Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Ideas on young grand children meeting new "step"gram pa

(5 Posts)
Hope23 Sun 01-Mar-20 19:40:53

I left my husband abruptly after 34 years about a year ago. I have divorced and remarried. My adult children and their spouses thought my ex and I had the "perfect marriage". We didn't, but it did appear that way. I used to take care of my now 4 year old grandson. and when I left my husband, I had to stop taking care of him, too.
I have been back for about 9 months and finally my son and daughter-in-law are accepting my husband into the family. They don't know what steps to take to introduce him to my grandson. Any ideas?

Hetty58 Sun 01-Mar-20 19:45:53

Just introduce him without making a fuss. Kids are usually fine with change and new people. It'd adults who seem to make a problem/drama out of it.

Loulelady Sun 01-Mar-20 19:55:23

Yes, no fuss, just include him on an outing or something and introduce him as “John” or whatever his name is.
The important thing is not to force things, no “Aren’t you going to give John a kiss too?!”, or insisting he gets a grandpa name.
My grandma’s boyfriend was “Uncle Firstname” same situation for my childhood best friend. That was nearly 50 years ago and I think just the first name would probably be more normal now.
Also your grandchildren would probably prefer to still get some time with just you and not have you always come as a package.
Children are very adaptable, they probably won’t bat an eyelid.

Loulelady Sun 01-Mar-20 19:59:56

Sorry, to be clear, my grandma wasn’t married to my “Uncle Steve” but my best friend’s granny was married to “Uncle Ted”. I think insisting that step parents or grandparents are called “mummy/daddy/nanny” - can be a source of tension. If it happens naturally and the parents don’t mind then fine, but otherwise steer clear.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 01-Mar-20 22:25:56

This thread is a duplicate of one the OP posted a weeks or so ago

I recall that most Grans suggested you just call him by his name as your Grandson he is still in touch with your ex husband.