Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

My little grandson calls it an...

(15 Posts)
Crumble Thu 02-Feb-17 15:18:54

efelant (an elephant). His father used to say the same grin. Anyone else get a little sad when they start pronouncing things 'properly'?

Icyalittle Thu 02-Feb-17 15:22:17

Absolutely. My DGS eats cubunker, most of his other mispronunciations have gone. I hope he keeps that one for a while longer. He also calls sparklers 'sparkles' which I think is lovely.

gillybob Thu 02-Feb-17 15:37:53

I smile at the way my DGD gets confused with the "F" and the "Th" sounds resulting in Thingers (and Toes) and Fink, and Fought. smile

Mind you DD is 31 and still occasionally says ambliance instead of ambulance. grin

grandmags Thu 02-Feb-17 15:49:38

I always think 'ambliance' when I see an ambulance. It still makes me smile

judypark Thu 02-Feb-17 16:10:34

My small toddler granddaughter often trips over, her parents help her up usually saying "You're OK, not to worry" out with me recentlyshe tripped over and jumping to her feet she said "It's alright grandma, it was just a worry bump".

TriciaF Thu 02-Feb-17 17:23:10

Second son used to say pandadan for aeroplane, and psgetti for spaghetti.
Happy memories! (he's 53 now.)

gillybob Thu 02-Feb-17 17:27:32

Speaking of Spaghetti TriciaF My DGS calls it Buscetti.

My DS (36) couldn't say F when he was small. His children giggle when I tell them he would say "Can we go in the Teild and play Tutball" smile

ninathenana Thu 02-Feb-17 18:40:52

S had speach therapy as a toddler. One of his play date friends was called Laura he couldn't pronuounce 'L' or 'B' and would call her 'aura it stuck and she stiĺl gets called it now 20 yrs later.

M0nica Fri 03-Feb-17 06:50:11

My DS also struggled with 'spaghetti. She called it 'scetti'. Three generations later, the family still ask for Scetti Bolognaise for supper.

PoshGran Fri 03-Feb-17 10:13:07

Our family always calls level crossings "humdebums".

DS started it off, aged about three, going over the tracks in Sleaford singing humdebumdebumdebumdebum. DD picked it up in her turn & I'm hoping GS will also be initiated too.
smile

Grannybags Fri 03-Feb-17 13:30:44

My GD keeps warm by the radigrator. We all say it now!

hildajenniJ Fri 03-Feb-17 16:43:32

We still put our dirty laundry in the "washing it clean". I think we always will. This was DGD's name for the washing machine when she was about two.

grannypiper Sat 04-Feb-17 16:12:14

My DD always says" aminals" she is only 30 years old so may get it right when she grows up. p.s i have to stop and think if i am saying it properly too

grannypiper Sat 04-Feb-17 16:13:29

MOnica lol my daughter called it that too

sue1169 Mon 06-Feb-17 10:04:28

...are'nt I being good mummy?Im watching Robin Hood and John Small. haha..he's 39 now?