Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

18th Birthday

(48 Posts)
chaffinch Thu 03-Sep-20 12:55:06

I realise this depends on your circumstances etc. but what do other GN’ers think is a reasonable amount to give GS on his 18th birthday?

Lives abroad, so sending cash to bank account as usual.
We have 4 other GC, but he is the oldest.

silverlining48 Sun 06-Sep-20 18:46:38

I am sure he will be delighted chaffinch. Hope he has a lovely birthday.

chaffinch Sun 06-Sep-20 08:53:41

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.

I think I am going to send 150 Australian dollars. We normally send 50, roughly £25 and a bit, this new amount will be more than £75, but less than £100, so one hundred extra should seem more than usual.

I know what some of you mean about something to keep, but don’t think many of this young generation are as bothered about forever stuff, not like we were.

Also driving lessons. Good idea, but over there they learn sooner and he passed his test a couple of days after he turned 17, so that was out!

I don’t think the money will go on a boozy night out, he is quite careful with his cash, but I hope he spends it on something he likes, or saves it, whatever.

Daftbag1 Fri 04-Sep-20 18:30:10

We can only afford £30 per birthday, and we also started a habit of taking them out to purchase a nice quality 'interview' suit when they are 18. We stop buying gifts for them when they begin to earn themselves.

Harris27 Fri 04-Sep-20 18:30:03

I gave my sons a nice watch, but would say £100 is very generous and if you can afford it why not?

Kloppite Fri 04-Sep-20 18:28:40

I only have one grandson and since the day he was born I have put £10 a month into a Natiowide account for him to have when he reaches 18, he is now 11 years old so hopefully by the time he's 18 there will be a nice little sum in there for him to enjoy.

sodapop Fri 04-Sep-20 18:02:36

As everyone else said the gift should fit your budget and be an amount you can give to other grandchildren if you have them. I gave my grandchildren the choice to come of age at 18 or 21 but not both. £50 or £100 seems to be a good sum.

wondergran Fri 04-Sep-20 18:00:34

£100 if you can afford it

Caligrandma Fri 04-Sep-20 17:23:44

I don't know about this. I think it depends upon what you can afford to give to all your grandkids on their birthday. I guess it also matters how your grandson is? If he is doing his part at school, in the home, respectful, seems to be going places even if they are small places - that would influence what I gave, if any. I'm not going to be giving my grandchild a large sum if he is into drugs and not following his parents upbringing. I would also try and keep it around the amount I would spend on a gift, gift wrapping etc. And I would ask them what they would like for their birthday, a gift or cash?Mostly, its about your financial situation. You certainly don't want to give a large sum if you struggle every month. You can give just a card, and a gift card to a smoothie place, coffee shop, tea shop.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 04-Sep-20 17:23:08

I have 5gc. When they hit the teens I only gave them a nominal amount of £10, but for their 18th we gave one driving lessons as we could afford it. We are now seeing our last gc through her driving test. Basically its what ever you can afford and how you want to do it.

WOODMOUSE49 Fri 04-Sep-20 17:02:03

Hetty58

It all depends upon your budget - and how many grandchildren you have (or are likely to have) but I'd double the usual birthday amount for an eighteenth. Of course, the same applies for a 21st - but then no more!

Agree with first part of Hetty58's comment.

Ours are not 18 yet. 2 years to go for eldest. Our income is limited so it's £30 for each of them until they get to 18 then the cash presents will stop. 18th will probably be £100.

If after 18 they are studying, we will probably help out with money towards something they need during the study years.

crazyH Fri 04-Sep-20 16:38:13

As I've got older, I have become more generous. I can't take it with me. I don't have a lot, but what I have, I give generously. My point is this - I'd rather see smiles on their faces while I'm able to...I won't be able to do that when I'm gone.

wetflannel Fri 04-Sep-20 16:27:03

Our eldest granddaughter is 18 in October. She will get a cheque as we started a monthly savings account for all 4 granddaughters when they were born. Something to help her in her Uni days hopefully.

