Gransnet forums



(7 Posts)
KAtterby Fri 15-Mar-19 15:28:13

Any advice much appreciated. We have had parental responsibility via a court order for our grandchildren for the last 12 years and they now wish us to adopt them. they have had no contact with parents since 2007 and do not wish to have any contact with them. How easy would this be and how do we go about it?

EllanVannin Fri 15-Mar-19 15:52:49

KAtterby this is a " job " for a solicitor who specialises in child welfare,etc.

KAtterby Fri 15-Mar-19 16:08:26

Thanks Ellan. Just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience, it is all a little daunting.

B9exchange Fri 15-Mar-19 16:11:58

KAtterby what a sad situation for you all, but congratulations for stepping into the breach, you GC obviously adore you, you must be doing a fantastic job! I am sure someone will come along with some experience, as I can't help you out on that front, but I do admire you.

M0nica Fri 15-Mar-19 20:28:19

How wonderful, and what a vote of confidence and love for you

But there are things to be aware of, once adopted, you will no longer get any financial support for them. Can you afford to bring them up on your income alone? Any other help you get through social services will end as well.

As every one says, get legal advice.

Iam64 Fri 15-Mar-19 20:32:53

Seek legal advice. If you are paid a fostering or SGO allowance by the local authority, its possible the Court could order the LA to pay an adoption allowance.
You need to see a solicitor who specialises in family law and whose name is included on the list of lawyers included on the Children Panel.

mumofmadboys Sat 16-Mar-19 08:23:18

Do you have any contact with your son/ daughter? What difference would adoption make? Is there any hope at all of an improved relationship with your son/ daughter in the future? You have clearly done a great job. Well done.