Gransnet forums

Gransnet cafe

Welcome to the *Gransnet Café. This is a non-judgemental space for you to pop in for a cuppa with some virtual friends, seek out advice for a particular problem, or share an update on your life - important or trivial. Feel free to have your say and chat about your day, but please leave any arguments at the door. If you're struggling to find someone to talk to in real life, or are simply looking for a bit of a chat, this is the place for you.

Good Morning Friday

(29 Posts)
12Michael Fri 02-Mar-18 06:30:29

Good Morning Everyone ,
Its ceased snowing at the moment in Brackley but its windy, the snow once it had started yesterday was consistent throughout the day.
Usual shop a few essentials , and briefly pop out around 11.
Mick

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Mar-18 15:28:34

It's is still snowing steadily here. Our kind young neighbours came round earlier to see if we needed anything from the shops and asked if we wanted to be 'dug out'. We are fine and off they went sledging with their DC but it made me realise that we must be the 'elderly neighbours'.

TerriBull Fri 02-Mar-18 11:16:36

Good morning everyone, God this weather is awful, Siberia like temperatures here in the normal balmy south east, have not been going out much. My lap top packed up when I really needed it so haven't been on GN in the last week, but here I am with my new one, typing slowly as keyboard has a different feel and inadvertently typing a fair bit of nonsense as I frequently hit the wrong keys.

Sadly we have a funeral to attend this afternoon, but won't go to the reception at the hotel afterwards, we are not looking forward to driving 30 miles or so down in to Surrey, normally an easy journey, but anxious about journey back as more snow is expected pm.

I think things are expected to improve by Monday, lets hope so.

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Mar-18 10:50:23

ps and it is still snowing

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Mar-18 10:49:20

We're in the 'Red Zone' so it's been snowing in the night and has drifted and is quite deep in parts.
I do remember trudging to school through much deeper snow than this, and have bravely grin battled to work more recently than that so it must have been in the 1990s. At least we're both retired now and don't have to go out unless we feel like making snow angels or snowmen.
Stay warm and safe everyone.

loopyloo Fri 02-Mar-18 10:39:41

Morning everyone. Cold here in East London and windy. Am bored with the snow now and want to get out and see people. Might walk down to the village today and pick up my solar pond heating device. Oh, the irony.
I feel Very guilty because I have been inside and done very little, but will feel guilty if I fall over in the snow.

Kupari45 Fri 02-Mar-18 10:39:30

Hello Folks from rural Northumberland. Our village is cut off from A1 to Alnwick, and the A1 is closed anyway.
We moved here a month ago, and havent seen deep snow like this for years. However we are ok, freezer is full and heating is going full blast.
Our dog is hilarious when she goes out in the garden for a wee- she tries to perform and the snow is up to her ears although we have cleared a bit of garden for her.
I'm not very good at staying indoors, but its then only sensible thing to do. House has never been so tidy, and all the jobs done. I'm bored!!

Anniebach Fri 02-Mar-18 09:49:15

Good morning all from snowed up Mid Wales

annodomini Fri 02-Mar-18 09:47:41

Good morning. There's no more snow but the wind chill is ferocious. However, there was a Winterwatch special on BBC4 last night showing contemporary broadcasts of the Big Freeze of 1963 which I remember all too well. It put this 'little freeze' in perspective.

Tippy22 Fri 02-Mar-18 08:51:44

Goid morning everyone. No snow yesterday or overnight here in East Sussex but the forecast says it's due at lunch time. We'll see. Stay warm.

harrigran Fri 02-Mar-18 08:45:36

Good morning from the Arctic again. Snow and gale force winds making eveything difficult.
A friend is missing her father's funeral today because she could not get out of Hellensburgh to travel to Newcastle. Another friend in Cumbria, a nurse, was stuck for hours and had to be towed home by a tractor.
Schools remain closed and roads treacherous.

cornergran Fri 02-Mar-18 08:41:22

Morning All. Heavy skies and lying snow in our corner of Somerset. Feels very cold as still oh so windy. No buses running today. We seem to have been at the end of a wind tunnel, have mini (I hope) snow drifts while others have little snow outside. All very odd. More forecast for later and overnight Plan to check on a couple of neighbours, we have two shops in walking distance so can fetch anything they need. Other than that not much planned here. Take care everyone.

