Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Politics in the Gransnet Cafe

(23 Posts)
Ankers Fri 03-Feb-17 08:05:32

Open.

Not sure if one a day or whatever is needed or necessary.
But thought I would do it today.
I am aware that some posters dont like trawling through large threads, not that yesterday's was especially large.

My thought today, political journalists must be scrambling to keep up with all that is happening lately, though they appear to be doing a good job with it all?

Stansgran Fri 03-Feb-17 08:50:47

With journalists in a cafe you always need to make sure the salt cellar on the table is full.

rosesarered Fri 03-Feb-17 08:58:35

grin yes, large pinches are necessary!
I wondered where the other thread had gone to Ankers
I started to watch Question Time last night, and then thought , nope, have had enoughof politics at the moment, the same old things about Trump and Brexit, I need a break from it.At least for one evening!

Ankers Fri 03-Feb-17 09:33:27

Yes. I felt exactly the same.

However anyone keeps up with ^him etc I dont know.

Anniebach Fri 03-Feb-17 09:57:10

I am sick of Trump and Brexit and hearing talk of the special relationship.

Ana Fri 03-Feb-17 10:01:19

Why did you need to start a new thread, Ankers? Couldn't you just have carried on with the one from yesterday...confused

Otherwise they're going to fill up the Café list.

Ankers Fri 03-Feb-17 10:02:58

I grew up thinking they had a special relationship.
Perhaps they did.

But now I am older, I realise that it is a complex one, with lots of layers. And dependency? Mainly on our part.

Ankers Fri 03-Feb-17 10:05:34

I could have done Ana. But as I said, a lot of people dont like too long threads to read. And I can see their point.

Plus it is more chat-like to do it this way?

And things start afresh and new every day.
Like the coffee!

MawBroon Fri 03-Feb-17 10:35:58

Which of the following is likelier
A row of unicorns ???????????????????????
Or
politics thread which is not going to get confrontational??

trisher Fri 03-Feb-17 10:50:01

My money's on the unicorns MawBroon grin

rosesarered Fri 03-Feb-17 10:52:19

Ah yes, but this cafe chat is different ,at least as it has to be non confrontational due to it's very nature....... and I'll fight any one of yous who says different! grin

MawBroon Fri 03-Feb-17 10:53:24

Non confrontationally of course, I hope rosesarered!! grin

rosesarered Fri 03-Feb-17 10:56:52

The special relationship is still there, there are a lot of ties that bind between us and the US.That doesn't mean that TMay has to be as starstruck as TBlair was to Bush though, and tbf I don't think she will be, Donald Trump is a bit like holding a tiger by the tailgrin

Badenkate Fri 03-Feb-17 11:44:29

Does anyone else cringe when they start talking about 'special relationships'? It just makes us sound so needy and toadying up to the Americans.

Badenkate Fri 03-Feb-17 12:32:29

I have just seen this and I think it is so important for us all to think about.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD8tjhVO1Tc&feature=youtu.be

grumppa Fri 03-Feb-17 13:16:31

Yes I cringe at the special relationship thing. And I cannot get my head round the idea of journalists in a cafe. In a pub maybe

whitewave Fri 03-Feb-17 13:27:55

I don't think the Americans talk of a "special relationship" it's only us. They do when we are over there but not at any other time.

Badenkate Fri 03-Feb-17 13:33:51

I think you're right whitewave, and I guess that's what makes it even more deeply embarrassing!

trisher Fri 03-Feb-17 13:33:52

Of course it's a 'Special" relationship, if they want our support for an illegal war they will be very nice to us, if we want a trade deal we have to toady up and ignore human rights abuse (oh and offer a nice bribe like a State visit). Can't get much more 'Special"

MawBroon Fri 03-Feb-17 13:36:55

"Il y a toujours un qui baise, et l'autre qui tend la joue "
In other words one who makes all the running. hmm

trisher Fri 03-Feb-17 13:52:34

Is that the same as them screwing us? Sorry. (Exits the cafe in disgrace)

MawBroon Fri 03-Feb-17 13:53:02

Pretty close!

Cherrytree59 Mon 06-Feb-17 17:04:21

I thought News at Ten (ITV?) Summed the POTUS up quite well
A President gone Rogue!