Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Speak up or shut up!

(87 Posts)
Granjenny Sat 28-Nov-20 19:31:46

Months ago I posted on here as my 8 year old grand daughter was rude to me, telling me to mind my own business and a few weeks later saying “what’s it got to do with you” when I asked her a question. It turned into an almighty family row as my daughter never disciplined her behaviour. Anyway it smoothed over as time past and because of social distancing we have not spent much time with my family. On a couple of occasions my grand daughter has brought up the row saying do you remember the fight and to her mother , was it last time I stayed over at GM did we have that row.? My daughter is quick to dismiss it quickly without getting into another discussion but I’m tempted to say to my grand daughter do you remember when you told me to mind my own business when I asked you a question......, so I guess it’s a vote to you all, would You speak up or shut up and just let it go??.

eazybee Fri 04-Dec-20 09:01:39

Having seen the cause of the family row, it clearly isn't:
today’s grandchildren who are so different to previous generations and in fact when our own children were youngsters.
It is the parents' attitude to their children's behaviour which is different, and sad to say, they seem prepared to avoid confrontation with their daughter at all costs, the direct consequence being her poor behaviour towards you.

Granjenny Fri 04-Dec-20 01:41:29

Thanks everyone for your input! I guess we are all learning how to handle today’s grandchildren who are so different to previous generations and in fact when our own children were youngsters. Today they are far more grown up and advanced !

Ramblingrose22 Fri 04-Dec-20 00:48:40

So either she thought you were "not allowed" to ask what she was having to eat or she was worried that when you found out when the food was served you wouldn't approve of her choices.

I agree with others that it's unwise to revive the subject but the next time you think she is being rude to you I think you should point out that she has been rude and say why.

Granjenny Fri 04-Dec-20 00:29:14

We were sat in a restaurant and I asked her what she was having for lunch!!!!

MamaBear20 Thu 03-Dec-20 00:29:18

My answer depends on what you asked her that evoked such a response. Was it a mundane question, such as what did you have for lunch? Or was it personal, and therefore the child appropriately stood up for herself and let you know that it was none of your business? And how did a rude comment from a child turn into a row with the family?

trisher Mon 30-Nov-20 20:14:59

I don't see how talking about it can do anything except lead to another row. Both Granjenny and her DD have set ideas about this. I do think the girl should have had to apologise. Children shouldn't be allowed to be rude to anyone.

Nadateturbe Mon 30-Nov-20 11:25:06

.......I also think her mother should have told her not to be rude to granny. But she's only a child. She needs reassured that everyone is ok.

Nadateturbe Mon 30-Nov-20 11:22:24

I think the little girl hasn't got over the row yet. She needs to talk about it.

NannyG123 Mon 30-Nov-20 10:21:11

Leave it.let bygones be bygones. If she brings it up again I woul just say. Not this again I thought we'd got over that . Then say but if its still worrying you, let's talk about it.

chris8888 Mon 30-Nov-20 09:54:33

Totally agree with blacksheep46 - she is looking to clear the air with you

welbeck Sun 29-Nov-20 23:12:41

on this occasion, i agree with hetty above.

FarNorth Sun 29-Nov-20 23:04:53

So many people on here taking nasty, judgemental attitudes - to an 8-yr old child. sad

Hetty58 Sun 29-Nov-20 22:50:56

I always told my children that I loved them very much - but sometimes I didn't like their behaviour.

I'd always forgive them quickly, though, as obviously, being children, they were still learning.

So, I'd let it go completely, unless she brought it up.

In that case, I'd just say 'Don't worry, it's all forgiven. You're only eight, so still learning.'

Each family has it's own rules (maybe strict or very relaxed) but it's a big mistake to expect others to have your rules.

Grannynannywanny Sun 29-Nov-20 22:02:48

This is a thoroughly depressing thread to read about a young child. I wish I hadn’t read it.

