Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Adhd

(10 Posts)
colournanny Sun 31-Jul-22 22:32:39

Hi Does anyone have grandchildren who are on medication for adhd?

Deedaa Sun 31-Jul-22 22:42:37

My oldest grandson was put on medication when he started secondary school. It did help him to focus but when he was 14 he decided there was nothing wrong with him and he didn't need to take anything. Now that he's got GCSEs next year he really does need to go back on the meds but they have been waiting months now to get an appointment with his psychiatrist. His 8year old cousin has been diagnosed with ASD but the jury is still out on whether he has got ADHD.

colournanny Sun 31-Jul-22 23:20:31

My grandchild is only 6 & just diagnosed Not sure how we feel
About meds He is such a little character his mum is worried it’ll change him

Greenfinch Sun 31-Jul-22 23:26:42

My grandson had meds when he was 10 but they didn’t make the slightest bit of difference and so he came off them. Now at 15 ADHD doesn’t seem to be too much of a problem though he struggles with his autism.

MiniMoon Sun 31-Jul-22 23:39:37

Two of my grandsons are on medication for ADHD. They both concentrate better for longer. My daughter noticed a big difference in their attention with school work. She teaches them at home.
Here's a little story about the younger one.
He asked his Mum if he could miss his medication one morning. She asked him why and he told her that he had loads of ideas and wanted to start them all.
Later he asked for his meds because he wanted to concentrate on the projects that he had started. He was 8 at the time.

Shelflife Mon 01-Aug-22 09:15:22

My GS has ADHD and was on medication which definitely helped him focus and concentrate in class - his grades improved!! However at age 14 he said he no longer wanted to take them - one side effect for him was loss if appetite/ not enjoying meals. Parents now waiting got GCSE results but are not expecting good grades. He is starting a college course next month. I suspect he will be happier out of school , so it's now onwards and upwards for him. He is a delightful young man and his condition is improving as he matures. Don't worry !

M0nica Mon 01-Aug-22 09:18:57

Both DS (50) and DGS(12) are awaiting assessment.

colournanny Mon 01-Aug-22 14:01:57

It’s so hard not to worry isn’t it.
This beautiful boy has had struggles since birth & just seems to be another thing
Thankyou for your reply

BigBertha1 Mon 01-Aug-22 14:05:30

My nephew (dear to me as any grandson) was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 22 at University. He went through our state education system with multiple problems without any diagnosis or help for his problems assumed to be naughty and lazy. At last he is getting some help but its been a struggle. Its been terrible seeing this very bright, very articulate young man struggling.

colournanny Mon 01-Aug-22 14:14:32

We are lucky to have such an early diagnosis for him.