Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

really confused, can my husband and i form a bubble after the 4th July

(12 Posts)
Crap Fri 26-Jun-20 10:18:45

Your website says yes and that social distancing would not be applicable if we are in a bubble with my son and his family, but the government websites say NO, and that only single grandparents can join a bubble with another family.Where have you seen this written ? You also say grandparents will be able to look after grandchildren from 4th July but this cant be done unless a bubble can be formed as you cannot distance if you are looking after children. My son says we all have to distance in the house, what are the right facts. please help

MawB Fri 26-Jun-20 10:34:44

Interesting user name? hmmhmm

Harris27 Fri 26-Jun-20 10:38:32

You can form a bubble with two households that can visit at different times. I will be doing this with my two sons and their families separate. You can have a member stay overnight at your house but no hugs! Which is ridiculous but if that’s the law so be it. It means we can move forward with some ease into a new part of this awful virus. Mind you you can do anything you want at the beach so the telly shows you from yesterday!

Crap Fri 26-Jun-20 10:51:32

Yes but the no hugs means the social distancing rules apply so you couldn’t look after children if you can’t touch them. Bubbles do not require social distancing so this is why we are so confused

Crap Fri 26-Jun-20 10:53:16

Sorry about the username, I was a bit frustrated With all this and didn’t realise anyone would see it. Apologies would change if I could

Teacheranne Fri 26-Jun-20 11:01:30

On the Gvt website, the only bubble mentioned is the original one for a single person with another household. From July 4th, two households of any size can meet together indoors or outdoors, at home, in pubs or go on holiday, but must socially distant. This is not exclusive as each household can meet up with another household at a different time. So grandparents could see one adult child with grandchildren one day and a different household another day.

Outside up to six people of different household can meet with social distancing. In restaurants, only two households can eat, no large groups of single people.

Confusing but quite clear on the Gvt website - not that all the people at the beach, street parties or outside Anfield took any notice yesterday!

Illte Fri 26-Jun-20 11:08:57

Thank you teacherAnne. I thought the official advice was clear.

The huggy bubble is for people who've had to survive quite alone and may be in need of human contact.

Others can meet in small groups but maintain the social distance.

What's so difficult to understand?

It's the media that seem to be confusing it. Or people who want to justify doing something different?

NonnaW Fri 26-Jun-20 14:12:07

I love that description - “huggy bubble” grin

Teacheranne Fri 26-Jun-20 16:28:59

My main social life revolves around the WI, I am President of one group and have dual membership at another. My other group of friends are all members of different Meetup groups where we get together for meals out, theatre trips or concerts. None of these activities look like being allowed again for a long time so the changes after July 4th will not really affect me other than my son will now be able to visit and stay over night.

So I hope other people do get an understanding of the measures and we don't see a rise in cases, otherwise my social life might never start again!

lemsip Fri 26-Jun-20 16:34:56

a bubble is for single people to bubble because of lonliness. If you live with someone then it doesn't apply to you.!

lemsip Fri 26-Jun-20 16:36:08

CRAP,, I assume you usually have a more usual gransnet name then...... why not use it........

Erinthe3 Fri 26-Jun-20 18:41:47

I also noticed Gransnet website stated we could bubble and do childcare but sadly not the case. We desperately want to help our daughter with childcare but impossible with social distancing. Boris said we could have family indoors for meal as long as one metre apart, he obviously has a bigger table than us!