Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Major guilt over moving away

(13 Posts)
ElaineI Thu 01-Jul-21 11:14:01

12 hours is a lot further than 2 or 4 so a bit misleading however lots of grandparents live much further away. Not sure about the state thing. Is there issues between states? You should do what you feel is best for you and your husband at this stage in life.

Nicegranny Thu 01-Jul-21 01:52:10

Sod em. Move and then spend their inheritance.

CafeAuLait Thu 01-Jul-21 00:12:38

You need to do what makes you happy. The rest will sort itself out. It's fair to think you won't see your GC as often, of course. More distance tends to do that. I wouldn't feel guilty about moving if you decide that is what you want to do. If you stay, is there any guarantee your son's family won't move again anyway?

I wouldn't put it on DIL to have to organise the travel and make the effort to drive to see you though. That detail is your son's responsibility to sort if she isn't naturally inclined to make the same effort to drive to you as she does to her own parents.

M0nica Wed 30-Jun-21 17:19:25

I do wish graandparents would stop loading themselves with guilt and just get on and enjoy their lives. Your son's family didn't consult you before they moved two hours away and I am pretty sure they are not writhing with guilty feelings because they did what they did.

So you are going to move two hours away from this central location into another state, so what? You will only be 4 hours apart, as others have pointed out. Even by British standards that isn't that far. We and our son and family do a journey that long regularly to see each other.

How far apart you and your son are living, and it really isn't that far, has nothing to do with how much you and you son's family see each other. How much you see each other is a question of the relationship between the family members involved, the distance is merely a useful excuse to use to hide other problems.

Move where you want and then address the real family issues and certainly do not waste your time wallowing in guilt, I am sure that there are many more enjoyable and interesting things you can do with your time.

sodapop Wed 30-Jun-21 17:18:24

Can't add any more to Ali08's post.

I hope you will be happy in new town and home too.

Ali08 Wed 30-Jun-21 17:02:02

If DiL is happy to drive to see her parents 2x a week, then surely they could fly to see you at half term or during holidays!
They could stay with you or nearby, depending on personal choice. And I'm sure the GC would love this!
You and your husband could visit them maybe for long weekends!
Go for the place you and your husband have fallen in love with, you've done your parenting now it's their time to consider you!!
Best luck with your move and I truly hope you're very happy there!!

NotSpaghetti Wed 30-Jun-21 16:52:29

I think asking if we moved out of state, would they come and visit is inevitably going to have a "where are you thinking" response.

90 mins flight is not a lot but 12 hrs drive definitely is.
I'd ignore it personally as you can still visit and once the children grow they can be put on the plane and come up to you.

If you've been away happily for 6 months, I think you can visit them every six months if need be.
Try not to stress, and enjoy the next chapter of your lives.
flowers

H1954 Wed 30-Jun-21 16:13:46

Do just as your son said..........do what makes YOU happy! It does rather sound as though your DIL wants you closer and there might be a hidden agenda in the form of childcare etc. DIL does sound somewhat manipulative to be honest and it's not her place to dictate where you and your OH live.
Be happy in your new home.

Summertime55 Wed 30-Jun-21 16:05:57

He was playing with the kids when she said that. And yes he can drive. LOL We’d be 12 hrs away or a 90 min plane ride. He had said before we left on our travels, that he knew we’d find a little place we’d want to move to and he was ok with that. He wanted us to be happy, but apparently she has a different thought.

greenlady102 Wed 30-Jun-21 15:42:17

If they don't want to be part of your lives then you could live next door and it wouldn't change that. What did your son say? Does he not drive?

Summertime55 Wed 30-Jun-21 15:36:58

Because they had moved away and gone on with bettering their lives, we didn’t feel guilty about doing the same, but we’d be more than a couple hours away. And yes, we do plan on visiting everyone, I was just talking about them not coming to visit us, or wanting to be a part of our lives. It’s just a sad situation.

BlueBelle Wed 30-Jun-21 15:31:14

Do what is right for you and your husband
If your daughter in law is tardy about visiting why can’t you visit them ? even if you stay in a B and B

They moved over 2 hrs away, so we felt it was ok for us to do the same
If you’re only 2 hours ( or even 4 hours away ) what’s the problem ? Perhaps I m reading it wrong ?

Summertime55 Wed 30-Jun-21 15:22:25

After 25 yrs in the military and then several years of working in the hot desert, my husband finally retired. We wanted something different for our next chapter, so we sold our home, put everything in storage, said goodbye to our two boys and their families, my parents and the rest of our family, packed up our trailer, loaded up the dogs and took off traveling. I’ve always worked remotely, so it was an easy decision. We’ve been on the road about six months and decided to come back home to visit, but we found a little mountain town in an adjoining state that we fell in love with and want to move to. When visiting our youngest and his family, I asked them, if we moved out of state, would they come and visit and my DIL said it depends on what state and I can tell you now, that maybe we’d be up once every 3 or 4 years. Keep in mind that she drives 2.5 hrs each way, once a week so she can take the kids to see her parents. It’s always been about them, which as a mom of boys, I understand the different status to which I’m held. They moved over 2 hrs away, so we felt it was ok for us to do the same, but she feels that if we move out of state, we’re choosing not to be a part of their lives any longer. It’s hurtful, because we have done so much to help them, when needed and her parents did nothing. Now I have major guilt about leaving the state and my husband said he won’t be bullied and he still wants to move. I agree with him, but it’s still difficult to know what to do as a Grandparent, especially when our grandkids ask us to move by them. ?‍♀️