Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Mini crib or standard size crib

(7 Posts)
MovingOn2018 Wed 14-Aug-19 04:19:09

Consult with the parents, and suggest a convertible one. It can be used from newborn, then converts into a toddler bed once the child becomes a toddler. We used ours from newborn up until the age of three. Best purchase ever!

silverlining48 Tue 13-Aug-19 09:22:53

We bought a cot bed when our first grandchild was born. It started as a cot and was easily altered to a bed. They grow out of cots S soon as they are able to climb out which might be as young as 2, but the bed part is in use still 10 years later. If I just bend my knees i can fit it so it would last through early / mid childhood.

gillybob Tue 13-Aug-19 07:58:32

My DD had one of those “next to me” cribs for her house which she used for the first 6 months then moved up to the full size cot.

I have had my 4 DGC for overnights since they were just weeks old (they are 13,11,9 and 1) and the older children obviously have their own beds, but the baby has a full side travel cot that I can put away as I don’t have a lot of room and only 2 bedrooms.

Mind you the mattress that comes with a travel cot is never very good so I bought a proper mattress to sit on top. It’s ideal and the baby sleeps very well in it.

SueH49 Tue 13-Aug-19 03:00:32

My son and dil put their newborns into a full size cot from the beginning. worked well and no need to rreplace until they went into beds.

Tartlet Tue 13-Aug-19 02:53:24

Babies grow out of the mini style cribs very quickly so unless you don't mind replacing it after a few months, I think a full size cot is a better buy.

Kittytella Tue 13-Aug-19 00:59:33

100% consult the parents and go from there. Don't want to spend money on something that they aren't comfortable with, and in turn won't be used!

Across Mon 12-Aug-19 23:43:58

I’m becoming a grandmother next month and I will be babysitting my future grandson M-F when his parents return to work, when he’s 3 months old ? Since he’ll be with me during the workday every week, I’m trying to decide whether to purchase a Mini Crib or a Full Size crib for my house. Any suggestions from any of you grandmothers who babysit full time?