Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Restrictions easing, but ...

(18 Posts)
NannyB2604 Mon 17-May-21 18:33:24

Not looking for sympathy, just wanted to say how painful it can be (although I'm genuinely pleased for them) to see that grandparents are at last being reunited with their grandchildren. Those of us who have children and grandchildren living abroad, who haven't met up since 2019 or earlier, still have quite a way to go (hopefully Christmas in our case). 2 of our friends have a grandson born last July in UAE, with no prospect of meeting him until Christmas at the earliest. All we ask is that those who are being reunited with family are sensitive - we know you don't mean to 'rub our noses in it' but it can feel like it (and yes, I realise that many of you will think I'm being over-sensitive here). And yes, I do realise that I'm so lucky that my family are still with us - my heart goes out to those who'll never see their loved ones again - bless you all, that must be SO hard. Thanks for reading, stay safe and let's hope an end to all this nightmare is coming xxx

Nansnet Tue 18-May-21 04:12:27

We're in that position. We've not seen our nearly 3 year old GD since the end of 2019. Our second GD, who's is just a month old, we have no idea when we will get to meet her. Current travel restrictions and quarantine rules, in our respective countries, don't look they are going to be eased any time soon. We will just have to be patient. Thank goodness for video calls!

I am, however, very happy for all of you lucky grandparents in the UK who are able to be reunited with your families and get to hug your beautiful grandchildren. Enjoy your special cuddles! Hopefully, we won't have to wait too much longer!

CafeAuLait Tue 18-May-21 05:46:30

I haven't seen my family since late 2019 and I don't know if seeing them this year can happen. Thank goodness for modern methods of communication to bridge the gap a bit. It's starting to feel like a long time.

Nansnet Tue 18-May-21 10:52:08

CafeAuLait ~ "It's starting to feel like a long time."

It certainly is! First GD was just 16 months old when we last saw her, and she'll be 3 years old this summer! She's changed so much, and we've missed out on so much of her little life. Let's hope we can all get to see our families in the not too distant future.

CafeAuLait Tue 18-May-21 11:58:46

I hope so Nansnet. Your little GD will certainly have grown up since you last saw her.

SueDonim Tue 18-May-21 14:54:09

I haven’t seen my US-based son and his family since May 2019 and don’t anticipate seeing them before 2022. I’m not going to rain on anyone else’s parade, though, and I hope those who are able to meet with their GC have a wonderful time together.

AGAA4 Tue 18-May-21 15:57:41

I do feel genuinely sorry for those who have grandchildren who for whatever reason they will not be able to see for some time but are those of us who can see them soon not allowed to mention it for fear of upsetting someone?
There are many widows on here but I haven't seen any asking people not to mention their husbands. Far worse really as we will never see them again.

greenlady102 Tue 18-May-21 16:02:44

AGAA4

I do feel genuinely sorry for those who have grandchildren who for whatever reason they will not be able to see for some time but are those of us who can see them soon not allowed to mention it for fear of upsetting someone?
There are many widows on here but I haven't seen any asking people not to mention their husbands. Far worse really as we will never see them again.

yup. usual advice I am afraid, if you don't like a topic then scroll on by. My late Mum had grandchildren in Dubai...it was in the age before facetime, zoom and so on and she was too frail to travel.

Shinamae Tue 18-May-21 16:03:33

I have recently posted about seeing my daughter and grandchildren in a thread and I make no apology for it. I do feel for people in your situation but like to share my good news with others who have sent me their best wishes...

AGAA4 Tue 18-May-21 16:05:39

You are missing the point greenlady

greenlady102 Tue 18-May-21 16:12:37

AGAA4

You are missing the point greenlady

then explain it to me?

AGAA4 Tue 18-May-21 16:23:47

The point is to ask people not to mention seeing their GCs is not acceptable. I am sorry that some people can't but to ask everyone else to stop posting about it is not what the forum is about.

CafeAuLait Tue 18-May-21 22:28:34

I think it's okay to share that you feel sad not being able to see your GC yet. Hopefully everyone is also looking forward to seeing the parents of those GC. I feel a bit of a twinge when people post about how close they were to GPs and family seeing as I never knew mine, but that's just life. Of course I wouldn't expect people not to talk about it.

BlueBelle Tue 18-May-21 22:43:17

I haven’t seen my son and family for 5 years they were due here from NZ last June, my granddaughter got married this year, and two others had their 18 th and one 21 st all overseas missed them all I haven’t seen my 3 Irish granddaughters for 15 months hoping I will by Christmas
But
It is what it is I don’t begrudge anyone who is now able to see and hug their families I just won’t join in those threads because I ll have nothing joyful to add My turn will come

NannyB2604 Wed 19-May-21 16:54:36

Sorry, lots of people seem to have misunderstood my OP. I'm NOT asking people not to mention/post about seeing their grandchildren - why would I do that? It's lovely that people can see grandchildren and other loved ones again and I'm genuinely pleased for them/you. I said I wasn't asking for sympathy and I really meant that, was just saying it can be hard - e.g., one close relative, when I said how we were missing our family, replied with "Well, we don't see our grandchildren every day, you know". I also realise (and said so) how awful and difficult it must be for those who'll never be able to see their loved ones again. Stay safe everyone and enjoy your reunions - I know ours will come one day.

AGAA4 Wed 19-May-21 17:01:58

NannyB2604 sometimes posts can be taken the wrong way so thanks for coming back and letting us know what has upset you.
The comment from someone saying we don't see out GCs every day was harsh for you.
I have only just seen my grandson who will be 2 soon. He was a baby last time I saw him so I do understand how you feel.
I hope you will be able to be reunited with your family very soon flowers

NannyB2604 Wed 19-May-21 17:07:39

Thanks AGAA4! So pleased you've been able to see your gorgeous little DGS smile

GrandmaRosie Thu 20-May-21 20:19:40

Good to know other people are in the same situation as I am. Daughter and family in Australia and haven’t seen my grandson since he was 18 months - he’s three and a bit now! Try not to think about it too much, but so looking forward to Australia letting us in again. They’d love to come to UK as well, but not allowed out.