Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Help, how do I stop crying when DGK emigrate next week.

(39 Posts)
Suieww Thu 01-Dec-22 12:48:26

My DD SIL and 2 beautiful grandkids emigrate next week. It's been incredibly hard knowing they are going and saying goodbye is going be even harder. I don't want their last memories of me to be a blubbering mess. Just need to keep the lid on it until they are out of sight and then I can sob my heart out. I would be so grateful if anyone out there has any tips.

V3ra Thu 02-Mar-23 12:03:40

Nannysuelion how would your husband cope if you were in hospital, or no longer around for whatever reason?
I'd suggest this is a good opportunity to prompt you to look into some support options for him anyway.

NannySuelion Thu 02-Mar-23 11:40:16

Hi
I’m finding it hard to cope, son travelled, met his now Aussie Wife and has been 10 years now living in Oz. Granddaughter arrived, 3 in July, they made in over last year after pandemic rules. Christmas found out another little one on way due Aug.
I am a carer to my profoundly deaf husband, who won’t go to Oz (flight). My son has asked me to be part of new babies arrival in Aug. How do I go on my own and leave husband who cannot hear anything without aids!
After FaceTimes I always cry and since hearing the news of new baby have cried more and more!
Anyone else in the same situation?

PamelaJ1 Sat 31-Dec-22 14:13:25

Glad it went as well as it did.
It’s always hard. We are off in a couple of weeks to visit our DD and family in Sydney.
So looking forward to getting there, NOT the travelling but the arriving.
Then I will be goodbye again a few weeks later.
It’s always hard but doesn’t last long.

Callistemon21 Sat 31-Dec-22 13:29:02

That would be a good idea, Kalu!

I sometimes wonder if they have and we don't know? 😁

Kalu Thu 29-Dec-22 23:47:17

So pleased to hear you sounding so much lighter than you ever imagined you could be Suei. Time flies by so quickly and before you know it there will be cuddles and tears when they meet you at the airport. It’s a terrific feeling.

Oh, I do feel for you Calli this is the hard part. I often wonder if our girls should meet up in their part of Aus., one thing they
would have in common being their Mums are Gnetters. 😂

Chardy Thu 29-Dec-22 22:25:09

A friend of mine in her 70s is currently in Aus visiting her pre-school grandchildren. This time she's staying a couple of months (a little longer than her usual 6 weeks).
I think she said she rents somewhere nearby for part of the time, so they can come to her or even sleepover.

Sammz21 Thu 29-Dec-22 20:19:30

Hi Suieww,
I just though I'd add my thoughts from a different perspective.
I moved to NZ with my 2 daughters 17 years ago.
My mum visited most years for a month/6 weeks at a time
and the girls got to know her really well and enjoyed her visits.
So, embrace the opportunity would be my advice x

Callistemon21 Thu 29-Dec-22 19:49:37

Suieww

Oh Callistamon, my heart goes out to you. Really there are no words are there. Just sending you a big fat hug. Xxx

And you, Suiww

First tip - Start planning your trip 🙂

Suieww Thu 29-Dec-22 19:11:37

Oh Callistamon, my heart goes out to you. Really there are no words are there. Just sending you a big fat hug. Xxx

Callistemon21 Thu 29-Dec-22 17:10:46

Suieww

However, I shall be a blubbering mess this weekend when we take DD back to the airport.
In fact, reading this thread has started me off already.

Remember - It's Au Revoir, not goodbye.

Suieww Thu 29-Dec-22 16:49:48

Well my lovely Gransnet friends, thank you all for your messages. DD found a beautiful house to rent 1 week before then went and a job 3 weeks before they went in mid December. Nothing like leaving it until the last moment is there. I think i did my reacting before they went having had 2 years to get my head around it. Now they are there I feel fine. like a few of you said 'look forward to a holiday there' I didn't want to do that before but now we are planning to visit in 2023. Never in a month of Sundays did I expect to turn my emotions round so very quickly and want to do that very long trip to Australia, but I realise how lovely it is having something to look forward too, I love planning trips, I'm researching flights and DD is going to find us a place to rent by the beach. If you felt as desperate as I did, don't give up. You have all inspired me with your messages. So thank you once again. Happy Grannying and calm 2023.

Philippa60 Thu 29-Dec-22 15:41:09

Smileless 2012, our DS and family are moving to Perth WA too!

MarySa Wed 28-Dec-22 16:30:15

I feel for you. I have a son in NZ. He has been there for about 20 years. He doesn't have children. I miss him very much but it does get easier.

rockgran Sun 18-Dec-22 15:04:51

Well done, have a peaceful Merry Christmas. x

Smileless2012 Sat 17-Dec-22 19:25:33

Well done Suieww, you've done the really hard bit so I hope you'll be able to enjoy Christmas.

We had a message from our DS in Perth, Aus. Mr. S. sent him a picture of the snow and he replied saying how much he misses snow, our Christmas decs and my Christmas dinner.

