Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Separation anxiety

(3 Posts)
Suegreen Fri 03-Feb-23 17:29:32

We look after our four year old grandson three days a week and have never had any problems. We recently also began looking after his 8 month old little brother one day a week, to be increased to three days when mum goes back to work. A gorgeous little boy, who we see on a regular basis, but who has quite distressing separation anxiety and seems to cry for hours. What can we do to help him and help us to cope.

Forlornhope Fri 03-Feb-23 18:14:00

I don’t think I can offer any infallible solutions but just wanted to sympathise. We are hard wired to soothe a distressed baby and it’s upsetting when nothing seems to work. My little great nephew used to clutch his Mum’ slippers for hours after she went out the door. I think this went on for a week or so and now he’s used to his childcare arrangements.

toscalily Fri 03-Feb-23 18:35:07

Do you take the baby out or only look after him and his brother indoors? Depending on what time they are dropped off if the weather is reasonable perhaps you could take them out, soon after arriving. Little ones of that age often enjoy watching the world from their pushchairs and it can act as a good distraction and he might associate it more with enjoyment rather than being abandoned by mummy/daddy. By the time you get home again hopefully he would be happier.