Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

kinship carer for grandchildren?

(5 Posts)
suncloud Thu 11-Jun-20 09:10:54

Has anyone else offered to have their grandchildren to live with them as their daughter has had them taken into care. I am a single grandparent and 70yrs old, the children are 6 yrs old and 2yrs old. It would be hard work for me but I cant bear the thought of them being adopted and maybe not being able to see them again. Please give advice if anyone has been in this position. Thanks

Missfoodlove Thu 11-Jun-20 09:50:50

Oh how awful for you.
What a tragic situation.
As a grandparent of not yet 60 I really don’t know how I could look after a 2&6 year old.
It would be exhausting even if you were given custody.
Could you find a way of remaining in their lives by having them to stay with you for weekends and holidays?

EllanVannin Thu 11-Jun-20 10:42:49

Going through all this now, Suncloud.
My GD lost her partner and father of 7 children, in March. GD had a breakdown, Covid was rife and there were these children left to their own devices when my GD couldn't cope. This was recognised by a school teacher who got in touch with ss when it was found that the children were hungry and given breakfasts in school.

My D stepped in and took on the 4 eldest and the three younger ones are in foster care and have been since mid-March. I haven't seen the younger ones since December.
This was only to be a temporary measure but because of the virus things have come to a halt.

Social services have now got my D on the fostering route and she has already been assessed along with the family and all is well. I had my reservations about her being a foster carer as both of us maintain that she's the children's nanny and not a foster carer, hoping she won't be manipulated in any way.

This to me sounds and seems like a long-term " job " which means that my D will have to possibly give up her job although she's being furloughed at the moment as well as being paid for having the children, financially she's in a good place but she's also 58 this year and will be well in her 60's while still looking after the children.

Of course all this has come as a complete bolt out of the blue because my GD managed well and was a good mother but seeing to the children and a sick partner took its toll over the months and everything came to a head. She was trying to battle on without asking for help.

My GD sees the younger children via video-link and the older ones she can meet at a distance. She herself has visits from the mental health team and various counsellors so when it's decided that she can cope, the younger ones will be returned to her.

If I'd have had an extra room I'd definitely have taken a child even at 79 . The child in mind is 7 and one of the three who are together. She's a lovely little girl, in fact it has been remarked more than once that they are lovely children and well looked after, so no problems there.

Things were nipped in the bud just in time I think. The partner had been in and out of hospital for over 2 years so their lives had been upside down for a while until things came to a head. My GD felt shame but it wasn't her fault.

We as a family will and are supporting any area that comes into play. I was even asked and assured for my support by phone yesterday from a ss person so there's no age limit smile

Suncloud, if you feel you could manage, then don't hesitate to speak up. Children will only be up for adoption if there has been abject cruelty or continual neglect.

suncloud Mon 29-Jun-20 18:32:06

Thanks for that, I am waiting to hear from SS about my request to be a long term carer for them. I know it will be hard work and physically tiring but I am prepared to do this as I really feel strongly that children should, if at all possible stay with their blood family if a parent can't for whatever reason look after them. One of my other daughters feel they might be better off adopted though and start with a fresh new family. It is so hard to know what the best solution is.

Iam64 Mon 29-Jun-20 18:36:33

suncloud - I've sent you a PM