Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

My 7 year old granddaughter has stress issues!!!!

(11 Posts)
kittylester Fri 14-Aug-20 10:12:58

She was squeezing lemons for me and announced that it was helping her stress issues!

When I asked what her stress issues are she said,'my brother, the baby, losing my shoes and having to clean my teeth!' grin

B9exchange Fri 14-Aug-20 15:22:44

We have just had 7 year old granddaughter round with parents. Only allowed by them to go in the back garden, and needed the loo. Was far too scared to use ours, and in tears because she was desperate, family left shortly after arrival. What are we doing to these children?

AGAA4 Fri 14-Aug-20 15:31:28

Sadly some children do suffer from stress issues. When my GD was about 8 there were 2 children in her class who had been referred for counselling. Lockdown will have made things worse.

kittylester Fri 14-Aug-20 21:54:01

kittylester

She was squeezing lemons for me and announced that it was helping her stress issues!

When I asked what her stress issues are she said,'my brother, the baby, losing my shoes and having to clean my teeth!' grin

It was light hearted! Or meant to be!!!

Obviously, if they do have stress issues it is very sad. But, my lovely, un stressed, drama queen of a dgd does not really have stress issues!

CanadianGran Sat 15-Aug-20 04:37:19

Kittylester, she does sound sweet! Oh, the drama (hand on forhead!)

Seriously though, I know the last few months has been stressful for many of us, children included. We are now able to have small gatherings. A co-worker had a small back yard birthday party for her daughter age 7, and one guest (another co-workers child) wanted to leave early because "everyone was too close". I feel badly that some children are stressed. Some children are worry-warts and this year has been very trying for them.

Grammaretto Sat 15-Aug-20 05:13:31

Your DGD sounds a delight kitty
A friend's son, who is a worrier, was at the zoo yesterday.
He observed that the penguins were observing social distancing whereas the humans weren't!

Franbern Mon 17-Aug-20 10:19:28

kittylester - lovely story - yes, those sort of things are fine for 7-olds to feel 'stressed about' (having probably overheard the terminology).
It really is up to parents and g.parents to ensure that young children do not become frightened by life - dreadful to hear of youngsters worrying about 'being too close', scared to use a toilet. Far too many children are picking up on the fears of the adults - and you only to look at so many of the posts here to see how many older adults are totally obsessed about this current virus.
If there is no other reason for those people to start to bring their own fears under control, is to hear and see what it can do to little 'uns.

Urmstongran Mon 17-Aug-20 10:27:58

Your granddaughter sounds sweet kitty and your post made me ?

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 17-Aug-20 17:17:43

Sounds like my granddaughter Kitty. I couldn’t help thinking though, when you said it was meant to be lighthearted, you’d get slated for trivialising something which is serious. On a parallel thread maybe.

kittylester Mon 17-Aug-20 17:26:11

I should have maybe headed it 'Things they say' or something like that - in fact, didn't we have a heading with that name once?

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 17-Aug-20 17:49:13

No, I think it worked the way you did it. It was meant to show how young people, girls particularly, can be such drama queens. I was just expecting a backlash. Still time!