Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Connecting remotely with dgc

(4 Posts)
kittylester Fri 12-Jun-20 07:39:10

What do you do with your dgc during the pandemic.

Have you found good apps etc to help you? Are there any educational apps you use together?

We have decided that, as most of our dgc are not going back to school, we need to find better ways of taking some pressure off our daughters so what do you recommend?

Humbertbear Fri 12-Jun-20 08:24:31

We are having very little contact with our three GC at the moment. Two are school averse. The third one is desperate to go back to school. For years she has been receiving monthly books from a book club. They are posted to her at our house . Every month I tell her a new one is here and suggest she calls me online so I can read them to her via FaceTime or WhatsAp but she tells me she is too busy. Like many of us Insimply feel they are growing up and growing away and this has been exacerbated by the Lockdown

suziewoozie Fri 12-Jun-20 10:36:01

It partly depends on age of course but we are now doing two afternoons a week of ‘childcare’ via Zoom for two hours (dgc 9 and 6) I start with spelling tests but build in othrr things eg yesterday I introduced the Nato alphabet as part of that and they loved it. Then we play either Boggle ( numbers) or Yahtze (letters) both work well. Then we watch together YouTube short videos of poems/songs - yesterday was Flanders and Swan and Edward Lear. Then we finish off with a chapter of the latest book we are reading ( atm it’s Alice Through the Looking Glass). Future ideas are the alphabet game and I’ve just found out that the makers of Articulate have made aZoom version freely available which DH and I will trial this weekend. They work at the desk for the first activities and then move with laptop to the sofa for poems and story and snuggle up with each other.
I’d welcome any ideas as well - especially for games that can be played remotely

suziewoozie Fri 12-Jun-20 10:37:27

DH also does the BBC bite size maths sessions with them both individually one morning a week each.