just as I always did at my own children’s Christmas concerts but no, it was just so funny that his mum and I could barely control our laughter. They had included every reception child so there were 5 Josephs and 4 Marys (one was off sick) but just one baby doll, 4 innkeepers though the only one with a speaking rôle was my grandson, two sets of wise men, numerous sheep and cattle and angels in fairy dresses. As always there was the child who stood up then couldn’t say a word and the one who couldn’t lift her head for nerves, the gabblers and the shouters and our little chap who added a little jiggle and then swallowed the second half of his sentence. It was wonderful and hilarious and I didn’t see any obvious tears.

Probably it helped that all the songs were sung to familiar nursery rhyme tunes. Traditional Carols always set me off.

BlueSapphire Thu 20-Dec-18 11:44:16

I cry now, but not when I was teaching infants. I was the one who had to teach the carols to the whole school, direct the choir and play the piano at the same time - I needed to be able to see the music!

Aepgirl Thu 20-Dec-18 12:05:40

It’s a granny thing. Take a look round and you will see many tears being shed or swallowed.

Patticake123 Thu 20-Dec-18 12:10:48

That video is brilliant. Last night I watched a film of my granddaughter singing at yesterday’s nativity, she sat watching with me and sang throughout, with such gusto and the occasional malapropism, I had a job not to laugh as well as cry. Such wonderful innocence.

CarlyD7 Thu 20-Dec-18 12:16:17

Doesn't have to be children for me, anyone singing carols (even me) starts me off. What is it about carols ??

Craftycat Thu 20-Dec-18 12:50:47

It wouldn't be the same unless all the mums & grannies were crying!! I always have a good weep.
Mind you my son was a bit miffed when they did Joseph & Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat his last year at Primary school & I sobbed throughout! He was Herod ( AKA Elvis) & it was just fantastic. We still remind him of it regularly & he's 44 now!

Annaram1 Thu 20-Dec-18 12:51:55

Thank you Shysal, for leading me to this BRILLIANT video which I will keep looking at for ever.

Craftycat Thu 20-Dec-18 12:52:07

Actually I cry at the little girl on the advert who goes to the top of the tree- every time it is on!

stree Thu 20-Dec-18 12:54:47

Me too......I am a Grandad as well..............

Elrel Thu 20-Dec-18 13:25:42

I was caught unawares in 1960. In my first job at a Camberwell primary school I took my junior class into the hall for a Christmas concert. The Reception class began to sing Away in a Manger and unexpectedly there were tears in my eyes. At the time I thought it was just me. It still gets me every time.
This year a Christmas card with a picture of robed choirboys walking to church pulled my heartstrings. I was remembering when my oldest grandson was in a church choir. The opening solo of Once in Royal David's City from King's College Chapel also moves me.

Gaggi3 Thu 20-Dec-18 13:26:44

I get tearful over DGC's nativity plays, but one year, when DD2 was away travelling and wouldn't be home for Christmas, I outdid myself by breaking down in tears in the Shopping Mall in Tunbridge Wells, when the carols started.

Elrel Thu 20-Dec-18 13:32:44

Minerva - We had a wonderful Joseph one year, when Mary told him she was expecting he ad libbed 'I'm deli'ed' with strong S London accent. Then a confident narrator popped up with 'Nine months la'er!'. Happy days, they must all be well into their 60s now, grandparents themselves.

Sheilasue Thu 20-Dec-18 13:45:18

The first year that out gd came to live with us, her class room teacher gave her the part of Mary in the nativity.
My dd and I were in tears watching her singing her head off.
I used to be a TA so when I worked with year 1 and 2 we would be busy rehearsing for the play. I always shed a tear as soon as the choir started singing.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 20-Dec-18 14:04:50

To answer your question: Nothing! We all do it. Part of the ageing process, I think.

Jannygran Thu 20-Dec-18 14:04:55

Yes, I think you're SUPPOSED to cry!

Joelise Thu 20-Dec-18 15:07:56

Shysal that is hilarious!

GrannyO Thu 20-Dec-18 15:34:51

Recorder music in a church sets me off without fail.

gerry86 Thu 20-Dec-18 15:38:52

Absolutely nothing wrong with you at all, I struggle to keep the tears from coming.

EllanVannin Thu 20-Dec-18 15:48:29

Absolutely hilarious shysal. I have got tears----with laughing.

BBbevan Thu 20-Dec-18 16:04:37

Bless her little cotton socks .

Nanny41 Thu 20-Dec-18 16:14:46

Its completely normal, its being human.

Rosina Thu 20-Dec-18 16:18:20

I only have to see a fruit cake at Christmas to well up. Children singing just finishes me off - working in a school for years I never attended the Christmas concert as I didn't want to emerge with a soggy face; I watched rehearsals and slid out when emotion got the better of me.

Emma49 Thu 20-Dec-18 16:30:21

Shysal brilliant.

cavewoman Thu 20-Dec-18 16:30:42

Shysal Thankyou so much! I've watched that clip three times now.Best laugh I've had for months grin

GabriellaG54 Thu 20-Dec-18 16:33:00

I always cried at my children's plays and even now, get emotional thinking about or watching an old DVD of their school plays, parties and sports days.
My GC and GGC live at some distance and so have not been able to attend so many of their school events, however, those I have seen get me quite choked but not as much as with my AC when they were small.