Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Soops cosy kitchen for kind peoples and precious pets !

(1001 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Tue 14-Feb-17 12:13:03

All ready for business...pull up a chair smile

Galen Tue 21-Mar-17 21:31:04

Keep peeing folks!

Galen Tue 21-Mar-17 21:29:52

Girl Power! Four young Nigerian girls have invented a generator that runs on urine.

urine powered generator
The invention was first displayed in Lagos, November, 2012, at the 4th annual Maker Faire, a pan-African innovation fair. Three 14-year-olds, Duro-Aina Adebola, Akindele Abiola, Faleke Oluwatoyin and 15-year-old Bello Eniola are the inventors.

urine powered generator

How The Urine Powered Generator Works

The system separates urine into nitrogen, water and hydrogen.

Urine is put into an electrolytic cell, which separates out the hydrogen.

The hydrogen goes into a water filter for purification, which then gets pushed into the gas cylinder.

The gas cylinder pushes hydrogen into a cylinder of liquid borax, which is used to remove the moisture from the hydrogen gas.

This purified hydrogen gas is pushed into the generator.

The girls say that one liter of urine gives six hours of electricity. But they do not specify exactly how much electricity is produced; enough to run a 60-watt light bulb, or a fridge and computer for six hours? We excitedly await more news…

Charleygirl Tue 21-Mar-17 21:23:25

Maybe we can use urine to run an electric car. Some nights I feel I could drive from London to Edinburgh without a refill as the tank had been filled up before I started! A cheap method of travelling.

Galen Tue 21-Mar-17 21:08:31

And yes! I am feeling better. Still not right, but feel I'll live (probably!'

Galen Tue 21-Mar-17 21:06:17

I knew I hadn't dreamt it!

Galen Tue 21-Mar-17 21:05:39

Date:
April 18, 2016
Source:
University of Bath
Summary:
Researchers have developed an innovative miniature fuel cell that can generate electricity from urine, creating an affordable, renewable and carbon-neutral way of generating power.
Share:
FULL STORY

(Left to right): Ph.D. student Jon Chouler; Senior Lecturer in the Department of Chemical Engineering, Dr. Mirella Di Lorenzo; Senior Lecturer in the Department of Chemistry, Dr. Petra Cameron.
Credit: Tim Gander
Researchers at the University of Bath have developed an innovative miniature fuel cell that can generate electricity from urine, creating an affordable, renewable and carbon-neutral way of generating power.

Greyduster Tue 21-Mar-17 19:52:26

Yes, Bellanonna and I frequently do, but during a walk? That's a first! grin.

Bellanonna Tue 21-Mar-17 19:37:21

Relaxing picture greyduster. You're entitled to nod off after a walk.

Greyduster Tue 21-Mar-17 19:24:24

What is it with these disappearing posts? The same thing happened to me yesterday on this thread. It's always the long ones!

Glad to hear that Georgie is continuing to make good progress, jud.

Too tired to write much today. I've been tired all day. We went for a walk to the local country park this afternoon, sat down on a bench, I leaned forward with my hands on top of my walking pole and my chin on top of my hands - and nodded off momentarily! Never done that before. DH was most surprised. Here is a photo of the boating lake.

Judthepud2 Tue 21-Mar-17 18:48:54

I have just written a long message with special comments to all of you going through problems and difficulties. It crashed and disappeared ?

So, just flowers to all of you dealing with, injuries, disappointments, poorly pets and builders!

I have been out of circulation for a little while, in Scotland meeting some lovely Grans and then victim to horrible dental stuff. You do not want to hear the details!

Georgie is doing well, energetic and on her feet most of the time now. She can go for little walks and enjoys the garden. Her left leg still a bit weak but improving. The incontinence continues but vet has given her medication which seems to be improving things gradually. A way to go yet though. Her main problem now though is that she has become really spoilt and looks for attention all the time. Moaning and pawing my leg as I write this!

See you in the new kitchen!

cornergran Tue 21-Mar-17 18:07:13

Blimey, Charley, just when I think it can't get worse it does. Mr C says WD40 should get the plaster dust off - now that seems odd to me, but would I argue? Not sure how much there is to shift, you could try a bit in an inconspicuous place? Otherwise if you or your cleaner has a steam mop that might loosen it, really don't know, clutching at straws for you. Please do have a rest, you surely need it.

Soop I really smiled at you unpacking those boxes, I do very similar things, talk myself out of things that really could go well. I don't suppose you would re-pack them?