Pittcity Fri 02-Mar-18 08:31:27

Good morning from a breezy Colchester. No new snow overnight but more is forecast. I can hear the wind whistling outside. The men managed a walk to local shops yesterday and the essentials were in short supply. It's been 5 days now and I've had enough!

silverlining48 Fri 02-Mar-18 08:29:12

Good morning mick and everyone. I went to bed at 10 and was still awake at 3. A long night, but not unusual for me.
It didnt snow in the night but what was there is still there but probably even more icy, so will be staying home, yet again. Take great care if you do go out.

BlueBelle Fri 02-Mar-18 08:28:13

Our town of 70,000 is cut off from the rest of U.K. at moment no trains buses and roads unsafe or blocked
Freezing cold I only have heat in two room so hunkering down , staggered to work ( nearby) yesterday and will today if it’s open gives me company and warmer than my house ?

Mapleleaf Fri 02-Mar-18 08:26:00

Good morning, everyone.
As greyduster says, no fresh snow here, but what we had hasn’t gone yet and it’s blowing an icy wind. The sky looks grey, but apparently no snow is forecast for today. We’ll see. I hope they are right though, I’ve had enough of it now!
Those of you venturing out, take care on the icy roads and paths, I know what you mean about cabin fever, but take it carefully out and about.

ginny Fri 02-Mar-18 08:17:30

Good morning.
Not snowing now but plenty on the ground. Cold and windy in N Bucks.
Looking after DGS as Dd is in hospital. Will be busy I’m sure.
Take care everyone.

Greyduster Fri 02-Mar-18 07:50:12

Good morning Michael and all GNs. No more snow here in South Yorkshire but it must have been very cold last night because our heating came on at some unearthly hour. Never known it in this house. We must try and get out for some fresh air today but I am not relishing it. Hope your back improves, whitewave. Stay safe folks.

whitewave Fri 02-Mar-18 07:38:49

Morning from a windy, snowy and freezing South Downs

To cap it all I’ve done my back in so am now struggling to walk at all. Just given up for a bit to try to get rid of the pain and gone back to bed, having been up since 5.30. I will keep moving though it is essential with a “back”

Hey ho these things are sent to try us.

Everyone seems to affected. I wonder if there is anywhere which hasn’t had snow? What about the far west of Cornwall?

Keep warm and safe one and all

NannyJan53 Fri 02-Mar-18 07:37:51

Good Morning all

Roads are lethal here, so won't be driving. May try walking to Stourbridge this afternoon as our U3A are putting on a comedy play, written by a member. We live on a hill so could be dicey walking down!

Partner has walked to the Train Station this morning, but there are warnings about delays to trains, so he may be back soon!

Keep safe and warm everyone.

MawBroon Fri 02-Mar-18 07:18:48

Good morning from a grey N Bucks. It snowed all day yesterday so it’s a bit “deep and crisp and even” but must have stopped in the night.
Don’t think I’ll be going anywhere today, cancelled my doctors appointment on line very early this morning,as I couldn’t sleep for worrying about getting to Stratford tomorrow. Most important, getting Hattie to the kennels, deep in Salcey Forest. Hmm.
Keep safe everybody!

Gagagran Fri 02-Mar-18 07:12:51

Good Morning everyone! Well they got the forecast right and spot on 3pm the snow started yesterday and for teh first time in the 6 years we have lived here on the south coast, we have laying snow! It's still blowing in hard from the east too. Wuthering!

I'm glad we did the shopping yesterday and don't need to venture out today. School was closed so no taxi service required.

I am going to light the wood burner shortly so we will be toasty. DH will be in his shirt sleeves - he is never cold.

Stay warm and safe everyone. The sun will be back! sunshine

NanKate Fri 02-Mar-18 07:02:54

Morning Mick and All.

A thin covering of snow in South Bucks but more is due today. So pleased I sent for a lovely padded winter coat from Landsend recommended by Kitty. It is so snug and warm and I got it half price.

I am managing small 20 minute walks from my house each
day as I too get cabin fever being stuck in the house every day even though I love my home.

Thankfully our young papergirl is managing to deliver our paper each day.

kittylester Fri 02-Mar-18 06:59:54

Morning all!

It's really windy in North Leicestershire and the wind seems to be finding every little access point in our old house.

I'm not going out today apart from nipping to the freezer in the garage to get some soup.

Keep safe and warm everyone.

Marydoll Fri 02-Mar-18 06:56:57

Good morning all.
Safe journey mumofmadboys.

ninathenana Fri 02-Mar-18 06:38:43

Morning Mick and everyone.

Very windy in Kent and the sea is frozen along the shoreline. No snow since yesterday morning, though due this afternoon.
I have to leave the house today, I have cabin fever and need to food shop.
Be careful everyone.