Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Granddaughter missing pre school

(24 Posts)
colournanny Mon 11-May-20 17:48:49

Hi everyone, I have a 3 year old granddaughter who started preschool in sept 2019. She was born very early but is doing well. It was decided to defer her going to schools l this September because of the problems she’s got due to prematurity. The extra year at pre school will help with these issues
I am an over anxious nan but I’m very worried that she will fall behind with the help that she so benefited from her teachers at pre school. It’s things like peer association, using equipment correctly
Can someone please reassure me that missing out on these last few months of pre school won’t matter & she will pick up reasonably well
Thankyou

agnurse Mon 11-May-20 18:08:51

Good grief, around here, most people don't send their children to school of ANY kind until they're at least 4! Keep in mind that she has her parents who can help her at home. She's unlikely to miss much not attending preschool for a few months.

Hithere Mon 11-May-20 18:15:45

I bet her parents made this decision with the best interests at heart.

There is no need for you to worry in something you cannot do anything about or have decision power over.

phoenix Mon 11-May-20 18:21:26

What they ^^said.

MamaCaz Mon 11-May-20 18:23:00

Agnurse Where are you?
Officially, almost all pre-schoolers here are three when the academic year starts in September, the only exceptions being those who are four right at the very beginning of that term.

That said, I agree that she is unlikely to miss much, and that there is no need to worry.

agnurse Mon 11-May-20 18:41:14

I'm in Canada. We do have preschool here but it is not mandatory. Kindergarten (Reception year equivalent) starts at 5.

LullyDully Mon 11-May-20 19:00:12

In Norway they start school at 7. I believe their learning to read is not as complicated as English.

Your GD will be fine. Her parents should be encouraging her by talking about everything they do together, making her as independent as possible, singing with her and reading to her. She will also enjoy a bit of drawing, cutting, colouring and sticking

They can share TV with her and talk about what they are looking at.

Lots of little ones round here are learning to ride a two wheeler bike.

It is harder to encourage her social skills but they can do that too. When she goes for a walk she can talk to all the old grannies along the way....I am always keen to chat to a little one, even at a distance. She will be fine.

Callistemon Mon 11-May-20 19:01:15

She'll be fine. She will have the attention of her parent(s) who can spend time doing activities with her.
Children never used to go to nurseries or pre-schools years ago and started school at 5.
I don't think we missed out on anything.

All children are missing school and missing their friends too at this time.

LullyDully Mon 11-May-20 19:01:38

PS and talk about when she starts big school and how she will enjoy it back with her friends.

MamaCaz Mon 11-May-20 19:17:10

Two of my three grandchildren, (nearly 2 and nearly 9) have positively thrived since lockdown. They are like different children, and in a really good way. The other is just taking it in her stride, neither better nor worse for it.
What I'm trying to say is that more time at home can be a positive rather than a negative for some children.

Grammaretto Mon 11-May-20 20:17:36

As Callistemon said. None of the children are at school so they'll all be in the same boat.

Your DGC is very small to be starting school even preschool. Is that the way things are going now?

I kept one of mine "back" a year as she was only 4 and a half and tiny. She was at a good nursery school. The teachers were grateful to have some DC who were really ready for school.

Here in Scotland there is only one intake a year at school in August. The child must have their 5th birthday after the end of February that year. Thus there are DC aged between 4.5 and 5.5 in the same year. Class sizes are supposed to be under 25.

In NZ where my DGS is, school begins on your 5th birthday - really!.

I cannot understand all the hurry for formal schooling. In Germany and Scandinavia they start later at 6 or 7.
Please let the children play!

I hope your little one enjoys school. That is the most important thing to my mind. If they are happy they thrive.

V3ra Mon 11-May-20 20:35:09

If you want some ideas about what your granddaughter could be doing or learning at her age, have a look at this website:

foundationyears.org.uk/what-to-expect-when/

It's the parent-friendly version of the Early Years Foundation Stage which all early years settings follow.