Hawera1 Sun 29-Nov-20 21:47:50

It could be a powerplay. It could also be that as a child she's trying to but in on an adult conversation as she wants attention. Her mother should put her in her place but sounds like she won't. If she brings it up again in her mother's presence just ignore it. If you were alone with her then I'd say something to her.

Summerlove Sun 29-Nov-20 21:41:51

So much disdain for a small child who likely wants to talk it out with her gran.

I’d talk to her and see how she is feeling. Be honest that you were hurt at her rudeness. Work together to figure out communication going forward.

I think all the advice to ignore her and brush her off is actually dangerous as it leads to rug sweeping later in life.

Tangerine Sun 29-Nov-20 20:53:13

I think I'd try and move the discussion on. Just say something to your GD like "yes, I remember but we're friends again now and that's what matters".

Your daughter probably feels embarrassed and that's why she seems dismissive.

Happysexagenarian Sun 29-Nov-20 19:10:14

She's baiting you. She may only be eight but I think she enjoyed a sense of power from the 'big family argument' that resulted from her bad behaviour and will do it again, given the chance. If she was worried about your feelings she would apologise, she's not, she's sounding you out, probably considers you a soft target. Either put her down straight away and say "Yes, I rememer it. It's not a happy memory, and I hope you have learned how wrong it is to be rude to other people, especially your grandparents." End of conversation. OR "That's in the past now, lets move on and not speak of it again." Then change the subject completely. Speak to your DD and ask her what your GD has said about the incident since then. If the child has shown no remorse for her behaviour then she will more than likely do it again.

Pix5 Sun 29-Nov-20 17:36:10

If the subject is brought up, ask her if she would like to talk about it and how she feels about it now. I wouldn’t say we’ve moved on as she might feel dismissed. There is a book called non-violent communication which may prove useful.

donna1964 Sun 29-Nov-20 17:33:40

I remember the post about your Granddaughter and her rude behaviour towards you and that your Daughter was not correcting her for it. I hope your Granddaughter has been ok with you since the family row...you should not have to put up with that behaviour from a young child and your daughter should correct her. If your Granddaughter is still bringing the subject up of the row..I would probably say to her next time " Is it bothering you? Then listen to what she has to say and take it from there...you will then know how to deal with it x

Acciaccatura Sun 29-Nov-20 17:20:59

OR......maybe she's recently realised that Christmas is just around the corner ?

jifncif Sun 29-Nov-20 16:37:42

It turned into an almighty family row ????????
this child does wield some power in a household, made me think of what my own daughters when they were children used to mumble when stomping up the stairs after a nagging or telling off or even " your hair looks nice" or" could you run over to the shop ". Its never turned into a family row, my grandsons do the same mumbling whilst stomping off or refusing to even talk to me. So my "rude" girls grew up, one a schoolteacher, one a London black cabbie, one works with the probation services. All with teenage children now, do we have family rows? Never, do I remember every rude comment ? NO. life's too short and I'm too
busy.

montymops Sun 29-Nov-20 16:31:52

I do agree with blacksheep. I think she might be worrying about what happened and what she said. Best to take that view anyway and reassure her that you love her.

LJP1 Sun 29-Nov-20 16:19:46

I suggest that you say that, because you love her, you will draw a curtain over the incident as you know she usually such a lovely granddaughter and tyou think you would both rather go forward without it hanging over your relationship.

Lizbethann55 Sun 29-Nov-20 16:15:46

If your DGD keeps mentioning it, then she obviously wants or needs to discuss it, so it certainly shouldn't be ignored or brushed away. If you do, then she may feel that she can never talk to you about anything that is on her mind. So do talk to her about it, but in a very gentle and loving away. Ask her what she remembers about it, why she thinks it happened etc. If appropriate and it seems right, then tell her that at the time it hurt and was upsetting but that you absolutely love her and that you know that sometimes people say hurtful things without meaning to. Whatever you do, down be or sound angry or resentful. It should be talked about simply because she wants to. Then it can be put to bed.