Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Bath sharing

(101 Posts)
2Nana2507 Mon 14-Jun-21 13:00:19

My two grandchildren aged 7 (boy) and 4 (girl) still share a bath with their grandfather of the other set of grandparents (not my husband) when they are staying over with them. They have done this since they were tots, the other set of grandparents, my son and his partner (whose father it is) thinks that there is nothing wrong with this and the children think it is fun and love getting in the bath with their grandfather. I, however find this a little disgusting now that the children are getting older and how long will this go on for? The other family are very liberal minded, for instance they sunbathe naked in their garden. I do not want to sound a prude or cause a scene about this, but I do worry about any ill effect this might have on my grandchildren , what does anyone else think?

Blossoming Mon 14-Jun-21 16:39:41

I find that really creepy, it would be ringing alarm bells to me.

AGAA4 Mon 14-Jun-21 16:40:16

This sounds a bit off to me. I can't think of any of the men I know who would want to bathe with their grandchildren.

Galaxy Mon 14-Jun-21 16:40:58

It's not often you get a unanimous opinion on GN, but it looks like you have OP. I am not sure what you can do about it though.

welbeck Mon 14-Jun-21 17:09:38

but OP cannot intervene, in any way, or else she may be banned from seeing the children, esp as it is the children's mother's father who is doing this.
she, OP's DIL has grown up with these nudist types, so it is her culture, OP can't criticise it, that would cause great friction; to disapprove of her family values/norms.
let's hope the children grow out of it soon.

cornishpatsy Mon 14-Jun-21 17:15:20

Nakedness does not seem to be an issue in their family, it's the norm for the children so I doubt there will be any ill effects.

I guess it will go on as long as there is room in the bath.

I am not comfortable being naked or being around others that are but we are all different.

There is nothing you can do about it as you will be insinuating that something inappropriate is going on and that is an horendous thing to accuse someone of.

V3ra Mon 14-Jun-21 17:20:28

My four year old granddaughter fills the bath by herself when she lies down in the water.
There's certainly no room for a seven year old as well!

lemsip Mon 14-Jun-21 17:30:31

cornishpatsy you say it's horrendous to insinuate something inappropriate going on.

excuse me but it is inappropriate for a man who's not the father to enter a bath with a seven yr old boy and a little 4 year old girl. This needs stopping.
how many times have we heard from teenage children relating what happened to them when they were too young.

Witzend Mon 14-Jun-21 17:39:25

Some families are much more relaxed about this sort of thing than others (evidently more so than some GNers!) so if children have always been accustomed to adult bodies, I really don’t think there’s necessarily anything pervy about it.

There will almost always come a point when children want their own privacy.

But I’m reminded of the little boy of a dd’s friend, who would regularly bath or shower with his dad (incidentally an older dad so in other circs would be grandparent age). At age 3 or 4 he told staff at his nursery, ‘My daddy’s got a MASSIVE willy!’ ?

Calendargirl Mon 14-Jun-21 17:46:43

It sounds creepy to me as well.

What would we think if it was the other granny bathing with the children though, and not the grandad?

cornishpatsy Mon 14-Jun-21 17:53:32

Maybe I did not word my reply properly. In my family, a grandfather in the bath with children would be inappropriate as we are not naked around each other and adults have never shared baths with the children, however, in this family they are naked together in the garden so are used to seeing each other.

We do not know how this occurs, is the grandfather in the bath and the children ask to get in? as they have been doing this since little.

If the parents had any concerns surely they would have put a stop to this.

rafichagran Mon 14-Jun-21 17:56:14

No way, and I would not encourage it either.

Mattsmum2 Mon 14-Jun-21 17:59:13

In this day and age where there are so many young people disliking their bodies, it’s refreshing that some are promoting good images, whether old or young. I always bathed with my children and they have grown up to respect their bodies and to be happy in their own skins. There does have to come a time when things change but that will be for the parents to decide.

GrannyLaine Mon 14-Jun-21 18:00:25

Nudity is one thing but this is something else entirely. It is absolutely NOT ok.

NotAGran55 Mon 14-Jun-21 18:14:37

Ask yourself the following question.

Would it be appropriate for a child’s teacher , neighbour , uncle , football coach etc to bathe with them ?

Of course not …..

How is a grandparent any different?

trisher Mon 14-Jun-21 18:17:01

It sounds like the family is quite liberal and accepting of nudity, so the children will know what grandad looks like anyway. There are three of them so it isn't a grandad alone with his grandaughter. Presumably someone is dealing with the children as they get out. I wouldn't do it but if the parents don't mind it's nothing to do with you.

Chewbacca Mon 14-Jun-21 18:17:51

I wouldn't be comfortable with it.

grumppa Mon 14-Jun-21 18:24:52

Yuk!

sodapop Mon 14-Jun-21 18:55:20

I don't have a problem at all with siblings of that age bathing together or even with parents. I would draw the line with grandparents though, that seems a bit creepy.
People do have varying attitudes to nudity I know but unless it's a really large bath there is too much proximity for me.

Sara1954 Mon 14-Jun-21 19:17:03

Is there even room for that may people in one bath?
For me it would be an absolute positive No.
But as others have said, it’s not your call.
But if my grandchildren were bathing with a granddad, I would feel very uncomfortable about it.

varian Mon 14-Jun-21 19:19:22

Yes how do they all fit in unless it is an enormous bath?

BlueBelle Mon 14-Jun-21 21:02:55

Do you know why it’s Pervy because in an normal size bath an adult takes up the whole area, add to that two children ( not that small 7 and 4 ) and they are all on top of each other and bits of the granddad are going to be in contact with that small girl s bits and her brothers too someone will be sitting on someone there just isn’t room for three bodies in a bath without being in full on contact and that is horrible It’s not the same as walking around naked and children seeing adult nudity Quite different and I don’t care what anyone says NO adult old man gets into physical contact with a child, innocently

Harris27 Mon 14-Jun-21 21:08:24

Not too comfortable with this and work in early years I agree if something is said at nursery or school it will be brought up in some way. Parents yes grandparents no.

Bashful Mon 14-Jun-21 21:16:28

No, I think in this day and age it is not appropriate at all.
I would be bathing the children separately now that the boy is 7. I would be very suspicious of a grandfather wanting to bathe with my naked 4 year old daughter. Alarm bells are ringing for me! Unfortunately there isn’t much you can do as they’re not your children. However, you could keep an eye out for your gd having any urine infections, soreness down below or bruising etc. How do you feel about the grandfather. Did you have any negative gut feelings about him before you knew they were bathing together?

TrendyNannie6 Mon 14-Jun-21 21:39:40

Makes me shudder! Turns my stomach ! Totally wrong! Why on earth does an old man want to go and bath with a 7 year old and 4 year old! I don’t care how big the bath is! Just WHY!

donna1964 Mon 14-Jun-21 21:53:38

This is not right! If it comes out in school by one of the children then the parents will be pulled in as safe guarding measure!!