Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

6-year-olds are great!

(10 Posts)
JackyB Sat 29-May-21 10:43:11

We have our DGS with us for the day as it's half term here and both parents are WFH. It's so lovely having a child here who is still full of fun and imagination but is also old enough to hold a decent conversation, explain things, and doesn't make quite such a fuss about teeth-cleaning, washing hands and other little things.

It's a lovely age. What do you think is the best age for DGCs. Or do you say we should enjoy each age as it comes along?

Ellianne Sat 29-May-21 10:47:40

Every age is special. I enjoy tiny babies because they are so dependent on you for everything, and they smell nice too!
Make the most of every moment. Some of my GCs are reaching double figures and I want to stop the clock now.

henetha Sat 29-May-21 10:51:42

I miss having a child in the family, now all my grandchildren are young adults and don't show any inclination to give me a great-grandchild!. I think I had the most fun with them when they were old enough to have days out with me and go to the beach etc. So maybe from 6 - 12 years,

Sara1954 Sat 29-May-21 10:53:38

I always especially love them at about 8 to 9

Katyj Sat 29-May-21 10:59:08

Yes we’re enjoying our 6 year old dgd very much. She’s full of fun, and also proving to be very kind and compassionate , still loves cuddles thank goodness . Her 3 year old sister is a joy too. It’s lovely watching them develop, and helping them learn new skills.

kittylester Sat 29-May-21 11:01:34

We had 30 month old Wolfie on Friday - it was wonderful. But I really think all ages are brilliant in grandchildren - even stroppy teens!!

Westcoaster Sat 29-May-21 12:25:10

My DGC are 7 and 4 and are wonderful, if exhausting to have around. More so now that I am on my own since DH died a few months ago.
It's so lovely to see them grow and develop, learning everything so eagerly.
I always thought DD only got better with every passing year as she grew up and it's the same with them.

ayse Sat 29-May-21 13:08:12

I took my twin grandchildren on a double decker bus upstairs yesterday (inset day). Lots of wonderful conversations. They make me smile and we have a very happy time together. We went into Waterstones and they spent ages looking and reading books. They came home with books of their choice and I introduced them to Malorie Blackman. All went quiet on the way home on the bus as they were both reading their new books.

I generally just go with the flow and try to use everything as a learning experience. You’re right. Six year olds are great ?

Grammaretto Sat 29-May-21 13:13:18

I agree about 6yr olds. One of mine has just turned six and has come home with a glowing school report. we were all like that at 6 I'll bet
Mind you her little sister is very entertaining too.
She was mimicking her dad and shouted "pack it in, you!" to the dog.
I think it might have been a lot worse... grin

V3ra Sat 29-May-21 13:38:17

We're currently driving our four year old granddaughter home after a two-night sleepover, while our daughter and her partner have been in hospital for the birth of their son yesterday.

Granddaughter is an intriguing mix of understanding what's going on and having no idea yet.
We've had video calls and seen photos.
She asked this morning if she could make a card for Mummy and has chosen a present for baby.
A momentous life event for her and a pleasure to be a part of it.