Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Visitation rights

(7 Posts)
Nitecafe Thu 03-Jan-19 04:51:46

Hi Everyone, I'm new at this so here it goes. I have been awarded visitation rights for my 2 granddaughters for 4 hours a week. My daughter is so angry that the courts awarded me the visitation. She came into a large amount of money and has decided to move 350 miles away. She never told me that she would be moving or that she inherited $400,000 dollars (I learned this info from a friend of mind) I'm 70 and don't drive and live on social security. She will be telling the courts that she wants to move do to a job transfer. (she makes $120,000 a year) I am so afraid that I will lose my visitation with my grandchildren. I can not afford a lawyer and they tell me that grandparents are not allow to get a lawyer appointed by the courts. Does anyone out there have any advice for me. I would really appreciate any advice someone might have.

absent Thu 03-Jan-19 05:10:59

As the figures you give are in dollars, it seems likely that you are not living in the UK – probably the USA. The laws in Britain and the USA concerning children and who may or may not be a part of their lives are, I think, rather different. Gransnet is a UK-based networking site so most of us will be unable to help you with legal matters, although I am sure there are many who may offer moral and emotional support. I think there are some other American members and perhaps they will be in a position to advise you. I am sorry to hear that your daughter feels angry towards you, although you say little about how you feel about her and why that situation has arisen. I am sorry too, that you are having difficulty seeing your granddaughters.

Smileless2012 Thu 03-Jan-19 10:55:16

As absent has posted, for those of us in the UK we cannot offer a legal insight to your situation.

What it highlights IMO is the virtual impossibility for GP's to gain access to their GC against their parents wishes, even with permission from the courts.

In the absence of physical contact all I can suggest is that
you send cards for Birthdays and Christmas and perhaps keep in touch via the internet if the ages of your GD's makes this possible.

I wish you wellflowers.

Momof3 Thu 03-Jan-19 19:34:23

Hi it’s difficult because you live in another country and I don’t know any of the background of how you got to the point of going to court or why your daughter is so angry with you. Therefore any advice can only be well meaning.

Is there any point of really going to the back to looking at the relationship with your daughter?

Is the reason she wants to move the fact that the courts gave you visitation.

Is it worth trying to talk about the sort of visitation that you’re expecting and trying to compromise. In my case 4 hours a week taking into account school, homework, activities, playdates maybe the amount has scared her. If you take a step back and maybe think of how the access could work well with their schedule. For example a phone/video call could count as part of the access.
Dependent on the age of the grandchildren could they come and stay with you for a few days during g the school holidays.

The money she has inherited has nothing to do with you though and I’m not sure why you were told about it.

M0nica Fri 04-Jan-19 09:39:33

Doyou have a neighbourhood law centre or similar that could advise you on this? Your position is unfortunate, but not unusual.

Jenova Fri 11-Jan-19 00:18:47

Why did you apply for visitation for your daughter's children? What was the breakdown in communication that occured for you to find this move necessary? 4 hours a week seems like a lot. Are they under 5 years old? You seem to have had the funds to take her to court before what was the change that makes it difficult for you to do so now?
It is hard to say as generally, grandparent rights vary from state to state as well as country. Some places are grandparent friendly and others are not. The fact that you already have visitation will be in your favour however the courts may decide not to hamper the mother's career for your visitation as other arrangements can be made (skype calls). You also have not mentioned the father of the children. Is your daughter a single mom or married? The father's career may also be taken into account as there may be better opportunities for him there as well.

holdingontometeeth Fri 11-Jan-19 00:40:48

Nitecafe appears to have closed.