Seajaye Fri 04-Sep-20 15:30:32

I think there is a balance to be struck in terms of affordabiliy for the giver and what, say, a £100 can be used for by the recipient. What would you like the recipient to be able to do with the money?. Many 18 year olds would easily spend £100 on a concert ticket or a night out. I think I would buy premium bonds to an amount I could afford that would ensure the £100 ( or whatever sum) wasn't frittered away immediately. I would ensure that I did the same for each GC. Another idea would be to contribute to some driving lessons, but only if the parents agree to this in advance.

Hetty58 Fri 04-Sep-20 14:43:08

What they spend it on, something 'sensible' or a boozy night out - is none of my business. Once, given, it's entirely theirs (with no strings attached) not mine!

Hetty58 Fri 04-Sep-20 14:41:00

It all depends upon your budget - and how many grandchildren you have (or are likely to have) but I'd double the usual birthday amount for an eighteenth. Of course, the same applies for a 21st - but then no more!

Joesoap Fri 04-Sep-20 14:34:08

Whatever you can afford, I gave my Grandson recently at reaching 18, £100 his older brother was given the same amount, both were pleased.

Kim19 Fri 04-Sep-20 14:24:45

I would do relevant to tenner a year. So......£180, euros, dollars, whatever. Obviously depends on what you can afford. That goes without saying. This is what I would do but next year it would revert to 19 whatevers. Only because this one is designated special do I add a zero. Incidentally my sons are 51 & 46 so it becomes expensive. Just as well they're worth it!!

Seefah Fri 04-Sep-20 14:17:08

How about £76.45 for gold bar ( bullionstore.co.uk ) Easy to keep in a wallet in case of emergencies and unusual and he could always sell it . Comes with authentication etc Rather than pound notes which are a bit boring .

Cabbie21 Fri 04-Sep-20 14:07:12

I have four grandchildren, the eldest is 19. Last year I gave her a bracelet and £200 topping up her JISA. I did not get a thank you. This year During lockdown i gave her a trinket I had in the house, and £20. I did get a thank you!
I think it will be £200 for the next three at 18, thereafter £20 and I shall stop once they reach 21.

Jayt Fri 04-Sep-20 13:30:27

We gave our grandsons £118 on their 18th birthdays

Lesley60 Fri 04-Sep-20 13:21:06

I have 7 grandchildren I Give them all £50 for normal birthdays and £100 for 18th and I usually wrap up a little something.
Would give them more if I could afford it, but my ex husband gives the same so not so bad

Tallyann1 Fri 04-Sep-20 13:10:43

We didn’t give our GC’s money on turning 18 ..our gd got a bangle which cost£150 ..so our next two Gs’s were bought a dress watch each which were about the same cost.. mainly because we wanted to give something specific for their bdays that they would keep and remember us by instead of money..the boys love their watches but I have yet to see gd wear her bangle (she is an ungrateful brat) so a mixed result !!

Stella14 Fri 04-Sep-20 13:03:44

It depends on what you can afford. Family will have an idea of that based upon your lifestyle. Thankfully, I am comfortable (not wealthy) financially. I give £100 for a grandchild’s 18th, but if finances were tighter, it would be less. If you are not financially comfortable, £50 would be plenty. Even less if money is tight.

Teacheranne Fri 04-Sep-20 12:50:42

I am very close to my niece who will be 18 this year - my grandchildren live in the US and contact is difficult following a very acrimonious divorce. I used to look after her during school holidays and treat her as a grandchild.

I have asked her which birthday, 18 or 21, she wants to celebrate as I will only buy her one large gift. She has chosen 18 so it is my intention to give her £300 as I am fortunate enough to have a decent pension income. But she will then only get a normal type gift when she is 21 - which might then be my last birthday present.

gillgran Fri 04-Sep-20 12:42:11

This struck a chord with me,
We have just been discussing this same subject, as our (eldest) DGD 1 will be 18 soon.
We have 5 DGC, & the chances of being around when the youngest is 18 is slim..!!
So, to treat them all the same, should they all have something now.?