Suieww Sat 17-Dec-22 19:21:42

Bevispl…,yes they have moved to nearly the furthest they could go….. Australia. Which is doubly difficult as it’s 10.5 hours ahead so chatting is hard as we are in bed or they are. Mornings are fine at the moment as no school or work. But hey ho it is what is. 24 hrs from airport to airport is a long long time for us in our 70’s. But sure we will visit next year. Many thanks everyone yet again cxx

bevisp1 Sat 17-Dec-22 17:30:51

Just over 2 yrs ago my oldest son emigrated to Canada from the UK to be with his Canadian girlfriend (this is her homeland so all her family here too), this was all in the middle of Covid & lockdown. Yes I was in pieces after he went, the lockdowns made me much worse because I couldn’t see an end & thinking that I would ever see him again. We did get to Canada in September this year to their wedding, I’m hoping to go myself mid 2023 and both me & DH for next Christmas. I am really sure & in time you will be ok, it is like grief/bereavement, it is a loss in one way. I imagine it’s worse as you have lovely grandchildren too, but looking to the future hopefully you will be able to visit, & for them to come home to visit you. Although you didn’t say where they have emigrated too, please don’t say Australia..I am much better since having been to Canada & the wedding, for me it’s no longer a loss but am very hopeful for my future with him included. Of course we what’s app & FaceTime regularly, which helps, I also know that I am going to really feel it when children come along. Then I’ll be posting on gransnet how do I cope, but until then I am in a positive place. It will ok to grieve for this, hope you have partner/family nearby to help you. Fill up any free time you have, to keep occupied will help… good luck

Fleurpepper Sat 17-Dec-22 16:55:39

Suieww

Just wanted to thank everyone who posted on here. So they have gone off to pastures new and guess what?
We have survived and are doing OK. It was really hard saying goodbye and as you said they would be too, even SiL, which surprised me.
So my message to everyone on Gransnet is... keep posting, who ever reads your response will hopefully get some help/comfort in something that is often hard to handle. Even just a few kind words can mean so much.
So thank you for your help, suggestions and kindness.
Enjoy the Silly Season, we will be 4 less round our table, but we will raise a glass to the them.
Hope you all have a great Christmas too

Well done you- so so hard to do.

I had a great niece visit last week, and we were talking aobut the days her great grand-dad emigrated to the USA in the late 19C. And my OH's grand-father, about the same time, to Africa. When emigrating meant you were very likely never to see your family, or your homeland, ever again. And when news took 6 weeks to arrive- and the letter, saying all was well and good, represented the past, and not the reality of the day.

Have they emigrated to the other side of the world or Europe? These days, instant news, FaceTime- and cheap and easy flights. Of course, USA is quite close these days, and easy to reach. OZ and NZ, not quite so, but still doable.

Well done you and enjoy Christmas with the rest of family, planning your trip over.

silverlining48 Sat 17-Dec-22 16:44:38

Hope you have a happy christmas suieww. Am glad you are feeling better than you thought you would.
All good wishes and a hug. I do understand, it’s hard I know, well done.

Suieww Sat 17-Dec-22 16:36:53

Just wanted to thank everyone who posted on here. So they have gone off to pastures new and guess what?
We have survived and are doing OK. It was really hard saying goodbye and as you said they would be too, even SiL, which surprised me.
So my message to everyone on Gransnet is... keep posting, who ever reads your response will hopefully get some help/comfort in something that is often hard to handle. Even just a few kind words can mean so much.
So thank you for your help, suggestions and kindness.
Enjoy the Silly Season, we will be 4 less round our table, but we will raise a glass to the them.
Hope you all have a great Christmas too

Suieww Fri 02-Dec-22 21:52:34

Thanks everyone, good to know I'm not alone. it can only get easier. x

rockgran Fri 02-Dec-22 20:30:38

Our grandsons were quite small so we all kept up a lighthearted atmosphere at our last meal as no one wanted to worry them. It was almost a relief when they left! I did my crying in private later - but we all got over it. You will too. You are stronger than you think.

Suieww Fri 02-Dec-22 19:37:37

Ooooh plane tracker, that sounds a great idea, Many thanks NotSpagetti

Suieww Fri 02-Dec-22 19:35:42

Thank you Kalu, I haven't planned on going to the airport, far too stressful. They are also going to Australia, its just such a long way. I'm so sorry to hear about your husband, but glad to hear he is recovering and of course such joy that your family are returning. Its the DGC we will miss at 8 and 11, they are our joy. I have the same mantra.

Kalu Fri 02-Dec-22 18:09:49

I couldn’t hold it together when we dropped DD2 and SiL off at the airport. They were off to start a new life in Australia. That was 10,yrs ago. They have returned for a holiday every summer. FaceTime and Skype have been a godsend allowing us to still be a close part of each other’s lives. Just this afternoon I FaceTimed DD and we both had a walk through our local small shopping mall admiring the Christmas lights and window shopping in the area she grew up in.

As DH was diagnosed with cancer this summer, thankfully all removed and recovering well, DD returned home for 3 months to be with us. During this time she realised how much she really was missing home and family and to our great joy, they are planning to return home to Scotland next summer. I never in my wildest dreams allowed myself think this would be a possibility but, none of us know what the future holds. Although I missed her so, so much, I kept up my mantra, as long as she is healthy and happy was what really mattered.

Having been there, I do feel for what you will go through next week. 💐