Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Holiday care

(13 Posts)
Cold Mon 15-Jul-19 20:14:20

The holidays are tough times - are any of the following possible?
- swimming
- baking/cooking
- walks
- trips on a bus or train
- gardening or growing a sunflower or cress etc on the window sill
- libraries often have a summer reading challenge
- look out for local holiday activities that you could drop into
- local walks or nature trails
- garden football or penalty shoot out competition
- art or craft activities
- board and card games
- water pistols or garden squirt guns
- DH used to take kids on the train to the nearest airport and spend the day watching planes

Riverwalk Mon 15-Jul-19 20:13:49

Beforehand remind their parents to send plenty of supplies of craft materials, games, etc., or whatever else they like doing. Maybe you already have these from previous visits.

You can break up the day into sessions of TV, games, Ipads, playground, meal times.

Presumably you have access to some sort of transport i.e. taxi or buses to the nearest big town for days out to a swimming pool, cinema, pizza lunch, etc.

And make it clear from day one that if they squabble they'll be sent home!

BBbevan Mon 15-Jul-19 19:51:44

How about a tent in the garden? Your GCs are just the right age for that. We used to throw a large blanket over the washing line and then hold down the corners with stones. Easy, cheap and good fun

Septimia Mon 15-Jul-19 19:51:02

If you're fit and there are suitable routes, take them for a walk on some days. You could challenge them to collect (or note down) certain things along the way (competitively?) or have them collect items like grasses to make collages. Even though my DGD was only 4 or 5 at the time, I used to plan in a walk and talk about the things we could see.
Letting them do their own thing some of the time is a good idea. Some drawing materials and books to browse might be left around for them......
Lunch as a picnic outside, in the garden or park helps to fill time, too.

Sara65 Mon 15-Jul-19 19:47:24

Pantglas

I was the same with my children, they only had to hint at being bored, and I soon found them something to do!

Pantglas1 Mon 15-Jul-19 19:34:45

I think we organise kids into doing stuff when we should maybe let the sort their own time.

I was expected to amuse myself, and did, and treated my own daughter the same. Whenever I foolishly uttered the words “I’m bored” my mother would suggest doing the washing up, or dusting or some weeding - I soon learned!

Consequently I’ve never been bored and always find something to do - tv, gadgets and tablets have their place but kids should be encouraged to explore and make stuff and find things they’re good at.

We do youngsters a massive disservice catering to their every whim and not developing their initiative and imagination - there’s nothing worse than a bored (boring) adult.

Coolgran65 Mon 15-Jul-19 19:31:01

Humbertbear I agree with your whole post and especially this
""For a start, you institute device time. Say, an hour morning and afternoon which they lose if they fight, are rude, misbehave.""
It works for us.

Ours love Ludo and dominos.
Painting stones, making them into ladybirds and bees, funny faces, flowers.

Gonegirl Mon 15-Jul-19 19:27:50

I don't think you should have them. Not fair on you or them. Let them visit when their mum, or another family member, can be with you to do the driving for trips.

Iam64 Mon 15-Jul-19 19:21:21

iPads can be very useful..... Don't shoot me anyone. I agree with the comments above but as grandparents, I don't see we should/can institute a no iPad day if that's how their parents keep the peace. (wanders off, waiting to have a bomb explode in her sitting room)

travelsafar Mon 15-Jul-19 19:08:21

Teach them how to bake cakes, pizza and anything else they might like. What a bout getting them to help you in the garden, watering plants you could use plastic milk containers instead of watering cans if you only have one.A paddling pool is a good idea too if you have the space. Check out the locallibrary they sometimes put events on in the holidays for children, plus of course there will be lots of different books to look at and maybe borrow.

Humbertbear Mon 15-Jul-19 19:01:35

For a start, you institute device time. Say, an hour morning and afternoon which they lose if they fight, are rude, misbehave.
Get them making their own lunch everyday. My grandchildren of similar ages enjoy painting and drawing and last week wrote an illustrated book of jokes.
Do you have a charity shop? Buy some board games. I bought Beetle online and they love that. How about hopscotch and pavement drawing?
I always have a reading hour after lunch (I did this with my own children). Simple sewing is good as are sock puppets. They would enjoy making Slime . Can you get them doing some housework or gardening? How about simple card games? I’m sure other people with have other ideas. Good luck!

Happychops Mon 15-Jul-19 18:53:14

www.mykidstime.com/things-to-do/25-best-indoor-games-kids-aged-8-12-years/
This looks interesting

watermeadow Mon 15-Jul-19 17:10:56

I’ll be looking after two of my GC for about 10 days over the long holiday. I have then after school regularly but find a whole day very tiring.
They are 8 and 10, don’t get on at all and, given the chance, would spend 8 hours hunched over their I pads.
I don’t drive and we live in a very small town with NOTHING for kids except the playground.
Suggestions, please!