Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Holiday with teenage grand daughter

(18 Posts)
florina Sat 18-Jun-22 22:37:30

I am thinking of having a few days in Amsterdam with my 16year old grand daughter. Any suggestions, guidelines, advice please. Thankyou in advance.

Chestnut Sun 19-Jun-22 00:04:28

Strangely enough I took my daughter to Paris when she was 16 and felt very uncomfortable. There were men watching us everywhere and because I was the only adult with a young girl I felt vulnerable. I didn't enjoy it at all and swore I'd never do that again, I would go with other adults. I'd say cities are not the safest places for one woman and a teenager. So sorry to be a wet blanket but my advice is go with at least one other adult. Maybe one of her friends and her mother?

Georgesgran Sun 19-Jun-22 00:08:51

Chestnut was that recently?

Humbertbear Sun 19-Jun-22 08:01:54

I don’t think you can compare Paris with Amsterdam but I’m not sure a teenager would like the latter. teenage GD is going to Liverpool with her mother to do the Beatles 48 hour tour.

dragonfly46 Sun 19-Jun-22 08:24:47

I think you will love Amsterdam. I used to take my teenage daughter there all the time when we lived there.
There are lovely shops, quirky museums ( no not the sex ones), the Vondel Park, Anne Frank’s house, Rembrandts house, a trip on a boat round the canals, hidden gardens - the list is endless.
Go and enjoy.

Hetty58 Sun 19-Jun-22 08:24:59

florina, suggestions? - just don't!

Marsha Sun 19-Jun-22 08:28:25

Rotterdam is very cool these days

Jaxjacky Sun 19-Jun-22 09:12:41

Precious time with your GD, lots to do, just check out a safe area to stay. Enjoy it, you’ll have memories for years.

Chestnut Sun 19-Jun-22 09:38:01

Georgesgran

Chestnut was that recently?

Not recently, it was in 1999 but things haven't exactly got better since then.

LOUISA1523 Sun 19-Jun-22 09:40:38

I had a brilliant short break to Amsterdam with my DD when she was 17 and my Mum ( DDs grandma) ....my DD loved the outdoor Albert Cuyp Market( over a mile of stalls) ....we went Anne Frank House, sat dipping our feet in the water eating ice cream outside the Rijksmuseum ( where the 'I AMsterdam' sign is....walked around the Jordaan area ( houseboats, little markets ....outdoor dining ) ....had a picnic in vondelpark.....climbed a church tower ( can't remember name) brilliant views at top.... walked thru the red light district in evenings...very colourful !! ... went shopping in kalverstratt.... we didn't do any of the museums but there's loads of them ..... it was scorching hot when we went ....we all had a great time and we were 3 generations.... my DD is 28 now and she and my mum still talk about it ....have a great trip

LOUISA1523 Sun 19-Jun-22 09:43:44

Humbertbear

I don’t think you can compare Paris with Amsterdam but I’m not sure a teenager would like the latter. teenage GD is going to Liverpool with her mother to do the Beatles 48 hour tour.

Why would you think a teenager wouldn't enjoy Amsterdam? Have you been?

Galaxy Sun 19-Jun-22 09:44:36

Amsterdam is lovely, just avoid the red light district, the fact that it is a tourist destination makes me despair. Perhaps it will change, in the way that other European countries are beginning to understand the damage prostitution and are legislating accordingly.
But I have had lovely holidays there.

MawtheMerrier Sun 19-Jun-22 09:54:38

Sadly I think Chestnut may have a point.
It could depend on the granddaughter too - a young 16 or 16 going on 21?
There are sleazy types everywhere alas.

dragonfly46 Sun 19-Jun-22 10:04:03

What nonsense! Are you saying that a mother and daughter should not go to any city alone. I have walked around Paris, London, Amsterdam and even took her to New York for a few day. I was told by a fellow there that I had a very beautiful daughter but it was not threatening.

As an aside I used to walk through the red light area in Amsterdam with my daughter in a pushchair on the way to the station. There is a lovely church in the loft there which is worth visiting dating back to when the Catholics were ostracised ( Onze Liefe Vrouw op Zolder).

Luckygirl3 Sun 19-Jun-22 10:04:48

I went to Venice for a week with my 3 DDs as a celebration of my 50th birthday - that was a while ago! The girls were mid to late teens.

It was both lovely and a nightmare - the Italian men followed us about, gazed longingly at these 3 beautiful young women, shouted and whooped at them. On the sleeper car in the train home I stayed awake all night to protect them!

But maybe the Dutch men are a bit more restrained - I hope so! It sounds like a lovely thing to do and I hope you have a great time!

Chestnut Sun 19-Jun-22 10:06:25

I didn't like being the only adult and responsible for a teenage girl especially after dark. I felt safer in the tourist areas during daylight, so maybe stay in a central hotel (more expensive) to avoid travelling out of centre.

Kalu Sun 19-Jun-22 10:11:41

Like all cities, there are areas to avoid and areas to enjoy. I would have no qualms taking either of my GDs to Paris or Amsterdam as I know both cities well and they would love the experience. Tourist Information offices will give you a map and outline places of interest.

luluaugust Sun 19-Jun-22 10:28:54

Unwanted attention can happen anywhere, DD had to "rescue" DGD, who had just slightly wandered away, in the local shopping centre last week, she is 15 but due to her height looks much older, shrugs all round from the gents involved.
As others have said just pay attention to where you book to stay. Would you wander around at night here?