Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Grandparents Day

(19 Posts)
Maggiemaybe Sat 05-Oct-19 16:56:48

Maybe 2020 will be my year?

Maggiemaybe Sat 05-Oct-19 16:52:55

It is a national day, ginny, as well. It's this Sunday.
www.gransnet.com/grandparenting/what-is-grandparents-day

I don't think it's for me, literally. Last year DH and I went along to a school celebration of it. As part of the event the children all presented handmade cards to their grandparents. The only thing was, the one ours produced was for Grandma and Grandpa (we are Nanna and Grandad). grin

As for this year... I picked up two of the grandsons at school on Tuesday and the little one rushed out so excited. He announced that he had something really good in his bag to show me. Then he looked at me, faltered, and said, well, it's a little bit good.

It was a Best Grandparent certificate, made out to DH. grin

Stansgran Tue 01-Oct-19 13:11:08

I think today is Elderly Persons Day. I'm celebrating . But I try to celebrate something every day.

ginny Tue 01-Oct-19 11:15:14

I think the OP might be talking about a school Grandparents day. This is when the school invites Grandparents to share in the school day with them GC. If you live near enough it is a lovely thing to do. I enjoyed several with DGS1 and hope DGS school will do it too when he is old enough.

KatyK Tue 01-Oct-19 09:38:44

Never heard of it.

Alima Tue 01-Oct-19 09:10:05

Load of rubbish, all for commercial gain. There’s seemingly a day for everything now. National sausage day anyone?

annsixty Tue 01-Oct-19 09:07:41

I didn’t even know there was such a day.
Totally against.
I hardly knew my GP’S so try to be the best gran I can but apart from one I am not close to my GC.
I love them, they are fond of me but now they are older it goes no further than that.

NfkDumpling Tue 01-Oct-19 09:00:03

Against. Its just another commercial selling day. And completely unfair on those who, for whatever reason, don't have children or grandchildren.

It'll be Aunties / Uncles Day next. And I'm an only child so will feel completely left out!

Sara65 Tue 01-Oct-19 08:50:31

Well I think I may be talking at cross purposes, the only grandparents day I know about is a thing my grandchildren’s school do every year, it’s the last one for us on Friday, a long drive, unbelievable parking problems, to watch a glorified assembly, okay, it’s sweet, but not worth both of us taking a day off work and doing a 250 mile round trip for.

bikergran Tue 01-Oct-19 08:49:03

Dont think its necessary , my daughter struggles enough without having to think "ohh its grandparent day next week" I don't get paid until the week after! I'm sure we as grandparent/s received unexpected little treats throughout the year, no need for a "special" date.

nightswimmer Tue 01-Oct-19 08:28:54

A new one on me.

Oopsminty Tue 01-Oct-19 08:10:20

No. Never done the Grandparent's Day. No desire to do it either.

SpanielNanny Tue 01-Oct-19 08:03:33

I’m not sure I really see the point of it, to be honest. As parents we already get mother’s/father’s day, do we really need another commercial day?

I do wonder where it stops. GS has two uncles. He absolutely adores them. Are we going to start having a special day for aunts/uncles too?

It also seems like a lot of expense/effort to expect parents of young children to go to. GS has four sets of grandparents & 2 sets of great grandparents. Even if ds & dil encouraged him to make cards, that would still be a lot of time a busy family needs to find.

Nannyxthree Mon 30-Sep-19 18:53:25

I get 'Happy Mother's Day to Nanny' cards on Mothering Sunday so I don't see the need for a second lot. My own mother disagreed though!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 30-Sep-19 18:47:24

It’s Grandparents day every time we see our GC, just another money maker for card and “tat” sellers!!

Calendargirl Mon 30-Sep-19 18:25:49

Is this the Grandparent equivalent of Mother’s Day? If so, not at all necessary IMHO.

Sara65 Mon 30-Sep-19 18:23:23

We do 250 mile round trip for it every year, thank goodness child three is now in year six!

The other children’s school don’t participate, Phew!

Septimia Mon 30-Sep-19 18:21:26

It's nice to be thought of, but it's not necessary to have a special day for it!

Magrithea Mon 30-Sep-19 18:19:33

As GN has highlighted this import, are you for or against?