Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Helping boys be feminists

(6 Posts)
LivingNan Sat 07-Mar-20 12:44:28

Treating children as people not gender stereotypes could change society for the better. What do you think www.nanhood.com/are-my-boys-to-be-feminists/

NanaandGrampy Sat 07-Mar-20 14:44:57

I think I didn’t need an article to tell me that boys and girls need similar skills to fit them for life to be honest.

It’s been the way my family raised my brother and sisters and how I raised my family and how they raise theirs.

All boys can cook, sew, wash and iron etc. All girls can do basic repairs , know their way around car basics etc .

Both sexes learnt about budgeting , self defence and the like.

My Mum always used to say particularly about boys that you are fitting them to be someone’s partner so do them a favour and teach them to be a good one.

I don’t know whether they could be called feminists- just good human beings .

Hithere Sat 07-Mar-20 15:18:48

We are all people.

Let's stop trying to fit people into boxes.

Long hair can be for girls or boys
Clothes stores should have sections by age, not genders.

LivingNan Sat 07-Mar-20 16:43:02

'Good human beings' brilliant...hits the nail on the head

CherryCezzy Sat 07-Mar-20 19:59:21

I read the article. It didn't add anything to what has been said before or to what I have always been brought up to be. We are all born human and as long as we appreciate that fact and do not try to undermine any other human being by pigeonholes we have the same capacity to remain human for the rest of our days.

GagaJo Sat 07-Mar-20 20:03:41

My grandson is growing up with mainly his mum, then me. Occasionally he sees my bloke. All three of us are domestic around him. Grandson isn't 2 yet and likes loading the washing machine, pushing the hoover and playing in his toy kitchen. Long may it last!