Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandson with huge appetite

(32 Posts)
EllanVannin Sun 05-May-19 10:07:16

As a youngster growing up I also had a huge appetite. Before mum served dinner I'd have scoffed 2 or 3 home-made jam tarts, then a dinner that would have choked a goat, pudding afterwards and usually a chunk of Bakewell tart.
Every meal-time was the same and I remained as thin as the wind.
Throughout my life I've pretty well been the same. It's only now as I've got older that I've gradually slowed down but can still pack away a good meal if I'm really hungry with a rumbling tum.
It's done me no harm whatsoever, in fact I think that having the appetite I had has kept me in good stead over the years to date and I'm still slim !
Mum used to say I had hollow legs.

Providing the child in question is eating good home-cooked food with all the right " essentials/ingredients " I wouldn't be worrying. He's a growing child and will more than likely grow upwards instead of outwards.

M0nica Sun 05-May-19 09:33:18

It occurs to me that it may be that his tummy is just slow in registering that he has eaten enough. We are told it takes 20 minutes for our awareness of fullness to register.

Why not give him a good nourishing meal and, if he asks for more tell him he has to wait 30 minutes, do not remind him, just see if he comes back and then, if he does, give him a healthy snack. - piece of fruit, finger of cheese, slice of wholemeal (ideally granary style) bread and butter (no sweet stuff on it). This will test whether the extra eating is really wanted or habit.

Iam64 Sun 05-May-19 09:02:53

My young grandchildren eat three meals a day and graze in a way our generation didn't have available to us. My mum did breakfast, mid day meal and tea. We has elevenses which could be a biscuit until Tuesday when they'd all be eaten or an apple. About 3.30 we'd be allowed a jam sandwich then tea between 5 and 6. Supper could be toast or later, when cereals were more common, a bowl of cornflakes. That was it. Fruit, a biscuit (not half a packet), a jam sandwich or similar and nothing else.
I followed a similar, if less frugal regime with mine. The current generation of children seem to eat three times a day and graze in between. I'm not having a go at anybody, times change but saying No, wait till lunch time seems reasonable to me.

sodapop Sun 05-May-19 08:44:30

It's difficult isn't it Bazza with the spectre of eating disorders looking over our shoulders.
Has your grandson had medical checks in reference to this particular problem, that should be your first port of call. It's easy to fall into the habit of over eating, perhaps you need to quietly reduce the amounts of food he is given, smaller plates, more vegetables etc. Distraction when he wants to snack or just healthy snacks. The whole family maybe needs to do this with occasional treats.

M0nica Sun 05-May-19 08:41:16

There are various medical problems that can result in an ungovernable appetite. The most extreme is Praader-Willi syndrome, when the child has no built in appetite control and, left alone, will eat non-stop. Such children are also learning disabled so that is clearly not your GS's problem. Non stop eating can also be a sign of diabetes, but some children do just have huge appetites.

I was a non-stop eater as a child. I was variously described as having hollow legs or one gut and it is never full. I was also as skinny as a snake and hyperactive. This changed with puberty and I began putting on weight. At that point I started eating less quite simply because I did not want to get fat. I didn't diet (almost impossible at boarding school), I didn't weigh myself, I just decided to eat less by stopping going for second helpings, finishing everything leftover and eating between meals. Nothing planned or even consciously thought through.

It might be worth discussing the problem with your GP but then you or his parents should not be afraid of discussing it with your GS, the relationship between food and weight and the need for him to make sure he doesn't eat so much he gets fat. Explain the disadvantages being overweight can cause healthwise and socially, not being able to join in with others and being teased.

As a fellow dyspraxic I understand him probably not enjoying football kick arounds, bike riding and any activity that relies on good co-ordination and balance, but I really enjoyed swimming and was quite good at it as is my son who is also dyspraxic. Going out as a family to do enjoyable things like going out to country parks, zoos, stately homes etc, anything that will involve lots of walking for pleasure will also up his activity level.

MamaCaz Sun 05-May-19 08:15:07

I'm sorry, Bazza, I don't have any advice to offer. I just wanted to say that I love your grandson's description of liver. And I know just what he means when he says it tastes cloudy! ?

Bazza Sun 05-May-19 08:04:04

One of my grandsons who is 9 has always had a huge appetite. Up until now he has been a normal weight for his age, but he is beginning to look larger than he should. His mum scratch cooks every day and he has a brilliant healthy diet but.....he is always hungry. When he has finished his dinner he says he is still hungry. He will eat an apple, but would eat three if you let him! He has been diagnosed with mild dyspraxia, and although he is quite active, he doesn’t enjoy running around as much as his younger brother, who in incidently very lean. We’re all very careful not to point out that he is putting weight on, but how do you rein in a huge appetite?

He does have occasional treats so he is not deprived totally! He is a lovely gentle affectionate child, and we all worry that he will become overweight with all the problems that goes with it.

His father is overweight and isn’t the greatest role model.

As the mother of two very picky girls who had to be persuaded to eat I was initially delighted to have a grandchild who would eat anything put in front of him! He will try anything new, there’s not much he doesn’t like, except liver which he said tasted cloudy!

Any suggestions gratefully received.