Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

AIBU to ban my 2yr old grandson?

(306 Posts)
ReadyMeals Wed 13-Feb-19 11:14:14

He comes to my house and immediately points out any bit of crumb or fluff on my floor, to make me feel like an inadequate housekeeper. He fetches the dustpan and brush to clean them, which I should feel thankful for, except to add injury to insult he make more mess and mayhem trying to clean than there was already. Would it be unreasonable to stop him visiting until he can accept my home as it is? He turned two last month and has been doing this since he was about 20 months old.

ReadyMeals Wed 20-Feb-19 16:16:58

Lol I remember also when my daughter was about 3 or 4 she used to play schools with my and my own mother - she was the teacher and we were the pupils. There was a metal chain in her toy box (not sure why - I think they just liked fiddling with it and making it clink) and she used to get it out and brandish it at us - presumably to encourage us to get the right answers. I said to her, don't ever go into teaching! I think I could safely assume it's not a situation she had met at playgroup?

Jalima1108 Wed 20-Feb-19 19:52:37

The answer is women, often mothers who say, 'It's quicker and more efficient to do it myself', and thus the men are never taught how to feed or take care of themselves (the only species in the animal kingdom with this problems). It applies to girls as well.
I was obviously either a very bad or an excellent mother as they can all take care of themselves - and their families!! Well, most of them anyway.

Jalima1108 Wed 20-Feb-19 19:54:43

ReadyMeals Wed 20-Feb-19 10:36:53

laughing until I am coughing!!

Definitely Borstal - in fact we had a neighbour once who was a Borstal boy and he was lovely!! The making of him, apparently.

trisher Wed 20-Feb-19 20:38:22

I used to know someone who worked in a Borstal and he said for some families it was a bit like sending your kid to boarding school-"You'll be getting our Wayne next" as they collected an older child!

ReadyMeals Wed 20-Feb-19 21:24:38

Lol Trisher :D

SueDonim Wed 20-Feb-19 22:20:56

We lived not far from the village of Borstal in Kent, where the first youth prison was set up, hence the name. It was always fun to say you were going to Borstal. grin

Jalima1108 Wed 20-Feb-19 23:03:47

I didn't realise that Borstal was named after a place!

Rowantree Wed 20-Feb-19 23:06:04

My daughter lives there!

MissAdventure Wed 20-Feb-19 23:13:44

You have a daughter in Borstal. smile
That must make for some interesting conversations.

Jalima1108 Wed 20-Feb-19 23:25:18

She could find ReadyMeals's Grandson very useful if he's sent there - he could do all the cleaning!

SueDonim Thu 21-Feb-19 00:52:27

My half-siblings' grandfather was a vicar and a prison padre. My mum was mortified on a busy platform at Paddington station when my sister said in a predictably loud voice 'Is it today that Grandad's going to prison?'.

I reckon that's a good way to get a carriage to yourself! grin

trisher Thu 21-Feb-19 09:56:51

Isn't GN great you learn so much and have a laugh! (I never knew about Borstal either!)

Starlady Fri 22-Feb-19 16:31:33

Ok, I haven't read all of this, ReadyMeals, but I take it that this post isn't serious, and you just enjoy telling us about your gs. He sounds adorable! Have a lot of fun with him!

ReadyMeals Fri 22-Feb-19 17:59:58

He certainly is great fun!

Knickerbockerglory Mon 25-Feb-19 19:21:16

I caught my (then) 6 year old GD spitting over the bannisters onto the living room floor beneath. I was absolutely horrified! Turns out that her Moms new boyfriend spat a lot. Kids learn what they see, so I bought her a fluffy pink duster that she calls ‘Pinky’ and it’s now her job to dust the stair bannisters whenever she comes over. I don’t make her, she actually asks to do it. Much better than spitting imo!

DeeWBW Wed 27-Feb-19 18:25:08

I'd be more concerned about what is going on in his house to think that this is acceptable behaviour. It sounds like this is how he has to live in his own home. Poor chap. Be on his side, not against him.

Cherrytree59 Wed 27-Feb-19 18:55:34

Had coffee and cake in the afternoon sunshinesunshinecupcakecafe

Cherrytree59 Wed 27-Feb-19 18:56:44

Oops wrong thread.

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Feb-19 19:15:44

I hope you didn't leave any crumbs, Cherrytree otherwise you would have had Readymeals's grandson after you.

cupcake wink

Lisagran Wed 27-Feb-19 19:49:40

Jalima grin

DeeWBW - it’s a humorous post - a joke - tongue in cheek............

hmm

lemongrove Wed 27-Feb-19 19:59:28

It was obvious from the start that this was a spoof/ lighthearted thread, (I mean, come on! grin
What is extra funny are all the serious replies.
Thanks ReadyMeals it’s been a blast ( and it’s not over yet.)

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:28:55

It sounds like this is how he has to live in his own home.
Well, yes. The poor child probably has to clean his own home from top to bottom before he's allowed to go round to granny's and start cleaning hers.
They'll be sending him up the chimney next.
sad

Grandma2213 Thu 28-Feb-19 00:00:18

I think this is my favourite thread EVER! Thank you ReadyMeals. It's like watching the best of comedy shows. grin

SueDonim Thu 28-Feb-19 00:18:05

This is the thread that just keeps on giving! grin

ReadyMeals Thu 28-Feb-19 10:25:43

Oh yes DeeWBW I didn't think of that! Could it be that my daughter is actually forcing him to do all her cleaning and punishing him if he misses a spec of dust? That could explain why he's concerned not to miss any in my house. Though I seem to have solved the problem for now. I have put a slide in my garden and all he wants to do now when he arrives is immediately run into the garden smile