Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Toddler bed for 10 month old

(30 Posts)
JaydeeTas Sat 04-Feb-23 06:02:41

Hi all,

My DIL has let me know they are moving my GS into a toddler bed. He is currently 10 months old

They have a plan for bed rails so it's not the falling out of bed that really concerns me.. I am more worried about furniture that he could pull onto himself such shelving that has his teddy bears.
What do I do??? I'm scared to do nothing. They haven't got anything bolted to the wall..

Nannashirlz Wed 17-May-23 11:49:10

Do you know how low these beds are they are practically on the floor I had one for my granddaughter when she was little and sleeping at my house we had big floor cushions down until we found she didn’t need.

paddyann54 Tue 25-Apr-23 10:42:14

Mine went into ordinary single beds as soon as they could climb out of their cots ,never had any problems with beds ,My daughter didn't sleep through the night until she started school but if she woke she stayed in bed and looked through books ,we never had them in our bed .
We didn't have stair gates either on the advice of my lovely GP who was mother of 4 teenagers then .
She said " when will you feel safe to take a gate away ,when she's 4 or 5? Surely better just to teach her to go down stairs on her bottom and climb them holding onto the rail"

She was absolutely right ,my first GC was great with stairs until he discovered it was more fun sliding down on his front ,we put a wee crash helmet on him...lol.He was 20 last week .
I have said on here before that I am a very chilled person so that probably helped .

Caramme Tue 25-Apr-23 09:32:56

My son was in a bed at 10 months, he was walking and had already managed to clamber out of his cot and into his sister’s room. We made the bed like an apple pie bed so he couldn’t slip down too far and laid pillows on the floor beside him. We made sure the stairs were protected by a high safety gate. We also put his bed in my daughter’s room. She is 18 months older than him and never slept through the night. From that moment on they both slept through, in their own beds and my ex and I both got the first full night’s rest in more than two years.

BlueBelle Tue 25-Apr-23 07:34:49

No Jennifereccles depends on the baby much safer to have them in a little bed than climbing and falling
My son was up and walking just after 8 months and was a climber I had a least three of my grandkids who used to escape the cots I m sure this mum knows her child

DillytheGardener Tue 25-Apr-23 06:01:31

One of mine fell out of his cot and was concussed. I think the mattress on the floor/toddler bed is much safer IMO.

NotSpaghetti Tue 25-Apr-23 00:07:50

^ a ten month old baby should still be in a cot shouldn’t he^...
Why Jennifer?

And plenty of babies are toddlers at 10 months annodomini - all my 5 were "toddling" at 10 months. They were slower maybe with other things but all walking exclusively by then.

Hetty58 Mon 24-Apr-23 21:15:45

Once, we couldn't find the baby in the morning. We searched high and low, turned out all the upstairs cupboards, quizzed the other kids, called him - nothing. I was crying, trying to work out where he'd crawled off to. Eventually, we saw him, sleeping peacefully beside the mattress where the top sheet was tucked in!

Hetty58 Mon 24-Apr-23 21:06:10

I just wish my four had actually slept in their own room/bed/cot - or whatever - and not in ours! We always used the stairgates and window locks, though!

In hindsight, little mattresses on the floor would have been far cheaper than cots/cot-beds/beds/bunk beds - all hardly used. A king sized bed for us would have been great!

jeanie99 Mon 24-Apr-23 20:54:07

Our son was in a single bed by the time he was 12 months old.
At a very young age he started climbing out of his cot and came down stairs with a big smile on his face.
We decided to fasten the door so he couldn't get out, we had a few nights of crying but that soon stopped and he just went back to bed and slept.
Two chairs were put up to the bed but we never had any accidents.

JaydeeTas Sat 11-Feb-23 03:35:29

Update
Had a great chat with my DIL and showed her a floor bed option within an enclosure.. This is for my home.
My DIL loved it and I have ordered 2!

I’m so relieved my DIL allows me to be so involved.

Quokka Tue 07-Feb-23 14:45:57

Say nothing.

1summer Tue 07-Feb-23 14:23:31

My granddaughter is almost 3 and still in her cot, I think she should be in a bed but it’s absolutely nothing to do with me. Except I have a cot at my house for when she stays its in the spare room and I would like to get rid of it to make more room.

JenniferEccles Tue 07-Feb-23 14:05:00

I can see why you are concerned as a ten month old baby should still be in a cot shouldn’t he? Mine certainly all were. Surely it’s better all round to keep babies in cots for as long as possible?

If you have a good relationship with your daughter in law, couldn’t you gently express your concerns, especially regarding the unsecured furniture?

I wouldn’t mind betting though he’ll be back in that cot once they’ve had a few nights of him escaping!

JaydeeTas Sun 05-Feb-23 12:48:18

Thank you.. I don't know why I am so protective of him..

My DIL wants to just get rid of the cot and set him up in a bed. In hindsight, its not so bad.

I'll leave it to them to work it out smile

VioletSky Sat 04-Feb-23 20:05:22

I'd honestly stay out of it, if they show you the room at any point, you could say, do these need securing to the wall if there is something in there that does need it...

But you are prejudicing right now, you haven't seen the new set up

Jaylou Sat 04-Feb-23 19:55:37

I used to foster and had a young toddler, social workers actually advised to take mattress out of cot and put it on the floor, so they got used to "freedom". I was surprised, it felt wrong, but worked.

Forsythia Sat 04-Feb-23 13:18:49

My daughter had a cot with a shelf above full of soft toys. Every morning, without fail, all toys were on the floor but the shelf stayed firmly fixed.

62Granny Sat 04-Feb-23 13:14:51

A lot of toddler beds are like cots but bigger they have proper cot sides that can be removed at a later stage when they are more able to get in and out of bed independently.

Norah Sat 04-Feb-23 12:53:31

Their child, their choices to beds and shelving.

Hithere Sat 04-Feb-23 12:42:59

You do nothing

annodomini Sat 04-Feb-23 12:18:21

My DGGD is in a convertible cot. The base can be lowered as she becomes increasingly able to pull herself up and climb over the top. As she is now 8 months, the base is about to be lowered to a safer level. Ultimately, it will morph into a toddler bed, but not until she is a toddler. Few children are toddlers at 10 months.

Sparklefizz Sat 04-Feb-23 11:27:02

Are the parents moving him into the toddler bed because they need the cot for another baby?

Kalu Sat 04-Feb-23 10:59:43

Trusting the shelving is secure, pulling his teddy bears off it will be a fun pastime. I really don’t see any danger there.

Moving him into a toddler bed tells me his parents are making his safety a priority.

Try not to overthink of things that may or may not happen. Don’t undermine your DiL whatever you do, she is a new mum finding her way just as you once did. Support her and you will have a good relationship with your grandsons mum.

LOUISA1523 Sat 04-Feb-23 10:42:44

I'm sure his parents have considered any risk .....I wouldn't be interferring if I was you

Whitewavemark2 Sat 04-Feb-23 10:18:17

You know as grandparents I think we get more risk adverse as we age.

I can remember being utterly horrified at. My 9 year old grandson being high up in a tree he’d climbed, but stayed Schtum.

Then remembered my childhood of tree climbing, firefighting and cooking etc all without adult supervision.

Trust the parents - sometimes they know best.