Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Is it ok?

(23 Posts)
Babushy Mon 08-Aug-22 22:26:07

Go Home ... There is no way you can make it easy ...because its the hardest job in the world ! You will always be a grandparent ... and tbh ...nobody wants mother hovering around 24/7...
go home rest and recharge ...if you have offered to babysit ...look forward to that !

welbeck Sat 06-Aug-22 15:38:52

OP i think what you are describing is trauma bonding.
you need to give yourself time to rest, recover and reset.
all the best.

CanadianNonna Sat 06-Aug-22 15:28:10

hi - totally normal new Gran. you have been through an intense experience and likely that’s underneath your fears
i had a similar situation and my gd is now 4. i look after her tuesdays now and we have sleepovers every now and then
she is truly my joy and we are very close.
being a grandparent is the best thing about getting older. i’m very active so we do lots of things together - hiking, swimming and skiing last winter. sure she has her moments as a 4 year old but her parents my son and dl are wonderful parents who have good boundaries and routines. relax and enjoy the journey!

AGAA4 Fri 22-Jul-22 14:54:00

I wondered when the pandemic arrived that my GS then 9 months old would forget me. I didn't see him for many months but when I did he ran to me shouting "Nana!" and we had a big cuddle.
If you share a bond and see him fairy regularly he won't forget you.

Witzend Fri 22-Jul-22 14:04:44

Once a week will honestly be fine. Living 60 miles away, it’s all we did with Gdd1 from 9 to 15 months - relationship has always been very close - she’s 7 now.

Madgran77 Fri 22-Jul-22 13:57:46

You sound like you are doing brilliantly. Once a week care ..like we did ...you will build a lovely relationship, please don't worry flowers

JaydeeTas Fri 22-Jul-22 13:00:41

From experience… the feeling will pass… you are so entrenched in their lives right now (and they clearly needed it) and it would be hard to step away even for a little bit.. I know I was very sad. I even cried.. it is because we are so invested..
Won’t be long and you will have your new routine and the bond will be solid. Xx

Hithere Mon 18-Jul-22 00:13:57

Please relax and enjoy your relationship - it is an emotional time but please think rationally

Lucca Sun 17-Jul-22 18:58:43

I even have a special bond with one who lives Sydney….. seen once in the last 4 years, sorry but ….

BlueBelle Sun 17-Jul-22 18:21:53

I’m with you lucca I don’t understand what the problem is
Had gallons more contact than I had and I have a good relationship with all of them

Lucca Sun 17-Jul-22 18:05:05

I’m so worried that my grandson won’t know me and I won’t have a relationship with him although when my daughter returns to work I’m going to be looking after him once a week so I’m looking forward to that

Sorry but I’m confused. How would you not have a relationship with him in that case?

Tbh you are spectacularly lucky.

Iam64 Sun 17-Jul-22 17:57:50

You must be physically and emotionally so tired. Don’t worry about bonding at all.
Get some rest and sleep and it’s likely your worries will diminish
Congratulations to all of you
How lucky your daughter and son-in-law law are to have youx

M0nica Sun 17-Jul-22 17:24:26

I live 200 miles from my DGC. We stayed a couple of days after each birth and then every six weeks - 2 months since.

They are now 12 and 15 and we have a close relationship.

I think this belief people have that if they do not see their DGC on a weekly, if not daily basis, they will not 'bond' is a lot of nonsense.

As a child i did not see my grandparents for three years when my father was working overseas. All this before modern communications, even phone calls were crippling expensive. It in no way interfered with the close and loving relationship I had with my maternal grandmother. My paternal grandmother didn't much like me, so it made no difference there, either

Anne701951 Sun 17-Jul-22 14:08:53

My granddaughter lives in Manhattan and we live in Michigan. It takes 12 hours to drive or 2 by plane . We see here 4 times a year and facetime every week. Wecsoendc10 days with them in the summer in Nantucket. I also send her little packages. We have a wonderful relationship and she loves her Grandmama and Grandpapa. They will be moving to London for a few years and my son will be bringing us over every 4 months. Plus they will be back in Nantucket for the summers. I do wish they lived around the corner, but our children have their own lives like we did.

Wheniwasyourage Sun 17-Jul-22 14:00:27

Congratulations on your new grandson, and enjoy being a grandmother. Don't worry! All our DGC are at least (fortunately for us) in the same country, but we don't see them more than every few months. Little ones don't forget you, and can recognise you from an early age. Ask your DD and SIL to mention you to your grandson if he isn't going to see you for a while, but if you are looking after him once a week, you have absolutely no problem!!

