Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

War on obesity

(10 Posts)
BBbevan Tue 29-Jan-19 15:20:55

My DGD1 used to say "I'm going out to play with the old people" , meaning us. She was about 3. Of course the old people always went. When they stayed with us both DGDs were constantly on the go. They ate a lot also. We were exhausted when they went home, but we have 2 beautiful, healthy interesting GDs.

Florence64 Tue 29-Jan-19 14:42:25

As a child I spent a lot of time with my grandparents and much of that time was spent in their home around watching TV and eating. Neither of them were huge, but they were not particularly active people. Did I mind? Not a bit, it was nice to have a break from all the after school activities I would otherwise have been doing and to watch more TV than my parents would have allowed. It didn't do me any harm. They would also play games with me and make me things. We don't have to be 'supergran' or grandad to be good grandparents, we just need to be loving and caring. My daughter is super fit and she spends a lot of time doing outdoorsy things with the children and she says that taking a break from it all is something the kids look forward to when they come to me. You don't have to be running round the park or abseiling with your grandchildren, you could be watching a nice film with them or just letting them 'chill' when they come over.

jacq10 Tue 01-Jan-19 17:02:04

I'm an "ageing grandparent" myself but do my best. DGS does a "daily mile" when at school and I try to do the same with him when I have him during school holidays. I have him every day after school and he attends a couple of classes a week which have exercise factored in which I am thankful for when the weather doesn't allow us to be outside. He now has a pogo stick so will increase his exercise level somewhat and mine as we have to go to a nearby park for him to use it as my garden is on different levels and don't want to see him hurtling down it!

Cherrytree59 Tue 01-Jan-19 16:00:41

Should be My DGS 'other' grandmother...

Cherrytree59 Tue 01-Jan-19 15:57:08

Anja you are redressing the balance.
My Dgs grandmother lives quite a distance away, she is older and has major health issues.
She loves the boys dearly but can not play or go to the park with them
So when she does see them which is not as often as us (we help with childcare) she makes sure she gets all their favourite foods and treats in.
Its her way of showing the boys how much she cares along with kisses and cuddles of course.

We on the other hand have the boys frequently and as with dogs, boys require walks and exercise.

As a youngster my DD played outside with her brother but if it was wet and cold would quite happily colour or play quietly, her brother on the other hand was out on his bike.

Times have changed and children are no longer 'let out to play' and parents and grandparents are watchful at all times.

Whilst in my own grandparents care, my grandmother would carry on with her own jobs.
However when baking knitting or crocheting she would always try to show and encourage me.
The cake tin was always full of lovely baking.

Difficult, if grandparents are looking after grandchildren to help working parents but are not as able as younger grandparents (young children can run fast!) it not be easy to get involved in exercise, trips to park etc
Some GPs are looking after several grandchildren of mixed ages.

Nonnie Tue 01-Jan-19 15:45:47

Yes, there must be grandparents like that but we should not all be labelled in that way.

I can only speak for myself but I don't normally buy any sweets or chocolate for my GC when they come. They live abroad so we don't see them on a day by day basis so they do have treats when they come here but not food treats. When we Skyped just before they came for Christmas DS was teasing one and saying he didn't like chocolate which he said he did. It became obvious that he thought he would get chocolate for Christmas so I had to rush out and buy some. I did see him eat a couple of small pieces and assume the rest was put away.

There are lots of ways to 'spoil' grandchildren and most of them don't involve sitting around, watching TV and eating!

Anja Tue 01-Jan-19 15:08:37

Yes, but to be logical cherrytree you are not seeing those who are not out and about. Firstly you are the kind of grandparent a child should have, but I know my co-grandparent doesn’t get off her substantial backside when she visits the grandchildren and moans if anyone suggest going out for a walk etc..

Thank goodness she doesn’t live closer. She helped raise her other child’s children after a fashion and getting out and about just didn’t feature in her childminding. They were plugged into the TV all day.

Cherrytree59 Tue 01-Jan-19 14:40:41

Mr Fry should look after my grandsons for a day.
4 and 5 year olds.
Parks, forest walks including den building, gruffalo trail and thats just this school holiday. Then back home to our house for tea and crumpets.
Out comes the lego or hot wheels for half an hour or so and then its shall we (as in us) go in the garden and play ball or golf.
I would say that
grandchildren help with
grandparent obesity.
And before anyone says we are the exception we see plenty of granparents with grandchildren out and about whatever the weather or season.

Rainsuits, wellies and thats just the grandparentsgrin

M0nica Tue 01-Jan-19 13:59:15

I have been looking up this statement. It was made over a year ago and does seem to have substantial research to back it up.

The problem is these sort of people will make statements as if it is what every grandparent does rather than only, many, possiblynot even a majority.

jacq10 Tue 01-Jan-19 12:43:40

According to Tam Fry (Chairman of the National Obesity Forum) "catching sight of the grandparents is bliss. If the old folk haven't already got a biscuit tin in their hands , pestering them to get one will soon produce the desired result ". We are also guilty of "not letting them out to play due to our age and let them watch too much TV so we can get on with our housework"!!!