Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Good Morning Thursday

(30 Posts)
12Michael Thu 23-Feb-17 06:50:32

Good Morning Everyone,
Its wet and windy here in Brackley this morning, hopefully go out later.
Mick

Pittcity Thu 23-Feb-17 16:03:54

Great minds Mawbroon, I saved £10 by not having the blow dry and it was in a fashionable messy style by the time I got home.

NfkDumpling Thu 23-Feb-17 12:51:13

I hope Bags and all others within reach of Doris are surviving without too much damage.

NfkDumpling Thu 23-Feb-17 12:50:20

Just got back in from shopping. It's quite windy outside, and squally showers and our Scots pine is lashing around a bit - and underneath was a little wood pigeon squab! Dead, he must have been tossed from what passes for a nest, but about a week old. They're breeding already! shock

Karanlouise Thu 23-Feb-17 10:53:33

Good morning everyone, very windy here in Dorset but not as bad as some parts of the country. Have a good day.

thatbags Thu 23-Feb-17 10:11:27

Bit of a lull here now. I've been out digging ditches and making dams. Just popped in to say thinking of you, kitty.

MawBroon Thu 23-Feb-17 10:08:43

Pittcity read your post (getting a hair cut) and would just add "Don't waste money on the blow dry!!" grin

MawBroon Thu 23-Feb-17 10:07:22

Good morning everyone!
It may be a week early but I am reminded of the saying
"March comes in like a lion but goes out like a lamb".
Well it's quite like a lion here at the moment, but at least the rain has stopped.
Keep safe all who are in Doris's path!

annodomini Thu 23-Feb-17 10:04:41

As Nellie says, the wind has strengthened in Cheshire. Here the big leylendii across the brook is lashing quite violently. Luckily two others were cut back early this winter. If the big one came down, it could wreck my garden! The BBC forecast predicts that the wind will moderate late in the afternoon. Good luck to any of you right in the path of Doris.

ffinnochio Thu 23-Feb-17 09:59:14

Good morning to all, from France. All is calm.

whitewave Thu 23-Feb-17 09:48:32

Good morning

Bright sunshine and blue sky but very windy. Wish I'd renewed the tie to the Golden Showers rose when I should have done last week. It is really ancient, but has flowered its socks off every single year from June to November for at least 20 years. It looks so old now but I give it as much tlc as I can, except for forgetting the tie.

Nothing planned today. Might just relax and enjoy!!!!

Swanny Thu 23-Feb-17 09:48:30

Morning Mick and everyone. Another windy night here in N London. Sunshine at the moment but plenty of grey clouds up there too. Just over an hour ago it rained so hard I couldn't see the end of the terrace, and it was horizontal rain too grin Just in time to soak the poor kids going past my window on their way to school - 99% of them teenagers without coats confused

Nelliemoser Thu 23-Feb-17 09:41:03

It is only about an hour since I first posted on here about the weather and the wind has got up very quickly in that time. It is going to be yucky day.

PRINTMISS Thu 23-Feb-17 09:00:33

Good morning to you all, we have bright sunshine, but it rained heavily overnight and our gardener has cancelled, quite rightly. Not sure what the day will be like weatherwise, I do not think it is going to plan at the moment, so will wait and see, but I must go to the shops if I can. Thinking of you Kitty.

Bbnan Thu 23-Feb-17 08:57:02

Doris is still raging in Ireland...Winds up to 90 mph last night...Lots of damage with trees ,power cuts and flights cancelled ....Sure it's over UK by now....It is definitely a duvet day!!!!!!!

Anniebach Thu 23-Feb-17 08:55:21

Good morning from Mid Wales, heavy rain forecast

Nelliemoser Thu 23-Feb-17 08:52:38

Wet and windy in Cheshire. They have stopped the Thursday market in a local town which has probably been running for centuries. Market stalls flapping about in very gusty winds are not a good idea.

rosesarered Thu 23-Feb-17 08:25:40

Morning all from a wild and windy Oxfordshire, with some rain and a leaden sky.
The nearby birch trees have cast a ton of twiggy bits all over the lawns ( yet again!)
But no sense clearing up just yet, there will be more to come.
Two old friends coming over for cake and coffee late morning.Have a good day everyone.?☔️

Pittcity Thu 23-Feb-17 08:19:06

Good morning from a grey breezy Colchester. We are due to get the edge of Doris this afternoon.
Getting a hair cut this morning.

Nana3 Thu 23-Feb-17 08:16:34

Good morning. Wet and windy in Lancashire. Wrap up well everyone going out, your brolly will be useless in this wind.
I have to food shop and have a trip to local amateur theatre this evening to see a friend in a play.
Best wishes for today kitty.

hildajenniJ Thu 23-Feb-17 08:04:54

Good morning everyone.
It's very wet in the Tyne Valley. Rain, but not much wind yet. I think we're due the battering later. I'm just getting up, so now I'm off into the shower. Son coming for lunch, pasta of some sort so that will be easy.
Have a good day all, if you can in all this weather!

Greyduster Thu 23-Feb-17 07:52:16

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. We seem to have swopped the rain for the wind in South Yorkshire this morning - the sun shining at the moment confused - but I think mid afternoon will be the testing time. What a change from yesterday. My GS is booked onto a soccer camp today. They'll be lucky to stay upright! We have to go out this morning, though I would rather not. Stay safe, whatever you are doing.

Rinouchka Thu 23-Feb-17 07:50:49

Good morning everyone. Trees and bushes energetically swaying, trying to touch each other across the lawn in our garden. Might be Doris approaching.

Doris or not, we are out of food and shopping must be done. New hobs being installed so DH has to wait for delivery this am, followed by gas installer.

Good luck on achieving all you need to today, kitty.

bumblebee123 Thu 23-Feb-17 07:40:16

WEATHER FORECAST.

YUCK......

NfkDumpling Thu 23-Feb-17 07:39:52

Breezy here in Norfolk with squally showers coming through, but not as bad as forecast. We seem to be on the bottom edge of the storm. Hopefully it'll hold off until later in the day or bypass Heathrow completely as DD1 is flying back from Germany this morning and she hates flying.

No idea what we're doing today, DH is still hiding in bed, but I do feel we should to Something. Lunch out and cinema perhaps.

Hold on to your hats those that are being Doris battered and good luck Kitty

ninathenana Thu 23-Feb-17 07:26:44

Morning all.
We have the fringes of Doris here in N Kent. Not really a storm but wet and windy.
I had planned to go out but .....