Gransnet forums

Grandparenting

Not wanting to pick up 10 month old granddaughter

(7 Posts)
fluttERBY123 Sat 10-Oct-26 21:36:02

They should respect how you are. It's not as if you ignored the baby. As you say you interacted in your own way.

Macaydia Sat 10-Oct-26 21:34:15

I completely relate to you. I have no interest in picking up other people's children. The maternal bond is just not there. I dont understand the logic. I am happy to see them bond with their mother and help when I can but i dont crave a "baby fix" like other grans. Different brain chemistry, I suppose.

Fallingstar Sat 10-Oct-26 21:34:13

Just to say, you have named your GD, not always wise if someone who knows your family could potentially read it.

kircubbin2000 Sat 10-Oct-26 21:30:55

I never had any interest in babies or dogs.I found looking after the grandchildren very stressful and was always worried something would happen to them Thank goodness the one time he had an accident other grandad was on call and took charge.

Cabbie21 Sat 10-Oct-26 21:10:27

I wouldn’t worry too much. On Mumsnet you see mums complaining about relatives playing “ pass the parcel” with their babies.

Plevey08 Sat 10-Oct-26 20:30:04

Well I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. Some people just don't like the baby stage but grow to enjoy them as the get a little older.
I find babies absolutely yummy...so we're all different. Maybe be honest and explain how you feel. Keep the contact going and you will probably find a way for the bonding to grow.

MarilynB Sat 10-Oct-26 19:16:08

I don't live close to my son and wife. I've never been a baby person except for my own two sons, of course. While visiting, his mother-in law who lives with them kept wanting me to pick Chloe up and I just didn't want to. I interacted with her in other ways, but not that. My daughter-in-law is estranged with my son now and sent me a text saying I never touched Chloe the whole time--not true. But what's wrong with me--is there something wrong with me? I feel so awful about this. I just didn't want to hold her, thinking she would squirm. I am not a baby person--except for my own babies. Still I feel guilty and as if I am lacking.