Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

This is it! Any time now!

(21 Posts)
GogoTJ Fri 16-Oct-20 12:12:23

Here I am dog-sitting while my son and daughter in law are now in the delivery room waiting for the arrival of my first grandbaby!!
Not sure how I feel.
Hoping that she doesn't suffer.
Hoping all goes well.
Worried that he might faint.
Excited to know if it's a boy or girl.
Can't believe it's a real baby yet.
Would rather they had waited another year.
Worried how they'll cope in every way.
Worried how the dog will cope.
Worried cos I can't remember what to do with babies.
Worried cos I don't "do" babies, I prefer cats and dogs; if babies were furry it would be easier.
Everyone tells me the love will just kick right in.
Worried that I won't be allowed to cuddle the baby cos of Covid.
Wondering if the baby will grow up calling me Nanoo as I hope.
Hoping they don't give it some hideous embarrassing, pretentious name.
Wondering what else I can do to help them apart from just be there whenever they need me.
Hoping no genes from my ex-husbands side have filtered across.....especially the ginger ones if it's a boy. Don't mind if it's a girl, I love ginger hair on girls.
Hoping it doesn't inherit my fat genes.
Hoping my grandbaby helps save the world.
Wondering. Worrying, Hoping.....

Esspee Fri 16-Oct-20 12:18:46

How lovely GogoTJ, it is such an exciting time. Hopefully we will hear your good news soon.

Oopsadaisy4 Fri 16-Oct-20 13:18:14

So many things to worry over!

I’m sure all will be fine, but please don’t let the GC consume your life, so many Grandmothers give up everything when the new baby appears, keep your own life going and dip in and out.

They say that you love your children, but you fall in love with your Grandchildren. So true.

honeyrose Fri 16-Oct-20 13:26:04

Aaaah - how wonderful! Yes, can understand all your emotions. My twin granddaughters are almost 3 and born by C-section. When that message (it was a text rather than a phone call, but no matter!) came through to say they had been delivered and all was well, it was a rush of emotions and we were able to see the new mum & dad & twins in hospital that same evening. You may not be able to do that - see them straightaway - of course, but very best wishes to you all. An exciting, but nerve wracking, time! Trust all goes well. ?xx

Eviebeanz Fri 16-Oct-20 13:27:19

How nice to hear some good news - enjoy the new little person in your family nanoo

Bibbity Fri 16-Oct-20 14:09:05

Congratulations! I am many decades off this (hopefully) but I can’t imagine the rollercoaster you’re feeling.
Good luck! And I hope the new family are happy and healthy

Toadinthehole Fri 16-Oct-20 18:18:30

How lovely ?, and hope it goes well....and fast for them, with no problems. You’ll be just fine. All the memories kick back in. Congratulations and wishing you all lots of wonderful years ahead?

Franbern Fri 16-Oct-20 19:00:03

Lovely post. Best wishes, nice to have something good to remember this year. You obviously live close enough to be able to be part of this new family. Don't offer child rearing advice, just enjoy your new status. None of my g.children touched my heart in the same way as my own babies did, but I still love them. Enjoy

Humbley Tue 19-Jan-21 18:31:30

I lost my mum when I was 16 she never saw my children and I had no one to help me my ex husband left after our 3rd child now my daughter has had my 1st grandchild last week 4 days after losing my dad to covid. The baby boy is so cute and I can't wait to hold him but I'm very uncertain as to what I should be like I know ive had children but this little lad isn't mine and as I never saw how my mum would have been with mine I feel nervous I don't want to be over the top but I also don't want them to think I dont care when I do but got so much to do since losing my dad that its a bitter sweet moment. How do you be a great grandparent when you have never seen your own parents do it ive bought my 3 up since my youngest was one ideas gladly received

Septimia Tue 19-Jan-21 18:38:42

I was in no way ready to be a grandmother. I was just beginning to think I might be some time as so many friends were excited about their own grandchildren. I could happily have waited another year or two!

But, somehow, quite unexpectedly, our granddaughter and I seemed to click from the start. We've managed to stay close despite the miles between us.

You have a new adventure ahead of you. I hope you'll find it as enjoyable as I have. Don't feel guilty if it's hard at times, just enjoy the good bits. Remember that, as a grandparent, you can always give them back!

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 19-Jan-21 18:43:24

You’ll be fine, how exciting. I wish you and all your family well. Congratulations!?

Curlywhirly Tue 19-Jan-21 18:54:19

GogoTJ (and Humbley)Aw, what lovely news, you must be so excited. I agree with Franbern in not offering advice, (unless it's asked for of course); a lot of things are done differently now anyway, the midwife and their own friends will be more up to date with answering their queries. I would just be lead by the new parents in how involved they want you to be; they may really welcome your input and be desperate for a rest, or they may want to have a couple of weeks alone while they get used to having a baby in the house. I am sure you will soon get to know how you should play it. Good luck and congratulations!

Shinamae Tue 19-Jan-21 18:56:11

And.......... breathe........?

Hetty58 Tue 19-Jan-21 19:06:04

Every grandchild, excited and worried sick - until the last (7th) one, when my daughter didn't tell me until she'd had it.

Small babies scare me silly. I prefer them once they're a few months old when you can make them laugh and watch them kick and move about.

Names, some nice, some downright silly (in my opinion) but I keep my thoughts to myself. Who really knows what a suitable name will be in the future. I call them all 'Buba' anyway!

Thoro Tue 19-Jan-21 19:40:46

Three years ago I was feeling most of the things you are feeling (I was looking after their two dogs)
This coming weekend I will be looking after grandchild and dogs as DIL is induced with twins.
Scary, exciting, wonderful.
What I have learnt from gransnet is - only give advice when asked. Just enjoy it.

lemongrove Tue 19-Jan-21 21:05:42

I think you will love your grandchild even if he or she has ginger hair ( why is it fine for a girl and not a boy?!)or a lack of fur and whiskers.Haven’t met a grandparent yet who doesn’t.

Marilla Tue 19-Jan-21 21:09:32

Once that new baby is in your arms, those worries will melt away and you will feel the most incredible love for this new little life.

Redhead56 Tue 19-Jan-21 21:20:26

My son got my hair colour it was soft gingery as soon as he was born. Now thirty two years later he is gorgeous 6 ft 5ins gingery hunk!

What ever your grand child's hair colour is you will be in love as soon as you meet congratulations!

glammanana Tue 19-Jan-21 21:57:05

GogoTJ What wonderful news & so exciting for you lots of such exciting years ahead, everyone of my DGCs has been as exciting as the first all over again I am now the proud owner of 5DGSs/3DGDs/2GGCs who are all my pride and joy.sending you flowers

Bathsheba Tue 19-Jan-21 22:01:35

Well the baby was born in October, and GogoTJ never did come back and tell us about it, whether it was a boy or girl and so on. I hope everything went well...

gmarie Tue 19-Jan-21 22:34:12

GogoTJ congratulations! Typing up your thoughts concerns seems like a great way to start processing them! For me most of mine seem to dissolve once real life kicks in. I'm sure seeing your new grandbaby will do the same for you! flowers