Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

a day at the seaside.

(11 Posts)
moggie57 Mon 19-Aug-19 12:02:39

again i bought up the subject of taking grandchildren 7 and 5 to worthing west sussex for the day.daughter says its too far from croydon.i said its just over an hour,and then i said they would be safe with me and my brother (who lives there). i said you take them to other grandparents two hours away. i did suggest that she came with us. she said we too busy....the children loved it last year when i took them...but this year its a big fat NO...

TwiceAsNice Mon 19-Aug-19 12:52:32

Can you ask your daughter why it was ok last year and not this? Did something happen last year which worried her or has she just moved the goal posts? Are you allowed to take your grandchildren a shorter distance, if so start with that.

I think you need to chat with your daughter about what she will allow or not allow you to do. I can hear your disappointment but you also seem confused about her attitude

Greenfinch Mon 19-Aug-19 12:52:45

That is sad that they are deprived of an enjoyable day especially as they enjoyed it last year. Does your daughter give a reason for not allowing you to take them?

agnurse Mon 19-Aug-19 18:30:15

It sounds as if you really got a bit petty here. The time they spend with the other GPs is none of your business.

You need to respect that she is mum. What she says goes. When she said "no", you needed to respect that - not try and argue your point. She has her reasons. She doesn't owe you an explanation.

MissAdventure Mon 19-Aug-19 19:21:56

I used to argue my point all the time with my daughter.
She was just a person; certainly not the boss of me.

Adults can manage these kinds of conversations, I find.

EthelJ Mon 19-Aug-19 19:29:16

Did you post last year after your trip saying your daughter was angry because you took them to the seaside for the day without telling her? If so I can understand why she is concerned about you taking them. Sorry if I have the wrong person.

Daisymae Mon 19-Aug-19 19:53:04

Well if she says no then that's it really. Her children, her rules. Not a lot you can do about it really.

MissAdventure Mon 19-Aug-19 20:00:23

If you have them at yours why not bring the seaside to them?
Get a sandpit and a paddling pool, make sandwiches and get an icecream for them.

We're apparently due a heatwave in the next week or two.

Luckygirl Mon 19-Aug-19 20:12:07

No is no. I am sure she has her reasons.

maddyone Mon 19-Aug-19 20:16:36

Sounds like she’s exercising her control to me. If so, there’s not much you can do.

NotAGran55 Mon 19-Aug-19 20:32:37

I wouldn’t have been happy with my in-laws taking my children to the coast ( or anywhere else ) that was an hours drive away as they are terrible drivers and I would have feared for their safety.

Could this be a reason in your case ?