We shouldnt need sensor lights for my night time perambulations as we have street lights to light the way. Haing aid that, someone always seems to move the position of the door door in the night, I'm guranteed to miscalculate and bump into it. Guess I could put one on the door, a bit like those lights you see on ship masts. Could be a new interior design trend?

Had a quieter day today, Littlest wore us out yesterday. Not on duty now for some weeks, phew, recovery time.

soop Tue 21-Mar-17 17:18:43

A wise decision, Elegran

Off to tidy the hoos. Have to negotiate with Rory concerning which of his gourmet foods he wishes to be served in his special dish. I overheard MacSporran telling him that he's a "very special pussy cat..." Well, if Rory doesn't know that to be a fact, he never will. His special cupboard is testament to his lofty position in our household.

Still no news of Georgie. sunshine

I'm hoping that Ann has managed to get away for the much needed break from routine.

Bye for now. Back tomorrow morning. I've a day without the ironing duties.

Thank you for your company. smile moon

Elegran Tue 21-Mar-17 16:33:56

No she doesn't. Sorry. Plaster dust goes for my throat and lungs so I avoid it whenever possible.

soop Tue 21-Mar-17 16:25:15

CharleyG Ask Elegran she knows about such things.

Yes, we'll be moving soon. You lot can get baking. I shall be washing the tartan rugs and hoping to find some bubbly languishing in the cupboard.

soop Tue 21-Mar-17 16:19:59

What have I been up to? Who cares? okay, I shall tell you anyway.

You already know that I've wasted much time emptying my wardrobe of "good stuff" that a posh shop might like to rummage through. And then I thought, hang on, my stuffs not all that posh. That is apart from half a dozen garments. I've unpacked every box, unwrapped every garment (all neat and tidy in tissue paper) and decided that I was being over optimistic. All the boxes now re-labelled. One jacket and skirt returned to the wardrobe. grin All the rest will be handed in at the Red Cross shop on Friday. The ladies who look after and display the stock are decent and kind. They volunteer to help good causes. I'm satisfied that I've done the right thing. I would like to think that a few beautiful outfits will be appreciated for the right reasons..

Charleygirl Tue 21-Mar-17 16:19:40

soop we will be moving again soon, are you sure that you are up to it?

The sun has gone in and it is quite cold here. The floor laying man has been cancelled, the floor needs some new planks first. The heating is on and I am having a short rest from my cleaning bug. Hopefully it will be a 4 hour virus.

Anybody any idea how I can remove hardened plaster dust from laminate and ceramic tiled floors? I looked in Lakeland but no joy- I may google it and see if I get a result.

Elegran Tue 21-Mar-17 16:19:03

If the light goes out while you are still enthroned, you just wave at it to turn it back on again.

Elegran Tue 21-Mar-17 16:17:30

Ask thatbags for a review - she liked the one on the stairs.

soop Tue 21-Mar-17 16:09:14

I like those sensors. I shall show MacSporran If I say that Elegran recommends, he'll come right in to check things out. wink

soop Tue 21-Mar-17 16:06:35

Galen You must be getting better. grin

Elegran I love your silly sense of humour.

soop Tue 21-Mar-17 16:04:34

bags You never need to apologise to me. I'm what my late Nana used to call - "a whittle arse". Whenever I'm experiencing buggerations, I always think to myself hmm best tell bags.

For a horrible moment I thought that you were going to say that you had dropped the torch on your toe. Relieved that it wasn't so. MrBags and Minibags would most definitely have stirred.

Elegran Tue 21-Mar-17 15:49:46

Have you thought of these, bags? www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002FCGI8Y?ref_=ams_ad_dp_asin_2&tag=gransnetforum-21 I have one on the stairs, one in the bathroom, and one in a dark cupboard where I an't see to read the labels on tins. Powered by four AA batteries, I'm afraid, not by wee, but they don't need a mains power point and the batteries last for ages. In any case, by the time you'd provided the wee to fuel the torch, it would be too late.

Galen Tue 21-Mar-17 15:48:20

I think I read recently how you can get eletricity from urine? Don't think it involved pissing from a great height onto a wheel that drives a dynamo. Although that is of course theoretically possible??

thatbags Tue 21-Mar-17 15:35:34

Wanders off to invent a torch that runs on wee.....

Or maybe not.

thatbags Tue 21-Mar-17 15:35:03

That is, a wee torch, not a wee torch, IYSWIM.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion