Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Advice please

(18 Posts)
Rockchick61 Mon 04-Apr-22 22:07:07

Hi all, my first post on here but have already taken notice of some of the threads, in particular Paternal grandparents, so Thank you ? I'm 60, no partner, have health conditions and on benefits, sociable and always eager to help.

I have 3 sons, one is married with 2 boys, oldest is 4, and a baby of 5 months. I get on really well with DIL, they live local to her parents and they treat my son well and as part of the family. I live an hours drive away and also have cfs, previously known as m.e so energy levels fluctuate.

Before youngest arrived I was available as much as possible for babysitting, oldest loves coming here, staying over, being spoilt rotten with our time and energy. I'm on my own but my eldest lives here, has medical issues, (epilepsy) but loves spending time with his nephew.

My youngest has severe learning difficulties and lives in supported living over an hour away, age 24 I stay there and he comes here but it is v tiring and sometimes takes me a day or two to recover.

Recently, I've been struggling to find a time to visit them (they've been busy) even though they've said I'm welcome anytime. Time before last I went over and DIL was distinctly distant and off. I have started to feel like a stalker because of my constant asking to go over.

Latest issue is my cats. They have had fleas and my eldest Gs has been bitten on the legs a few times. Last time before he stayed I did everything in my power to eradicate them, drops on cats, flea bombs, sprays, hoovering and mopping, repellent spray on Gs, new bedding, everything else washed, checked him over before going back, could see nothing and thought we'd cracked it!! We hadn't though sadly, DIL text and said it's better if he doesn't stay over till they're all gone. Chats with friends who have pets have said it's highly unlikely they will ever truly disappear. I have one more option to try in terms of a spray. I'm slightly worried about all the chemicals I am spraying around too. I have totally respected their decision of course. Need to chat to the son and DIL see if this means no visits from them at all. As it is difficult to get a visit to them arranged have thought maybe better for me to back off a little and wait for them to ask me to visit? I have a good life, lots of interests, lots of input with my special needs son. I feel sad but I am quite resilient due to past life events!! We obviously love our 2 cats, and we lost the 3rd one back in January.

I also had hand surgery in January and I am still having problems, seeing surgeon for follow up in a week's time.

Would just like to know what people think. I really berated myself about the fleas, other stuff was happening at the time and I felt like a worthless, useless Mum and Granny, cried a lot. They don't have any pets, I don't think DIL was brought up with pets and she really dislikes the cats. I taught my Gs to respect them, be gentle, he helps feed them and so on.

Hope this all makes sense, I look forward to your thoughts ??????

Elizabeth27 Mon 04-Apr-22 22:32:48

People that do not have pets are absolutely horrified about fleas so your daughter in law is probably acting the way she thinks is for the best.

I have always had cats so know a some point there will be fleas, even if treated monthly.

I am so sorry that I do not have an answer to your problem but hope your daughter in law calms done about it and allows visits in future.

Farmor15 Mon 04-Apr-22 22:44:34

Sorry to hear of your difficulties in seeing your son and family. I have a feeling the cats and fleas may be the problem at the moment. With a 5 month old, I suspect they may be reluctant to visit your house.

If you got on well with dil previously, I wouldn’t focus too much on your feeling that she was a bit distant when you were visiting. With a young baby, she may just have been exhausted and not up to chatting.

I think your idea of waiting for them to invite you may be the best for now.

dogsmother Mon 04-Apr-22 22:49:07

Hm. Don’t cat fleas become a massive problem, if they get into the house? I thought that you had to be fumigated to rid of them. That’s why they have to be permanently treated to avoid this problem. I might be mistaken I just always understood cat fleas to be more problematic than dog fleas.

Farmor15 Mon 04-Apr-22 23:18:11

We’ve always had cats, but only once were fleas a problem for 1 of our children. I don’t think you need to fumigate the house, but the cats need to be treated regularly.

Some people can be allergic to cat flea bites and have a worse reaction than others, which was the case I think with our child and maybe your GS.

VioletSky Mon 04-Apr-22 23:34:07

Fleas are a nightmare and we know how we feel knowing the pesky things are around so to a non pet lover it probably feels like the end of the world, parasites bad, I guess for a non pet lover it's probably how I would feel if I heard a home had bed bugs.