Mine Sun 17-Jul-22 13:39:12

You sound like a lovely mum and gran STRAWBERRYGIRAFFE....and have been a great support to your family....In your heart you know what you have to do step back and let them be their own family....Your daughter will also know that you have to get back to your own life...You've got years ahead to spend with your precious grandson...I'm sure you'll have a very strong bond with him....

Strawberrygiraffe Sun 17-Jul-22 13:31:57

Thank you

Farmor15 Sun 17-Jul-22 12:36:05

At this age it won't affect your bond even if you don't see your grandchild for a few weeks. Our first grandchild was born in another country- we visited after a month and stayed a week. After that, we saw her about 4 times a year but have a great relationship- she's nearly 7 now.

A friend's daughter had twins, and friend stayed for a few days initially, then a couple of days a week for some months. After that, less often - like you she felt she had to let parents figure it out.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 17-Jul-22 12:22:44

I looked after MzOops for several weeks as she had to have total bed rest, babyOops arrived premature, I was there at the birth, so I stayed with them for 6 weeks, to help at night and for feeds as she didn’t have the ‘sucking’ mechanism sorted, then for 3 weeks I stayed but went home at the weekends.

When I was told that they were all ok and could cope I was exhausted, pleased to be going home, but I cried all the way in the Taxi to Paddington Station! I need ent have worried because every month they came and stayed for a week. The closeness of us and the Oopsies has continued for 18 years.

Emotional , exhausted but well done for being there for them.

Strawberrygiraffe Sun 17-Jul-22 12:09:47

Thank you. And yes I’m sad as I don’t want tot go home and leave my daughter and him.
Just feeling a bit emotional I guess. It’s been a very tough few weeks.

Doodledog Sun 17-Jul-22 12:08:06

First of all, congratulations on your miracle grandbaby!

I can't offer advice from experience, as I am not yet a gran, (and between us if it happens I am more likely to be the paternal one, with parents and baby 120 miles away and other gran round the corner).

Bearing in mind my total lack of experience, I suspect that what you are experiencing is perfectly normal, as that close relationship will evolve from the way it is now, when the baby is entirely dependent through various stages until one day the next generation comes along. With hindsight, I could grieve for each of those stages with my own children, but when we live them for the first time we don't notice. We can't know that we have held their hand to cross the road for the last time, or that it is the last time they'll snuggle into our bed on a Saturday morning in case there is a monster in their room, but we know now how many of those 'last times' there were, and can predict them with grandchildren.

The difference is that grandparents are armed with that knowledge, and know that for every last time there will be a new first. Try to keep that in mind, and enjoy the baby smile

GagaJo Sun 17-Jul-22 12:04:56

What do you think you're sad about? You have had / will continue to have a lot of contact. Is it that you don't want to go home and leave him?

Strawberrygiraffe Sun 17-Jul-22 11:58:04

So quick background, my daughter became pregnant with a miracle baby (lots of fertility issues) and although she and her husband live a distance away we have remained very close, speak everyday etc.
the pregnancy was very tough from the off and at 33 weeks her waters broke and 34 weeks she went into labour. Her plan was always to have her husband and myself with her and thankfully this happened but the labour was very long and tough and baby turned so an emergency c section was needed.
All was well and both came through. Baby stayed in special care unit briefly and after a stay in hospital they both came home.
During the hospital stay my daughter became quite upset and luckily I was allowed (by her request) to stay overnight until she was discharged.
I have taken 2 months off work and have been staying with them for just over three weeks now.
I’m returning home for a few days this week as I feel we all need some time ( I also want to see my husband and get some sleep as my daughter needs help though the night)
I will be returning as my sil doesn’t drive and my daughter is unable to post C section.
Tbh is is my first grandchild and obviously I’m besotted but I honestly do not know how I’m going to be able to go back to a normal day to day after this.
I make sure not to interfere, only giving suggestions if asked and aside for the nights I only help when asked (I mainly do the winding and nappies cheeky cuddle times when daughter resting)
I plan on only staying for a couple of days at a time from when my daughter is able to drive as I truly feel they need time to work out their own routines without my help.

I’m so worried that my grandson won’t know me and I won’t have a relationship with him although when my daughter returns to work I’m going to be looking after him once a week so I’m looking forward to that.
I guess I just want some reassurance that this sad feeling I keep getting is normal and I’m doing the right things?

Thanks in advance and btw my grandson is absolutely wonderful