Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Trying to do the right thing

(7 Posts)
Dukeybabe62 Thu 16-Jul-20 08:59:47

Before lockdown my husband and I looked after our two grandchildren one day a week. We are desperate to start again. We are aware of so many people resuming childcare for their grandchildren but we are trying to follow the guidelines. We cannot socially distance as they are 3yrs and 1 Yr old.
My son and DIL are working from home but do find it difficult with the little ones.
My DH has angina and my DIL is asthmatic so perhaps we are being over cautious
So jealous when we see others bending the rules
What to do? Should we offer to look after them. Have said we will as soon as we don't have to social distance. Will that ever happen? Feeling so low about it Thoughts?

timetogo2016 Thu 16-Jul-20 09:11:15

Yes Dukeybabe62 go for it when possible.
You both enjoy looking after them so they clearly make you happy.
It`s a no brainer.
You can`t social distance your grandchildren as you stated so enjoy the love you have with them.

Iam64 Thu 16-Jul-20 09:16:25

I believe grandparents are in an almost impossible position, especially those of us over 70, and/or with health issues that led us to be in the shielding group.
Parents are back at work and even in they're working from home will no doubt be shopping and seeing a number of friends and other relatives.
I was designated clinically vulnerable. That isn't going to go away just because the shielding group are expected to return to work "providing its safe".
We are still not looking after our four grandchildren as we did pre-lock down. This leaves our children struggling as even if they could afford child care, it isn't easily available. We did the school run for the 4 and 5 year old and looked after the two toddlers as well on our baby day.
An invisible, unpaid army of child care much less available than it was four months ago
Sorry DukeyBabe I'm not giving you a positive response.

My view is we are now all like Mr Cummings, trusting our instincts and doing what's best for our families. That's the situation whether we like it or not.

Septimia Thu 16-Jul-20 09:22:14

As I understand it, in Scotland children under 12 no longer have to socially distance.

Since Scotland has been more cautious than England about Covid-19, I see this as a sensible and carefully thought out move towards 'normality'.

The situation regarding children south of the border doesn't seem to have been clarified sufficiently, but I'd be happy to follow Scotland's example.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 16-Jul-20 09:24:26

Wha other activities will you be doing when you aren’t with the children? What activities or shops are they visiting when not with you?
If the answer is none, more or less a total lockdown for both families, then I would think that you could look after the children, including hugs.
That way you won’t be at risk of passing on the virus to your ACs and they won’t pass anything on to you.
If you are all going out and about , then I’m afraid you should stay away.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 16-Jul-20 09:24:58

What not wha!

MerylStreep Thu 16-Jul-20 09:27:18

People have to realise that there isn't going to be an announcement that its ok folks, back to as you were
Everyone has to do what they feel is right. Me, I would have the grandchildren.