I'm hoping given time she will calm down on this issue... Its a horrible situation for you though and I wish I had some advice that would help

Esspee Mon 04-Apr-22 23:39:08

I wouldn’t visit a house with fleas never mind allowing young children to visit.
I can quite understand your d-i-l’s reaction. Surely the vet can advise you.

Shandy57 Mon 04-Apr-22 23:46:10

I didn't used to great about keeping up my 'flea eradication' routine and was mortified when a friend came round and I saw one jump onto her leg sad

I now use the treatment from the vet on my cat each month, spray her bedding (in the garden and air for ages), and hoover every day.

Unfortunately the cycle of a flea is complex and when the adults have died, the eggs hatch - somewhere!

Hoovering the little egg blighters up is the only way but as you are recovering from hand surgery that will be hard for you.

I hope you can relax and continue your routine in a gentle way, and be careful with those sprays, I know they are toxic.

mokryna Mon 04-Apr-22 23:50:26

Welcome Rockchick61. I am sorry I can’t help you even though very many years ago I had two cats, I never had any problems. I think you should, like Esspee, suggested and ask the vet.

Shandy57 Tue 05-Apr-22 00:03:47

You might like this article. In the past it was recommended to throw away the hoover bag after vacuuming when you had an infestation, but impossible for me as I have a Shark.

www.animeddirect.co.uk/advice/top-10-flea-treatment-tips/

Rockchick61 Tue 05-Apr-22 01:04:32

Thank you for all comments. I just want to say, as I'm not sure how it came over, I totally respect my dil decision and will not make a fuss. Any "chats" will be with both of them, I just want to clarify if it means absolutely no visits here at moment and no more will be said from me ??. We've always got on well and I've supported her as much as I can given the distance involved and my health. My son by his own choice cut contact with his dad a few years ago so I'm keen to make sure they know I love them and will be there for the m ?? xxxx

Hithere Tue 05-Apr-22 01:28:40

I have cats and having fleas would be a big deal

I can understand your dil

Fleas can transmit diseases to humans

Not saying this is the case - it was a method of transmission of bubonic plague, also known as black death

BlueBelle Tue 05-Apr-22 06:47:43

I think you sound a nice kind understanding person but I ve got to say if my child came home with flea bites I wouldn’t want them to come round either
So I think you must sort that out or offer to meet the kids outside at a park or playpark etc
It sounds as if it’s got a bit out of control
Once you ve got fleas in the house carpet etc they are the very devil to get rid of and I wouldn’t want a child around all those chemicals either
I hope you get it sorted

Daisymae Tue 05-Apr-22 08:42:08

I would go to the vet and get their advice. I've had cats in the past and while they do get fleas they can be eradicated. My dog is currently treated every 3 months. One tablet does the trick. It's expensive but will be well worth it and one less problem to worry about.

Dee1012 Tue 05-Apr-22 11:32:46

Just a thought but could you a try a Seresto flea collar for your cat?
My brother has used these with fantastic results as even treatment from the vet couldn't resolve the issue he had with his cat.

Smileless2012 Tue 05-Apr-22 11:42:22

Make sure that any flea treatment is from your vet Rockchick those available 'over the counter' tend not to be as effective so it's worth paying more for more reliable treatment.

I wonder if your son cutting contact with his father is making you anxious that this may happen with you. Understandable IMO but if so, do try to put it out of your mind.

You sound as if you have a lovely relationship with your son and d.i.l. As has been suggested, with a 5 month and 4 year old, perhaps she was feeling particularly tired on that occasion.

Needing clarification regarding visiting is perfectly reasonable and understandable and you've already said they know you understand and accept their decision not to visit until you've got rid of the fleas.

Good luck with thatflowers.

Keeper1 Tue 05-Apr-22 12:28:32

The thing to remember is that the fleas do not stop on the cat they will live in your carpets, edges of rooms they jump on the cat to feed. There are different treatments available from your vet.

Shandy57 Tue 05-Apr-22 12:44:27

I don't use collars on my cat in case she gets stuck somewhere.

It is important to read the instructions very carefully too - a flea collar cannot be used with any other treatment.

I second the flea treatment from the vet, I am sorry to see so many ineffective cheap treatments for sale in Yorkshire Trading etc.