Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

What should Great Grandparents be called?

(90 Posts)
millie58 Wed 13-May-20 07:11:21

When my children were young, my husband's parents referred to my husband's Nan as Great Nan when in discussion with my children and they were known as Nan & Grandad.
Now that I am a Grandparent myself, they refer to themselves as Nan & Grandad as well. I have a bad relationship with them and am unsure whether this is just clouding my thought on this matter or whether this is quite normal? Please help!

AJKW Wed 13-May-20 15:41:11

Im called Granny, my mum is called Grandma, my son in laws mum is called Nana.

Laurensnan Wed 13-May-20 15:32:14

We are nanny and granddad to our grandchildren. My mum and dad are their nana and grandpa. When my children were young they had nanny and granddad and then there was great-nan and great-granddad.

Madammim1 Wed 13-May-20 15:11:36

My grandkids call me little nanny if we are with my parents if not it's just nanny my partner is big willbob and my ex husband is grandad ,they call my parents big nanny and grandad grrr .

Bibbity Wed 13-May-20 14:58:29

What’s the relationship like between your child (the parents) and the Great Grandparents of the baby?

TrendyNannie6 Wed 13-May-20 14:37:15

You should be called what ever you want to be known as Millie58 what would you like to be called

ann678tifney Wed 13-May-20 14:34:22

I am gran to my older Grandchildren. My daughter fosters and the foster children have always called me Grannie Annie, and this has continued with the great grandchildren and youngest grandchild. My husband is just Grandad Johnnie to everyone lol

Joesoap Wed 13-May-20 14:17:27

My friends Great grandchildren call her G Gran
In the country where we live its simple the paternal grandmother is simply Farmor ie, Fathers Mother
On the maternal side it is Mormor ie. Mothers Mother nothing complicated

Daisyboots Wed 13-May-20 13:57:10

My grandchildren called my mother Nana Elizabeth and me just Nana. Although now grown up most if not all call me Nan. Now I have 8 greatgrandchildren I am Nana Daisy to them. Just decide what you want to be called and don't worry about anyone else.

glammanana Wed 13-May-20 13:56:49

I'm nana to my DGCs and to my GGCs my lovely husband was always called Pops by my ACs and grandchildren alike.

Nanna58 Wed 13-May-20 13:51:40

My 4yr old grandson has always referred to my mum as Great Big Nanny, pronounced properly now, but used to be “ Greybinanny” When we were all together ( oh, those wonderful days! ) he would differentiate by calling me ‘ Tiny Nanny’ although I was just Nanny if on my own. As I’m 5’9” and hovering aroun 12 stone God I loved him for that!!!

Davida1968 Wed 13-May-20 13:04:21

I am known as Grandma (first name) and my mum is also Grandma (first name). That keeps it simple for everyone.

Tickledpink Wed 13-May-20 12:54:02

My grandson knows my parents as Grandma and Grandpa

Foxyferret Wed 13-May-20 12:52:21

I am Nanny and my mother is Nanny Dot or Nanny by the sea. (She lives in Hemsby).

RomyP Wed 13-May-20 12:48:54

We're Nana and Papa, grandson's other grandparents are Granny and Granddad, husband's dad is called Granda, the name he was called by our children, he's been called it for best part of 40 years so it seems normal to continue it. I think we can be too formal cos of how it was in the old days, provided everyone has different name, one that we as individuals like, so children don't get confused I think that's all that matters.

GrammaH Wed 13-May-20 12:38:14

We're Gramma & Graffa, my DDILs parents are grandma & granddad . My dad is Grandpa & DDIL's gran is Grandma N** as distinct from Grandma B****, my own dear mum who sadly died last year. All seems clear to our grandsons!

PamelaJ1 Wed 13-May-20 12:06:46

We are all just granny. I’m grannyP my mum is grannyB., my GGM was granny T.

icanhandthemback Wed 13-May-20 12:00:39

Our grandchildren all call their Great Grandparents by their title followed by their name to differentiate if there is more than one Gran in the room. So I am Nanny X and my mother is Nanny Y. It works for us.

Edithb Wed 13-May-20 11:56:13

My father-in-law asked to be called Gramps when he became a great grandfather.

Oopsminty Wed 13-May-20 11:47:34

My eldest called my Grandparents Nonna and Pompa

Absolutely no idea how we got to these names

Jaylm Wed 13-May-20 11:44:08

With second marriages and therefore multiple grandparents let alone great grandparent, I think using title plus first name is a good solution. I'm know as Grandma Jane and my mum was Grandma Helen to all generations of her grandchildren.

Daddima Wed 13-May-20 11:37:27

Both our children’s grans were called Gran, until one day I said we were going to Gran’s, and son asked if it was ‘ the Annie Gran or the Cathy Gran’, so they were known as that from then on! I’m also ‘Name ‘ Gran, so maybe a great gran’s title would follow that formula.
Our Welsh grandchildren also have Nans and Bampi, and their great gran was Nana ‘village name’.

Booklover1948 Wed 13-May-20 11:27:07

My Grandchildren call my mum Grandma Grandma their idea Mum loves it she says that she is so good they named her twice as in the song New York New York.

Craftycat Wed 13-May-20 11:24:37

I think if you are lucky enough to be a great grandparent you should be able to choose your name.
If I ever get that far I'm sure I will be Granny GaGa.

jaylucy Wed 13-May-20 11:24:04

My dad was Peepa to his GGD - mainly because she couldn't say Pappy - that her mother called him!
I think that over time , your GGC will call you what they want to call you - I had one aunt that was called "Cuckoo" by one set of GGC that was what she used to call out to them whenever she saw them and another was called Blessim - one of her favourite sayings!
Oh, and I have a friend that insists his GC call him by his christian name as he reckons that he's too young to be Grandad at 60!

trisher Wed 13-May-20 11:19:23

My mum was always Nanna to her GCs and GGCs. It saved lots of bother. I became Granny so there was no conflict. It was still a problem at Christmas when anything was addressed to "Mum or Mummy" we had to ask "Who's it from?" before we could work out whose it was!