Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

grankids growing up

(5 Posts)
boodymum67 Mon 13-Jul-20 15:13:27

I imagine many of you relate to what I wish to talk about.

My grandchildren are 11, 18, 18 and 21.

The 11 and one of the 18 year olds live away. But I have had them for a week or so during the summer holidays.

I am a crafter and they loved making and doing things with me. The 11 year old will be staying us soon. I am so looking forward to it. She has problems with her absent father. I want to let her know how much she is loved.

two of the oldest are off to uni this year and I have offered them the wisdom of age. We know drugs and alcohol play a big part in uni life. I have had friends whose student children have taken the wrong path and wasted their expensive chances of a good life. It is a sad thing to see..

We love our daughters and we gave them the best chances we could.

The world can be a dangerous place. But we cross our fingers and hope they will be safe.

I`m not asking for advice here, just sharing grandparent thoughts.

Hithere Mon 13-Jul-20 15:22:45

Boodymum67

May I ask how much you know about college life?
Drugs and alcohol is just 5% of that world.

tanith Mon 13-Jul-20 15:23:56

I too have lots of grown up GC all taking different paths and you are right, enjoy them while we can give advice then wait to sometimes pick up the pieces when things go wrong.

My eldest GS got into some trouble in his early 20s and came to me for help as he didn’t want to involve his parents (I did tell them later on) so I helped him get back on track and now 10 yrs on he’s happily married with a lovely daughter and his own flourishing business and this is a teen who narrowly avoided being chucked out of school.

As you say cross our fingers and and hope.

Lolo81 Mon 13-Jul-20 16:32:00

Your GC will have lovely memories of you as they grow up. I have similar memories with my GP’s from childhood. It’s the natural order isn’t it? But can make one feel a bit wistful as these children develop into autonomous adults and pull away a bit as they do so. I did the same with my GP as I grew up and had friends and activities that were unmissable at the time!
Hopefully that nice safe base you have created OP for your GC’s will lead to the type of relationship I had with my Gran and Papa as I grew up where I sought out time with them as an adult. Even now I get misty because my Papa didn’t get to meet my own children, but my Gran has a rare old time with them before she passed away too.
My parents always likened the maturing process to being like a boomerang! The young fly away to make their own way, but will find their way back.
Enjoy your week making memories!

Oopsminty Mon 13-Jul-20 16:33:07

I have children in their early 20s and one late 30s

I have to say they always behaved far better than I did when I was young!