V3ra Mon 11-May-20 20:38:46

You can order a printed copy for £3.49.

grannyrebel7 Mon 11-May-20 20:56:29

My little GD is four and is really missing her nursery. She took a long time to settle in, but had made a few friends and was really enjoying it and then lockdown happened. She can't understand why she can't go anymore and my daughter says that in the afternoons she gets miserable. Really hope the kids go back on 1st June.

notanan2 Mon 11-May-20 21:04:49

It’s things like peer association

well I don't even know what that is and Ive survived to adulthood so I couldnt get worked up about preschool buzzwords (thought they were nonsense when mine were little too)

Grammaretto Mon 11-May-20 21:34:59

our DGC moved house at the start of lockdown to another part of the country where they know no-one, have no neighbours and the school which they would have joined this term is closed, of course.

However, it is Summer. They are in the countryside and have their DM around at their mercy There are lambs in the fields, hens to feed, eggs to collect and endless things to do.

I can't decide whether or not to pity them. I am a bit sorry for DD and I am missing them all.

notanan2 Mon 11-May-20 21:44:04

How would you risk assess if one of your employees developed an allergy to one of your componants grandad?

First you would see if you can either remove the allergen from the employee (can their task be done without having contact with it) or the employee from the allergen (another site where you dont use same componants)

can you substitue the componant

can you redeploy the employee

can another employee cover that part of the task

If you have assessed that there is no way they can do their job without contact you manage it. Barriers, store it separately and clearly mark it, PPE for employee, appropriate first aid, signage to alert other staff that there is an allergen issue with that component in the area so they must wear gloves too and wash hands before moving along to another work area.

You try to remove contact FIRST. If you cant you PROTECT them when they have to have contact

notanan2 Mon 11-May-20 21:44:53

sorry wrong thread blush

Hetty58 Mon 11-May-20 21:45:36

As a retired teacher, I'd say she'll be fine so don't worry about it. All children are different. One of my four didn't go to playgroup, nursery or reception as I felt she wasn't ready. She just started school at five with no problems.

Calendargirl Mon 11-May-20 22:07:32

notanan2

I don’t really know what ‘peer association’ is either, but I imagine it means making friends perhaps?

Callistemon Mon 11-May-20 22:14:09

peer association generally means meeting and mixing with others of your own age group.
It can mean people with similar interests but with children it means their peer group, Calendargirl ie nursery school children in this case.

I wonder what the equipment is that your little one was using, colournanny.
Do you mean play equipment? Playgrounds are shut anyway, so does she have a garden to play in, a little slide, a ball to learn to kick etc?

colournanny Wed 13-May-20 10:05:55

Thankyou got all your replies.
I feel less anxious now I was worried that everything she had to have help with would be undone
As you say she should pick it up again once back She will be at pre school for an extra year so hopefully she will benefit from that
Take care everybody

Harris27 Wed 13-May-20 10:12:45

I work in pre school room. We are now preparing to go back I miss the children and staff so much. We are implement smaller numbers of children to each member of staff. We will ensure hand washing and outdoor schooling as much as possible until,this is over. They will need resettling and we understand this. Their needs will be at the uttmost of our efforts keeping children at home is ok but they need the stimulation of others and we can do this on their return.

JuliaM Wed 13-May-20 11:31:44

My daughter is the manager of a local Pre-school under 5's group, and has been instructed by the local authority and Ofsted to prepare to re-open the place ready for children to return after the Whitsun holiday break. However, it remains to be seen just how many children actually return, as its not compulsory for children of this age to attend School, and high proportion of parents are still either self isolating, have a child with a condition which makes them vunerable, or simply do not want to take the risks involved, given that full PPE will not be worn by staff, or not even a facemask, which would frighten many of the children.
Two of the staff team have already handed in their notice not to return to work on the grounds of family reasons, DD is quite worried about returning herself due to DGD being certified as being a member of the Vunerable group, and living in the same household. There is no way that the 2.0m distancing rule can be observed in this kind of setting where children need 'hands on' care for tasks like Nappy changing, hand washing, and general sorting out of the usual squabbles and upsets that young children need. Staff will obviously try their best to keep everyone safe and happy, but its yet to be seen how many children within this age group actually return, nd how many others will choose to stay home until after the summer break and return in September.