Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Struggling with Son living abroad

(104 Posts)
Jojo1515 Sat 07-Mar-20 21:25:33

I'd appreciate advice on going forward please?
We moved abroad when our son was a baby. We didn't get on with our families and for our marriage to survive, we had to leave. A job opportunity came up and the move was the best thing we did. It gave our children a relaxed upbringing. A great education and most importantly, two happy parents. Roll on to the end of our sons education and having met a girl online he moved back to the place of his birth. He is now with a new partner and they have a daughter of their own. He has a good job and is very close to his new partners family. He visits us maybe once a year and we visit him. His new partner is lovely and they are a lovely couple together. But we know he is settled where he is and will not be returning home. From being close to his siblings growing up, its like they are now strangers. Our extended family are smug that they have him back! We are struggling knowing we don't see him much or will be a big part of our Grandchilds life. We skype but it's not the same.
Please help.

Callistemon21 Sat 31-Dec-22 22:33:43

MawtheMerrier

It’s never easy but with modern transport and a bit of luck you could hop on a plane or train, or the car- and be back with DCs and GCs in no time . Somebody I know keeps a small property in this country for visits or (even) an emergency.

Good idea.

DH's cousin and her DH have a property in France but a flat in the UK so that they can stay in their own place when they visit family here. They drive to and fro.
It's not like the journey to far flung places, however.

MawtheMerrier Sat 31-Dec-22 17:49:59

It’s never easy but with modern transport and a bit of luck you could hop on a plane or train, or the car- and be back with DCs and GCs in no time . Somebody I know keeps a small property in this country for visits or (even) an emergency.

Callistemon21 Sat 31-Dec-22 13:40:03

silverlining48

Rainbow suggest you start a new thread as this one is already 2 years old.

I think it might be a good idea too, because Rainbow's worries are not just those of a parent/grandparent missing their family who are happily settled overseas.

Rainbow are you in constant contact?

HeavenLeigh Sat 31-Dec-22 12:15:18

Yes he’s done the same as you did, and adults will do what they feel is best for them won’t they, obv you miss him very much but you do see him a couple of times a year and there are ways of keeping in contact, I would be focusing on that he’s happy that’s the main thing to me

silverlining48 Sat 31-Dec-22 12:01:52

Thanks Madgran smile

Madgran77 Sat 31-Dec-22 11:11:20

silverlining48

I was trying to be helpful, not rude.
Wishing you well Rainbow. flowers

You were being helpful. I also advise tge same quite often to new posters looking for advice on old threads😏

silverlining48 Sat 31-Dec-22 10:24:28

I was trying to be helpful, not rude.
Wishing you well Rainbow. flowers

Fleurpepper Sat 31-Dec-22 10:02:00

Fair enough, I see.

Madgran77 Sat 31-Dec-22 10:01:08

Fleurpepper

Why does it matter? The issues are the same- answers and solutions too, 2 years ago or not.

Rainbow, it is very hard, especially if 'abroad' is on the other side of the world and not easily accessible.

Sometimes it matters because people only read the OP and reply to tgat not seeing a new poster asking for help now with different scenario

LRavenscroft Sat 31-Dec-22 07:36:37

Often it is good to look at how people with no children lead their lives in older age. Some have a good network of similar friends/hobbies/purpose/activities. They fill their lives with meaningful activities. Not everyone is lucky enough to have children/siblings/remain in the same place all their lives/have the means to travel. We need to make the best of what we have where we have it.

Withoutroots Sat 31-Dec-22 04:40:47

Fleurpepper, I know sometimes it can seem quite rude to point out that a user is posting on a “dead” thread, but the suggestion to make a new post is the only way others will see it. For whatever reason that I don’t understand, every time someone comments on an old thread, nearly every subsequent comment addresses only the very first post on the thread and ignores the newest post that bumped the old thread to the top of the list. As you can see, those who commented after you did not address Rainbow15 at all, but did so to the likely long gone original poster. Rainbow15 would get the support they’re looking for if they made their own post. Or, perhaps, if others paid more attention., but here we are..wine

HomeAgain123 Fri 30-Dec-22 13:30:59

Interesting thread I’m currently at my sons who lives overseas and it’s been awful they have a maid for 5 month baby who really has taken my place I don’t get a chance , my dil works full time so I get she wants to spend time with baby but I am really twiddling my thumbs feeling so uncomfortable I’m bringing my flight forward …. My DIL is nice but controls everything and my son appears to be a wet blanket ( they hv both been home for holidays ) Xmas day was all about her parents at home in there own ( they’ve just been here for a month) I think sometimes it’s best to keep quiet and move on …… sad but I’m going to wait to be asked how I am shame as missed our usual family Xmas ….. roll in next year 🤣🤣

Philippa60 Thu 29-Dec-22 15:37:03

Jojo, just seen this post, I have posted before about my son telling us recently that he and his Australian wife are moving to Australia permanently.
I "lost it" at the time, but have come to terms with it, so I don't really have anything to add beyond the great advice but just to share that I truly understand your pain.
I know we will keep in touch on our family watsapp group and frequent video chats (they have a baby) but it'll never be the same.
I count my blessings that we have our daughter close by with her 4 kids, and we have a great relationship with them all.
We will travel to Australia once a year and I hope they will come here once a year, so that is not too bad.
I wish you all the best, Jojo, at the end of the day we have no choice in these situations except to accept it and make the very best we can of it!

