Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Politics of the day

(24 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Fri 03-Feb-17 18:49:07

I think Ankers was thinking of an anything goes ( polite of course) current affairs type chat.
People seem happy to post and have a chat. smile

MawBroon Fri 03-Feb-17 17:41:27

Why was it necessary to start two politics threads in the GRANSNET café, not counting another thread on Globalism/Globalisation, Ankers?
It's quality not quantity that counts, you know.
Especially as we also have an active *Politics" forum .
Just confusing confused

Not sure if one a day or whatever is needed or necessary.
But thought I would do it today
I am aware that some posters dont like trawling through large threads, not that yesterday's was especially large.

My thought today, political journalists must be scrambling to keep up with all that is happening lately, though they appear to be doing a good job with it all?

And surely a thread is "long" not "large" by definition? confused

fiorentina51 Fri 03-Feb-17 17:20:07

edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/02/02/arnold-schwarzenegger-responds-donald-trump-apprentice.cnn

I'm not a fan of old Arnie but I do like his reply. ?

Ankers Fri 03-Feb-17 17:12:41

No, but I have read about it.

DT doesnt bother to act presidential in public. If he is able to, he needs to wise up.

Rinouchka Fri 03-Feb-17 17:04:51

Last night, there was a snippet on the news of Trump denigrating Arnold Schwarzeneggar(sp?) who has taken over from him on The Apprentice. A.S. replied in kind with a clip in which he suggested that DT take back his Apprentice hosting role and AS takes on his current role!

DT does not like humour when it is at his cost! Never particularly liked Arnold but we thought his clip, and the twinkle in his eye, were spot on.

Did anyone else see this?

Alima Thu 02-Feb-17 16:36:59

I think this is a valid place to have a chat about politics and current affairs. I really miss being able to have a natter about what is going on in the world without feeling I have to provide links/data to back up what I say. Years ago I worked in an office where we always spoke about what was going on in the world. The next job was very different, all the chat was anything but. Could take me time to get into the swing of this!

Ana Thu 02-Feb-17 16:28:03

I think Ankers meant this thread to be about politics but without the seemingly inevitable bickering and point-scoring that happens on most of the others!

ninathenana Thu 02-Feb-17 14:36:23

Me too kitty.
What's wrong with starting a new thread in the politics forum ?
Not that I'm trying to dictate where anyone can start a thread before anyone has a go.

Ankers Thu 02-Feb-17 14:31:02

The one you linked to seems to be one of the official supporters of the Jo Cox Commission on loneliness which was launched two days ago.
news.sky.com/story/jo-coxs-commission-on-loneliness-to-be-launched-10749546

Not sure if you are right or wrong NanaandGrampy wink!

I do think though that good on Gransnet for helping.

NanaandGrampy Thu 02-Feb-17 13:51:25

www.campaigntoendloneliness.org/about-loneliness/

This may help Ankers I was encouraged to go and look .

I had a brief read through and worthy though the 'cause' is I'm not convinced right now that lonliness can actually be alleviated by a campaign. I'm happy to be proved wrong of course smile

Ankers Thu 02-Feb-17 13:36:47

And I should have added that the views are still important.

Even if we know we dont know everything.

Ankers Thu 02-Feb-17 13:35:12

I think a lot of us lack knowledge tanith. And also we dont have all the time in the world, for whatever reason, to read up on everything we would like to read up on.
But I think participation in politics is still important.

Ankers Thu 02-Feb-17 13:33:08

I havent N@g. I think I was aware that some friends were doing something in her memory, or carrying on with something she had already started, and was very interested in.

NanaandGrampy Thu 02-Feb-17 13:29:14

Has anyone seen any details about the Lonliness Commission thing? I'd be interested to read more about it if anyone has any links.

tanith Thu 02-Feb-17 13:17:24

I have friends in the US who actually either didn't vote or voted for Hilary still insisting that he be given time to show what he can do as he is the elected President and they have to give him a chance. I am at a loss to understand them.

I don't claim to be nearly as knowledgeable as most on GN but I do like to participate even with my limited knowledge and understanding. I have avoided much involvement on some of the political threads as I felt I lacked enough knowledge.

Badenkate Thu 02-Feb-17 12:53:46

My thought about Trump was that we know how devisive the Brexit vote has been here but it is clear that, for whatever reason, more people voted to leave than to stay. However in the States, it is also clear that more people voted AGAINST Trump than for him, so how divided is America now and what hope is there that they will unite any time in the foreseeable future?

M0nica Thu 02-Feb-17 12:28:46

Seems to me the place I should be. My subject is President Trump.

There have been many demonstrations against him peopled by all the right pc celebs etc that he despises and it occurred to me that as far as he is concerned he must be revelling in them, they support his contention that these liberal media/political bubble people demonstrating just proves what a populist he is.

However, what he would really really hate, as he has shown on occasion, is people laughing at him and making him the butt of jokes, so surely the best way to demonstrate against him is to show him as a fun figure.

Arrange carnivals around him with placards showing him as a clown or dressed as a baby in an oversized nappy, he is just the right shape. Comedians could do special shows that are nothing but Trump and his associate jokes with the tickets sold and the proceeds given to a good cause he really hates.

Firecracker123 Thu 02-Feb-17 12:22:13

I agree Ankers a very good idea and a nice tribute to Jo Cox. I am myself not lonely but I have felt lonely in the past and who knows what the future has in store for any of us.

Ankers Thu 02-Feb-17 11:56:37

This may be a good time to say that the Jo Cox Commission on Loneliness seems like a very good idea.

And well done to those who set it up, who did it in the worst of circumstances. flowers

Firecracker123 Thu 02-Feb-17 11:52:55

Yes it would be lovely to talk about current affairs without feeling you need a degree to post.

kittylester Thu 02-Feb-17 11:52:35

I thought the cafe was for peaceful chat!confused

rosesarered Thu 02-Feb-17 11:45:46

If other posters like the cafe idea then fine Ankers but it looks as if you have given up already on the political threads ( a bit early) which would be a shame.I may drop in from time to time if it takes off though, and the other threads go back to the usual bitching.We shall see. brew

Ankers Thu 02-Feb-17 11:35:52

Oh, forgot to offer coffee!

Ankers Thu 02-Feb-17 11:33:09

Anyone want to talk politics today, while being civil

Trump, May, Corbyn, Farage etc.

I dont think it will matter too much if posts dont necessarily follow on from each other?

Personally, I didnt realise until last night that Farage was still at the EU.

I dont know why, but for some reason, I thought he had left it.