Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What to be called

(131 Posts)
blue60 Thu 29-Aug-19 18:59:13

An aquaintance of mine is to be a new grandmother next year.

I congratualted her, and we got talking about what she will be called by her grandchild. 'Grandmum' she said.

I haven't heard of that one before. Anyone else heard of or are called by this name?

Nansnet Mon 02-Sep-19 04:36:30

I'm Nannie, with an 'ie', and very proud of it! My mum & MiL were both Nannie to my children, which changed to Nan, when my children were older. Both of my GMs were Nannie/Nan to me, and so were both of my great GMs. Strangely enough, I don't get paid to be Nannie, and neither did any of mine! They are/were just those lovely ladies we mostly adore, who show us lots of love, kindness and cuddles, amongst many other things. I don't see what difference a name makes, or why some people have to be so critical/snide about what other GMs are called. Just be happy with whatever your GC calls you, and thank your lucky stars that you have them!

absthame Sun 01-Sep-19 20:07:19

At first my first gc called me bob, my short name, but changed it to grandad, my wife has always been Nana, unless they are laying it on, in which case it's nannan. The ggc all call me grandad or dadadbob, my wife is still nana, it was never our choices of names, all of the children slipped into them.

Bekstar Sun 01-Sep-19 17:38:37

My mum was Grandma for her first 14 grandkids, but then my DS changed that to Granny for no aparant reason he also changed Grandad to Granda with an emphasis on the "A". Now a few if them use the same.

LizaJane24 Sun 01-Sep-19 16:28:53

I agree with misadventure- hopefully my grandson (18 months) will decide what to call me. I had a Nan and don't feel we can use that (my daughter called her that too) She still has two grandmas so I can't be that so he has two grannies at the moment. Just started talking and first attempt sounded like Nanny, so will go with that- his attempts at his auntie are yilly- (Lizzie) and Noni ( Naomi) so am looking forward with interest to what he decides.

gordh123 Sat 31-Aug-19 22:47:54

My grandchildren call me Grandma and I love it.
Can`t do nanny as it`s a paid job

maddyone Sat 31-Aug-19 22:42:18

We are called Grandad Dog and Nana Dog by three of our grandchildren. The parents had a dog before they had babies so we became Grandad and Nana Dog (to the dog.) It stuck!

EllanVannin Sat 31-Aug-19 21:50:16

Nan to all the older AGC and Nanna to the GGC.

My D is Nanny to the GC.

My mum was Gran to my family.

glammagran Sat 31-Aug-19 21:35:43

Gran & Gramps

stewaris Sat 31-Aug-19 21:02:45

I was a gran at 37 and it took m a year to decide. My DD eventually pushed it when DGD started speaking and said you're not her mum you're my mum so you need to decide. Decided on Gran as I felt, granny, nana, nan etc were too old for a 37 year old. However, when my grandchildren want to wind me up they call me Granny because they know it bugs me!

Polskasue Sat 31-Aug-19 21:01:47

I wanted my name to reflect me. Yes, I was to be a "nanny" but I also wanted to be associated with "fun." I suggested "Fanny."
Oddly, no-one agreed!!!

Bridgeit Sat 31-Aug-19 20:48:25

How different we are, LuckyFour , I think Grandma, makes a Gran sound older than Granny,
Mine seem to have drifted towards calling me Nan,(& Nanny when exasperated with me ?)

chezza1 Sat 31-Aug-19 20:46:32

Nanny is a goat or someone who gets paid for looking after the children. Neither apply to me so I am grandma to the GC and supergran to the great GC

Pome Sat 31-Aug-19 20:15:28

Congratulations to your friend!
I'm known as Buba to my GC & my husband is Grum. As he's their stepgrandfather the family thought it best to stay away from Grandad, grandpa etc. My son thought it would be funny for the GC to call him Grim as he originally hails from the North East. However, as others have said here, GC had other ideas & Grum he's remained. Do wonder what the teacher's think tho!

GabriellaG54 Sat 31-Aug-19 19:44:21

I am nanny G to my GCs and same with my GGC but most of the older ones (GC) just call me nan when their other nans aren't with us.

GabriellaG54 Sat 31-Aug-19 19:38:53

Grandmum is surely just a brief version of grandmother.
We shorten mother to ma, mamma, mummy or mum and grandmother to grandma, gran, granny, nan or nanny so why the fuss about grandmum?

Phoebes Sat 31-Aug-19 19:23:41

My grandmother was Nana to all her grandchildren, so my Mum was Nana to our daughter. I’m Nana to my Danish step-grandchildren and also to my new baby grandson, (who won’t be able to talk for a while!) It will be interesting to see if he wants to call me something else! He doesn’t have another Grandmother.

NannyB2604 Sat 31-Aug-19 19:06:26

I like Grandmum, but as you can see I'm NannyB (my first name's Barbara. DH was going to be GrandpaKev, but when our half Korean granddaughter began to talk, she tried to say "Halapeoji", the Korean for Grandfather, but it came out as "Edgy", which is what he remains :-D

Horton1828 Sat 31-Aug-19 19:00:26

I’m Nanny H to GC and Granny H to GGC.... I love it.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 31-Aug-19 17:51:18

Well, as granddad is quite usual, why not grandmum?

I would personally rather be grandma, but there is no discussing taste, is there?

LuckyFour Sat 31-Aug-19 17:31:44

I'm Grandma, DH is Grandad. I'm surprised nobody else seems to have said this.

I wouldn''t want to be Granny. Sounds ancient, you might as well stick the word 'old' in front of it.

hulahoop Sat 31-Aug-19 17:11:26

Grandma for me each to their own .

Lucca Sat 31-Aug-19 17:10:54

I know someone who said oh dear so often that she became ohdeargranny and then just oh dear

nettyandmasey Sat 31-Aug-19 17:03:38

I called my nanny nanny and that’s what mine call me. That’s what I wanted. In laws are Grandma and Nana their choice

Summerstorm Sat 31-Aug-19 16:57:23

Personally I like and am called grandma, however my husband called his nanny and when our children were born she wanted to be called great nanny. My kids changed it themselves to gran which she was quite happy with. One of my grandsons refused to call my dil dad anything and having gone through every imaginable variation she eventually tried pops however he said “yes Potts” and wouldn’t change it therefore Potts it is and 10 years later both him and his younger sister still call him Potts. I think it’s lovely, very personal and he’s quite happy with it.

agnurse Sat 31-Aug-19 16:55:10

Here are a few I've heard:

Bebop (for a grandfather; his wife is Granny)
Munner (for a grandmother; her husband was Poppy)
Mimi
Mame (pronounced Mah-MAY; I heard this one in a family of French Canadian descent)
Glamma
Gamma
Nan
Opa (German for grandfather and what we called my late great-grandfather; his wife was Oma)
Baba (Ukrainian for grandmother)

If my DSD has children, I could well become a young grandmother, as I'm only 20 years older than she is. I think when the time comes I'd like to be called Nana.