I agree.
I thought it was just me thinking it, so I'm glad you posted it
Favourite small town or village
Plants that make you feel happy!
Burnham - rejoin Europe in one shape or form?
I'm in exactly the same position as the gran that posted yesterday - empty nest grandparents - and didn't want to hijack that thread.
I want to do something special with my GC to mark our last full day together before starting school soon but not sure what. Any suggestions please? I expect whatever we do will soon be a distant memory for her but even so...
I agree.
I thought it was just me thinking it, so I'm glad you posted it
I think having a picnic in the park and inviting other children is still making a big deal out of it. Have you done that sort of thing before? I had my only GC every Friday from when she was a baby until she started school, I missed her a lot.I certainly didn't make a big deal about the last full day of minding her. Why would you? She's not going to the other side of the world, she's going to school!
Just ask your granddaughter what has been her favourite thing to do when she has been with you. Then ask her if that's what she wants to do on your last day of the present routine. Or alternatively, is there anything else she wants to try together for the first time.
So many options depending on the child as well.
1) Cinema or Theatre
2) The Zoo
3) A Disney or Warner Brother´s Type Park
4) An Icecream Parlor / A Dessert Boutique
5) Depends on the budget / the weather / buying new school supplies for September 2026 /
6) Zara for Kids: new jeans
Enjoy and all our best wishes ..
Ask her what she’d like to do and do that - even if it’s not your favourite thing. Unless she’s not sure so then, yes, choose something you want to do.
21glammagran
Won’t you have your GC at all during school holidays, Clickety Click?
I will but School holiday childcare has not been sorted out yet. If I'm honest, I think how our last full day together is spent before school starts is more about the memory making for me. Oh course I have lots of stored happy memories of all my GC but it's hit me harder this time round as this is the last GC I'll have looked after from when their mums each returned to work to each GC starting school so my GC caring days are all but over. Doing the school runs won't be the same but it's the start of her next exciting chapter and life moves on. Maybe I need to find some other way to keep me busy. Thank you again for all your replies.
From their early years, each school holiday I have taken my grandchildren individually to the mall. First we go into Waterstones to choose a book, then we take it to a cafe for a drink and cake and then I give them a set amount of money and we go into any and every shop they fancy for them to spend it. It's rather more expensive now they are teenagers, and the girls are at the stage where we spend a lot of time examining make up, but I never rush them. Even the very quiet one chats away as she doesn't have to compete for my attention. Thoroughly recommend it (and they will never know that looking at make up is definitely not my favourite thing to do!)
monami I feel sorry for you. I love my Gran and often think of her and the fun we had together. Grandchildren don't forget
Won’t you have your GC at all during school holidays, Clickety Click?
My granddaughter loves baking and crafts. I save up cardboard boxes, egg containers, ribbons and other stuff and she could spend hours creating and making.
Do what you normally do.They like routine and doing activities with you that you both love will be sufficient.
We pulled together a scrapbook of photos, pictures that our lovely gs had drawn for us, brochures and tickets (rummage through handbags and rucksacks). We interspersed it with poems, memories and song lyrics we'd enjoyed together. At our grandson's request, the scrapbook lives in 'his' bedroom here at our house, as we still have him to stay for a week or two in school holidays. He loves looking through the scrapbook with us - he's eight now.
My children and now the grandchildren loved going out and buying new pencil cases etc just before returning to school.I of course had the same tatty one from 4 to 16!
dont knock yourself out, trust me , you will be a distant memory once shes a teenager
Whatever you do, maybe take a few good photos to keep and share, possibly with a banner or card saying something positive like 'Starting school tomorrow' which can mark the last day.
'
How about a teddy bears picnic? I used to live when my mum did these with me? Sandwiches cut in teddy bear shapes, pom bears, teddy bear ham and cheese, cucumber etc cut with a mini bear shaped cutter. You could paint her face and have her don a pair of furry ears, and play the teddy bears picnic song.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Good advice as always and, no, I won't make a big fuss of the day. I'd love to do a seaside trip but it's too far for a day trip. I like the idea of a picnic so hopefully I can arrange one in the local park with her friends and invite those little ones that I know will be in her class.
Just enjoy the day! Do whatever makes your GC happy.
Yes don’t make a fuss about it being your last time because it won’t be as you’ll surely be having her after school and in the holidays but still do something special which will make memories for both of you. As to what, it all depends on what she enjoys doing and how much you are prepared to fork out. If you want to stay in how about making something together such as models or paintings that you can keep as mementos, my DGD loves making miniature gardens. If you want to go out, look for somewhere she’s never been before and spend the day. Lots of things ranging from a new museum or National Trust with child activities, theme parks or a boat trip with a picnic. Look at local tourist information.
I hope you have a lovely day and, of course take lots of photos 🤳🥰
Yes I don’t think a big fuss would be as memorable as doing the child’s favourite activity
Just for yourself!
Making a big fuss of a 'last time' might be stressful for the youngster. There's security in familiarity at a time of major change in their little lives. Do favourite activities, you'll know what they like best. Take a few pics too? Just got yourself?
My GD loved going to the local M&S cafe and having the same lunch each time, followed by pushing the trolley around the store. We did that for about two years and we did exactly the same on our last day of childcare. 😍
when my grandson came to us after nursery, it was always baking he loved ,especially icing,,,every colour under the sun.now he's a teenager ..and still bakes. they grow up so fast..
enjoy your day with your GC clicketyclick.
A mini party or a picnic. You could do some, all or none of the following:-
Make decorations for the house or have a picnic
Make party or picnic food together
Both dress up
Dance and sing together
Take photos
Or just go out somewhere special and eat out
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.