Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Philosophy in action?

(5 Posts)
Jane10 Sat 23-Feb-19 16:36:10

'Mistake in the design of cats'! Priceless grin

paddyann Sat 23-Feb-19 15:32:22

"theres a mistake in the design of Cats" says 9 year old GD..."They should be able to talk".I absolutely agree with her .
Hilda My GD sometimes asks me to do things she's perfectly capable to do herself when I told her that she said ",I know Granny but sometimes its just nice for somebody to do stuff for you,if gives you a good feeling" ahhh

HildaW Sat 23-Feb-19 15:27:21

That's where Grandparents come into their own. OH had a long dog walk with DGS the other day......he's going through some stuff (DGS) and there were lots of 'listening noises' from OH that evidently really helped. Sometimes children just want to be listened to, they know there might not be answers but they also know they will have a voice that will not be ignored.

Jane10 Sat 23-Feb-19 15:18:46

That's just the sort of conversation I find myself having with DGS! We've had some great heart to hearts often in the bathroom for some reason. He's very chatty and has a very enquiring mind. I'm sometimes flat out trying to answer his unexpected questions. Lovely!

lizzypopbottle Sat 23-Feb-19 15:10:30

I came across a video of my grandson, three years old, and me in the garden watching a pigeon on the bird table. He complains, sadly, that the pigeon won't say hello to him and I very seriously, dead pan, reassure him that (and I quote) "Well, pigeons don't talk much and they're not particularly sociable as far as humans are concerned." We have some pretty deep conversations... ?