Fleurpepper Thu 29-Dec-22 13:27:46

Why does it matter? The issues are the same- answers and solutions too, 2 years ago or not.

Rainbow, it is very hard, especially if 'abroad' is on the other side of the world and not easily accessible.

silverlining48 Thu 29-Dec-22 13:20:49

Rainbow suggest you start a new thread as this one is already 2 years old.

Rainbow15 Thu 29-Dec-22 11:35:48

I am looking for advice on how to cope with my daughter and grandson now living in America. They moved a year ago for my daughter to marry an American she met online. He is not a very nice person, and my daughter and grandson are unhappy. They want to stay and try to make it work, but they are both a shadow or their former selves, and I am desperately worried and it is having a huge effect on my health. Any advice would be much appreciated.

tinaf1 Mon 13-Dec-21 17:16:08

GreenGran78

There are a few people on here who are always ready with the ‘snap out of it.......others are worse off.......you have been just as bad’ sort of comments. I can’t understand why they can’t just butt out, if they have nothing helpful to say. Some people just make themselves feel better by making others feel worse, I think.
99% of Gransnetters, though, empathise with other people’s situations, and try to be helpful/sympathetic/cheering to the person who has posted their problems. The other 1% don’t even merit a reply, especially a polite one.
Best wishes for the future, Jojo. I hope that you find contentment, in time.

Totally agree with your post GreenGran78 why do some posters feel the need to be so snippy when Jojo15 is obviously struggling and asking for help. Talk about kick someone when they’re down
Jojo be proud you have raised a happy healthy independent son but try not to beat yourself up too hard when you feel sad about him being so far away.

MamguLiz Mon 13-Dec-21 16:48:27

Only just seen this. Jojo1515. Our youngest of two sons died in 1993 and our older son has been living overseas for 12 years. He is happily married, has two young sons and a great life. He is a wonderful son, very loving and worries about my husband and I. We usually see each other 3 times a year, we are with him and his family at the moment - the first time in 2 years. It is hard and we miss our son and dil and grandchildren terribly so I absolutely understand your feelings. Just because we allow our children to have wings and fly does not mean we don’t miss them or long to be together.

Serendipity22 Thu 30-Jul-20 00:18:14

Hi jojo

I too have a son who lives in another country, far, far away. He is married to an absolutely wonderful girl and they have a beautiful family....

I visit each year and we chat often and send photos/messages which is brillaint ( here comes the but ) BUT...... despite the fact he has a fabulous life and the GC have a safe and wonderful childhood, I miss him like crazy, which is only natural, hes my 'little boy's when all is said and done and yes I am so happy that he is making something of his life, ofcourse I am........ but I am his mum.... smile

Sadnana1 Sun 31-May-20 12:06:04

Hi
There seem to be 3 threads in this theme. Could we perhaps choose one and all use it so we can benefit from.all.this wonderful support and advice? I have posted on "long distance grandparenting" and look forward to hearing more from this welcome community. It is the case that it's more common now for adult children to.live abroad and raise their families thereby I am surprised at the number who still.live in the community they grew up.in. I get annoyed at films and TV shows that assume every extended family live a stones throw from each.ither and are constantly popping in gir a cuppa and a chat or when grandparents complain that they.get tired babysitting once a week. Oh for that opportunity! I must respectfully disagree that it foesnt get easier with time.As grand children grow up.and develop.yheir own lives it be ones harder to maintain the bond. Its lost time one will never get back.

SheilsM Tue 10-Mar-20 10:27:52

Think you’ve been quite harsh Aepgirl.

bridie54 Mon 09-Mar-20 21:26:57

Oh Jojo, I feel your pain. My son and only 2 GC are on the other side of the world where my DIL is from. I understand how you feel about the other grandparents 'having' them now. It's daft I know. I try and be grateful that I had the joys of my GC as babies for 5 and 1 years before they left, but I still get hit by emotions sometimes and could cry. Cos of circumstances I only get a Skype call once every 9 weeks from my son with the GC there too. I see loads of videos and fotos tho and can spend ages going through them on my phone. Hoping to get out to visit next year even tho it won't be easy being there - DIL has never been easy and totally ignores me now. I have found this very sad as I so looked forward (in the beginning) to having a great relationship with her, as I had had with my own lovely MIL. but.... As someone else posted as a reply, look on the positives, my lovely daughter still lives only 2hours away.

eileen67 Mon 09-Mar-20 11:49:00

my son went to USA 4 years ago , I miss him dreadfully , I know he,s happy ,settled, though it does not ease the pain in my heart, and life without him nearby

Callistemon Mon 09-Mar-20 09:33:58

We do understand how hard it is when family live far away and we miss them.

But it is disgraceful to compare it to bereavement.

There, I've said it.
Chastise me all you wish but it is true.

Lucca Mon 09-Mar-20 09:18:13

Where are these nasty comments ?