Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Welcome to new members

(944 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 16-Sep-15 14:24:57

If you're new to Gransnet please do make yourself a brew and come introduce yourself on this thread. Hope you enjoy chatting in the forums and that you find it useful, informative, supportive and entertaining. smile

Curly63 Tue 16-Jan-18 16:42:08

Thank you for your welcome. I know what you mean there are some very good threads going on ?

shysal Tue 16-Jan-18 07:28:59

Hello, Curly63, welcome flowers. I am sure you will enjoy the site, but be warned, it can be addictive! I waste spend far too many hours reading the threads.

Curly63 Mon 15-Jan-18 20:59:49

Hi Everyone. Looking forward to enjoying all gransnet has to offer.

shysal Mon 15-Jan-18 08:57:06

Welcome to the latest newbies. flowers

cheefullizzy, what an awful time you are having. Having been there and got the T-shirt I would advise seeing a solicitor to find out where you stand, and securing your finances before making any decisions about your future. You may not be able to trust your husband even if you think him honourable.
Might I suggest that you start a new thread under perhaps 'Relationships' as this one gets little attention? You will then find plenty of advice and sympathy.
I hope you will resolve matters one way or the other. flowers

GabriellaG Mon 15-Jan-18 03:23:30

I'm nanny G and my oppos are nanny whatever THEIR name or nickname is.

cheerfullizzy Sun 14-Jan-18 21:04:18

Hello ladies, im feeling dreadfully unhappy & would welcome your opinions... im 56 & have been married for 37 years.. have a wonderful daughter, son, daughter in law & little granddaughter, this week I walked away from my family home after an episode of my husbands insulting hateful comments, he has often been controlling however, we ran a business for many years, he was always the'man of the house' and I just got on with it as loved my family deeply, on new years day I lovingly cooked a family meal & it was a super happy day, after everyone left, my husband became abusive in tone, insulted the meal,.. ran me down.. ran my daughter in law down...& was downright nasty to say the least.. he has ignored me since... sat with his back to me, & made me feel like an outcast so I walked out & am staying at my dear dads house(87) who ive looked after since mum passed away 7 years ago. I feel gutted at my husbands attitude, we spoke today & I explained how nasty he had been & that I wasnt ready to go home just yet, as he has quite an explosive temper. He has this evening text me to say he will put the house up for sale, move near my son & daughter & paint a pretty poor image of me etc... I feel rock bottom & just dont know what to do.. go home & carry on.. keep quiet as my daughter is soon to be engaged & daughter in law expecting baby in april.. or consider separation as his controlling behaviour, temper has taken its toll on my confidence & has pretty much shattered me..

MrsAllboys Thu 15-Jun-17 19:59:35

Thankyou shysal for your words of welcome. Yes, interested though I may be I wouldn't dare post on the political threads! But hope to venture out on others. I have found lots of extremely useful information and also lots of hilarity. So it's just a question of plucking up the courage.smile

shysal Wed 14-Jun-17 08:40:08

Hello and welcome MrsAllboys flowers. Five of my six grandchildren are boys. I hope that now you have broken the ice you will enjoy all that GN has to offer. If you are like me you might prefer to ignore the political threads unless you have a thick skin smile!

MrsAllboys Tue 13-Jun-17 15:02:35

Hello to anyone who may read this. I am a new member and this is my first post, to introduce myself, although I have been lurking for ages. I have two grown up sons and four grandchildren...guess their gender ! I'm just saying a hi to all at the moment but hope to contribute with a little more confidence later.

Sixtysomethinggran Sun 23-Apr-17 16:32:32

Thanks for your input.I will try doing it that way if I can work it out!! Bit of a dinosaur!!

shysal Sun 23-Apr-17 14:53:46

Hello and welcome to GN, Sixtysomethinggran flowers. Do you mind if I make a suggestion? This welcome thread attracts very few readers, so to get the benefit of the wonderful GN wisdom it might be best to start a new thread under a relevant heading. Your type of problem is unfortunately not uncommon. There will be plenty of grans who will identify with your story. I expect you have to tread very carefully to avoid all contact with the boys being denied, and any intervention on your part might not be welcome. You may have to wait until the boys are old enough to make their own choices. I hope the situation improves in the near future.

Sixtysomethinggran Sun 23-Apr-17 13:10:14

Just joined today. I have a problem with my DIL. My son does not see the two boys and I have tried to support them. Meetings with the rest of my family have been scarce because of problems with my son and historical stuff. DIL has always tried to do the right thing by letting the family see the boys for gatherings but grudgingly. She says that my daughters never saw the boys when they were growing up so why see them now? - true to a certain extent. She is now very anti them and has said she does not want to be at family gatherings although she will bring the boys if someone will take them home. The boys are 9 and 11. This has caused a lot of bad feeling and I seem to be in the middle of it trying to just do what I can for the boys. I cannot control how everyone else behaves. DIL and I have had a strained relationship since all this happened. I want to put it right as far as I am concerned. Any ideas anybody?

Karanlouise Thu 20-Apr-17 17:03:29

Hello and welcome Magicnonna, hope you enjoy gransnet. Sure you will get the hang of it soon but you can always ask for help if you need it. Have a lovely evening. smile

GrannyA11i Thu 20-Apr-17 14:47:13

Just a reminder to any Liverpool and Wirral Gransnetters - we are having our first meet up on 4th May at Port Sunlight Garden Centre. All welcome!

Magicnonna Thu 20-Apr-17 14:09:58

Thanks all,
This site is full of interesting things looking forward to being a part of it

shysal Wed 19-Apr-17 16:45:45

Welcome, Magicnonna flowers. If I can master Gransnet anyone can! Good luck!

grannypiper Wed 19-Apr-17 16:17:39

Hello Magicnonna We are not complicated at all grin. We are all lovely (most of the time* flowers

Magicnonna Wed 19-Apr-17 15:45:19

Hello all
Just joined!
Looks a bit complicated, but I'm sure in time it'll gel lol

Karanlouise Sat 15-Apr-17 20:49:58

Hello BoppityBoo welcome to gransnet, I hope you enjoy it. smile

shysal Fri 14-Apr-17 05:19:39

Hello and welcome, BoppityBoo.flowers Enjoy!

BoppityBoo Fri 14-Apr-17 02:24:27

Hello! I am new and already like what I see!

BoppityBoo Thu 13-Apr-17 17:09:05

Hello, new here. Is this where I start my thread?

Karanlouise Tue 11-Apr-17 13:12:48

Welcome Sarahlou and oldcroc17 i hope you both enjoy gransnet and the sunshine.

Saralou18 Mon 10-Apr-17 09:50:07

Thank you shysal

shysal Sun 09-Apr-17 16:11:51

Welcome Saralou18 flowers. Now that you have taken the plunge, I hope you will have fun. I am certainly enjoying the sunshine, so are my 2 cats!